Great Pyrenees Puppy Thread!

I've given this to many animals countless times and it has worked for me, some people just cannot afford to go to the vet, also vets don't always work I know from personal experience.

In fact I've saved lives before by giving them a mix of vitamins, vitamins are natural it would take a ton to even remotely come close to toxic levels, in fact I myself take mega doses daily.

If a person cannot afford vet care for their animals, they should probably reconsider things like breeding. Sure, people fall on hard times and there is aid out there for that (care credit, patient assistance funds, etc) but I urge people to rethink owning pets if struggling to pay for proper care in emergencies is consistently a problem. Not to mention the number of things that can go wrong during animal parturition (the birthing process).

Your information about vitamins is just not correct. While it can take quite a bit to overdose on a water soluble vitamin, vitamins A, D, E, and K are fat soluble and can be very easily overdosed in healthy animals. Considering vitamin D's intrinsic role in calcium homeostasis, it is not something I would suggest using in a puppy (or any animal) before having blood checked. This also includes humans!

If a person cannot afford vet care for their animals, they should probably reconsider things like breeding. Sure, people fall on hard times and there is aid out there for that (care credit, patient assistance funds, etc) but I urge people to rethink owning pets if struggling to pay for proper care in emergencies is consistently a problem. Not to mention the number of things that can go wrong during animal parturition (the birthing process).

Your information about vitamins is just not correct. While it can take quite a bit to overdose on a water soluble vitamin, vitamins A, D, E, and K are fat soluble and can be very easily overdosed in healthy animals. Considering vitamin D's intrinsic role in calcium homeostasis, it is not something I would suggest using in a puppy (or any animal) before having blood checked. This also includes humans!

If you noticed most threads stated by the op have to do with a sick animal yet they wont take any to a vet... If they can't afford it they Should downsize.

If you noticed most threads stated by the op have to do with a sick animal yet they wont take any to a vet... If they can't afford it they Should downsize.

That is an understatement. When nearly all the threads a person makes is about sick animals, there is something severely wrong with the care they are receiving.

when it comes to breeding, that is the attitude that gives us so many genetic diseases in our dogs. plus, whether you see them as "pets" or livestock bred to produce money, you have to invest to get healthy dogs. Since she has zero clue what these pups died from (plus she said that she wouldn't go to the vet because she didn't trust them not that it wasn't affordable), she needs to notify the owner of every single puppy that this female has given birth too and let them know that there is a chance that the pups could be prone to seizures. Why? Because 1) it gives them a heads up so if they notice strange behavior in the future - not all seizures manifest in the stereotypical jerking spasms that many would recognize immediately. Some people simply notice that their dog will sometimes seem disoriented, confused or growl like they don't recognize their own family. and 2) and most importantly, since there is a chance that one of those owners wants to breed and isn't likely to be the type to health test and prove their dogs, they need to know to watch out what partner they choose since there may be genetic issues in the lines and careful selection is necessary to avoid issues with future litters they may be planning on. Sine the bitc* has been bred before, there is no excuse about this litter being accidental. The care should have been taken before the first breeding happened. Now it's trying to shut the coop door once the chickens are out. It's about making sure the next generation was healthy instead of just crossing your fingers and hoping for the best. Here are just a few of the medical issues you have to check for in Great Pyrenees (and most of them you don't see signs of until the dog is older or they die unexpectedly)
Hip Dysplasia

[COLOR=333333]
  • OFA Evaluation - OR
  • PennHIP Evaluation - OR
  • Federation Cynologique Internationale (FCI) - OR
  • OVC Evaluation - OR
  • AVA (Australian Veterinay Association) HIPS
[/COLOR]
Patellar Luxation

[COLOR=333333]
  • OFA Evaluation
  • GDC Evaluation - OR
[/COLOR]
Health Elective (One of the following tests)

[COLOR=333333]
  • OFA Cardiac Evaluation
  • OFA thyroid evaluation from an approved laboratory
  • OFA Elbow Dysplasia Evaluation
  • OFA evaluation based on BAER test
  • OFA Shoulder OCD Evaluation
  • ACVO Eye Exam - Results registered with OFA - OR
  • ACVO Eye Exam - Results registered with CERF
  • Canine Multifocal Retinopathy (CMR). Optigen test results registered with the OFA. First Generation Offspring of tested dogs eligible forClear By Parentage
  • Genetic Screening for Glanzmann's Thrombasthenia (GT). Auburn test results registered with the OFA. First Generation Offspring of tested dogs eligible for Clear By Parentage
[/COLOR]
Chances are anyone that buys a puppy from a breeder that does not do these screenings/tests on breeding stock BEFORE breeding them, dos not care that the puppies may be defective. So owners of these puppies won't care that puppies from this breeding have died from seizures. And concerning vet care, if you own animals that are pets OR "livestock" if you cannot afford at least basic vet care for them, you should NOT own the animal.

Chances are anyone that buys a puppy from a breeder that does not do these screenings/tests on breeding stock BEFORE breeding them, dos not care that the puppies may be defective. So owners of these puppies won't care that puppies from this breeding have died from seizures.
And concerning vet care, if you own animals that are pets OR "livestock" if you cannot afford at least basic vet care for them, you should NOT own the animal.
Agree with this 100%. And if you can't afford the extra expense of proving and testing your foundation animals, you shouldn't be breeding!

Exactly. And you probably could have found a female that "looked" just as sound as that GSD that you could have innocently bred him to, and created more dogs with far worse hips if you hadn't known to have him checked.

Exactly. And you probably could have found a female that "looked" just as sound as that GSD that you could have innocently bred him to, and created more dogs with far worse hips if you hadn't known to have him checked.
even knowing that he had bad hips, I had people ask me almost daily if I would breed him. Even after telling them that he had horrible hips, they wouldnt believe it because he "looks fine"

I breed GSDs and I have invested over 12 years in research before I even purchased a puppy that could POTENTIALLY be used for breeding.
Then 2 years of training and titling before I was able to begin health tests. Then 2 more years of continued training and titling. So far, he's sired 1 litter of pups. Another female is being considered for him now, pending some additional DNA tests.

It doesn't matter if you do not trust a veterinarian, you need a veterinarian. Nobody here can give you the medical advise you need, you need a professional. You need to get off the darn computer and call an emergency veterinarian now. Since you waited until night time to take action, you'll have to pay more because of it.

She is eating i have an appointment at 230 pm tomorrow

I agree with the others. Definitely get the whole litter and mom into the vet for a check sooner rather than later.

There is no reason not to trust a vet. If you've had a bad experience with one, you can certainly switch to another that you feel more comfortable with. It's important for clients to feel comfortable with their vet.

hopefully that isn't too late. Mom and the entire litter should have been checked out after birth. Moms can retain pups or part of a placenta, get sick and poison the milk, killing the entire litter. Fading puppy syndrome is a name given when puppies weaken and die with no apparent cause. Sometimes you will lose one pup, sometimes the entire litter 1 at a time.

what is the family history on both sides for puppy mortality? were both the mom and dad CERFed clear for heart issues? How about the other dogs in the pedigree?
what kind of whelping box does she have? is mom taking this pup and leaving her away from the others - a common thing when she knows that there is something wrong with the pup and is leaving it to die. is there a heat source that pups can move closer or farther away from?

the mom has had 2 litters this is her 3rd and has never had a sick pup
her whelping box is in a garage away from drafts filled with towels and warmth

Back
Top Bottom