Great Pyrenees Puppy Thread!

puppies9099

Songster
6 Years
Oct 17, 2013
Classified
Our Great Pyrenees had puppies 5 days ago. She gave birth to 10 beautiful puppies, 6 boys and 4 girls.
Today one of the girl puppies was not as lively as the others, I picked her up and she felt lifeless and limp. She barely grunts and will barely eat we have to feed her with a syringe i milked the mom and got a tsp. She ate it but is very weak i fear she will die. I already have someone interested in a female puppy and i would hate for 1 to die plz help.
AND I DON'T TRUST VETS!!!

Our Great Pyrenees had puppies 5 days ago. She gave birth to 10 beautiful puppies, 6 boys and 4 girls.
Today one of the girl puppies was not as lively as the others, I picked her up and she felt lifeless and limp. She barely grunts and will barely eat we have to feed her with a syringe i milked the mom and got a tsp. She ate it but is very weak i fear she will die. I already have someone interested in a female puppy and i would hate for 1 to die plz help.
AND I DON'T TRUST VETS!!!

It doesn't matter if you do not trust a veterinarian, you need a veterinarian. Nobody here can give you the medical advise you need, you need a professional. You need to get off the darn computer and call an emergency veterinarian now. Since you waited until night time to take action, you'll have to pay more because of it.

UPDATE
the puppy died she had seizures and went into a coma all night and died this morning.
another puppy died too she had worse seizures and i think both puppies had fading puppy syndrome the others are fine
And you did not seek proper veterinary care when the puppy had the first seizure...why? You just let her sit there all night with no intervention? Did you take her to that vet appointment you said you made, or skip it because she appeared to be recovering?

If you are unwilling to seek medical intervention when it is nessasary, you need to stop and evalulate what you are doing. Breeding is a responsibility you are likely not ready for, especially if none of the animals being bred have any health testing done whatsoever.

Well...too late to help this pup and maybe the entire litter, but I'll try. For starters, I am a vet, and I find that people who "don't trust vets" are often the ones that are reluctant to spend money then ****** when the vet can't wave their hands over the pet and heal it for free. With that out of the way, seizing in a young puppy can be hypoglycemia (low blood sugar) temperature problems (remember pups can't maintain their own temp for weeks, and people often overheat them) exposure of the mother to certain infectious diseases (distemper, toxoplasma, etc), as well as other environmental toxins, maternal septicemia, etc. The tough part is there's no way for you or anyone online to tell. It sounds like you are doing a kneejerk reaction of I don't want to talk about this and I'll never have another litter, but you still have most of this litter (for now at least) and if you don't want to watch the entire litter die, you are going to have to return to the vet, opt to pay for testing, possibly take the dead puppies to the state lab for post mortem where they can try and determine what happened. It won't be cheap but breeding dogs the right way is never cheap and never a money earner.

Please everyone, do not bash the OP. You will get this thread locked. You cannot make assumptions that anyone is an animal hoarder because they didn't provide the proper veterinary care. The pups were not purposeful, the bitc: becoming pregnant was an accident. You do not know the entire scenario. Perhaps the OP is young and has no say in matters regarding the pups. Perhaps her and her family are in tough economical times. Perhaps they do not see taking dogs to a vet. Not everyone is like you; in many cultures, dogs are either food or a tool. They are not always pets. The OP's family may not think of a dog as an animal that should have so much money invested in it. Please be considerate before posting. Bashing the OP does nothing. Facts and advice are fine, bashing is not.

If they are straped for cash then the parents need to rehome a few of their animals. Instead of breeding the dog that they bred two other times and then sell sick puppies that were never seen to a vet...if they dont see dogs as pets or whatever and they plan on selling those puppies to someone that is then odds are those pups won't make good anything pets or guards...

. The OP's family may not think of a dog as an animal that should have so much money invested in it.
when it comes to breeding, that is the attitude that gives us so many genetic diseases in our dogs.
plus, whether you see them as "pets" or livestock bred to produce money, you have to invest to get healthy dogs.

Since she has zero clue what these pups died from (plus she said that she wouldn't go to the vet because she didn't trust them not that it wasn't affordable), she needs to notify the owner of every single puppy that this female has given birth too and let them know that there is a chance that the pups could be prone to seizures.
Why? Because 1) it gives them a heads up so if they notice strange behavior in the future - not all seizures manifest in the stereotypical jerking spasms that many would recognize immediately. Some people simply notice that their dog will sometimes seem disoriented, confused or growl like they don't recognize their own family. and 2) and most importantly, since there is a chance that one of those owners wants to breed and isn't likely to be the type to health test and prove their dogs, they need to know to watch out what partner they choose since there may be genetic issues in the lines and careful selection is necessary to avoid issues with future litters they may be planning on.

Sine the bitc* has been bred before, there is no excuse about this litter being accidental. The care should have been taken before the first breeding happened. Now it's trying to shut the coop door once the chickens are out.
It's about making sure the next generation was healthy instead of just crossing your fingers and hoping for the best.

Here are just a few of the medical issues you have to check for in Great Pyrenees (and most of them you don't see signs of until the dog is older or they die unexpectedly)

Hip Dysplasia

• OFA Evaluation - OR
  • PennHIP Evaluation - OR
  • Federation Cynologique Internationale (FCI) - OR
  • OVC Evaluation - OR
  • AVA (Australian Veterinay Association) HIPS
Patellar Luxation

• OFA Evaluation
  • GDC Evaluation - OR
Health Elective (One of the following tests)

• OFA Cardiac Evaluation
  • OFA thyroid evaluation from an approved laboratory
  • OFA Elbow Dysplasia Evaluation
  • OFA evaluation based on BAER test
  • OFA Shoulder OCD Evaluation
  • ACVO Eye Exam - Results registered with OFA - OR
  • ACVO Eye Exam - Results registered with CERF
  • Canine Multifocal Retinopathy (CMR). Optigen test results registered with the OFA. First Generation Offspring of tested dogs eligible forClear By Parentage
  • Genetic Screening for Glanzmann's Thrombasthenia (GT). Auburn test results registered with the OFA. First Generation Offspring of tested dogs eligible for Clear By Parentage

She is eating i have an appointment at 230 pm tomorrow
hopefully that isn't too late. Mom and the entire litter should have been checked out after birth. Moms can retain pups or part of a placenta, get sick and poison the milk, killing the entire litter. Fading puppy syndrome is a name given when puppies weaken and die with no apparent cause. Sometimes you will lose one pup, sometimes the entire litter 1 at a time.

what is the family history on both sides for puppy mortality? were both the mom and dad CERFed clear for heart issues? How about the other dogs in the pedigree?
what kind of whelping box does she have? is mom taking this pup and leaving her away from the others - a common thing when she knows that there is something wrong with the pup and is leaving it to die. is there a heat source that pups can move closer or farther away from?

Please, before you decide to breed again, get your dog checked out. New crazes and fads totally destroy vets' reputations, not all vets should be grouped together. They are most probably much more experienced with dogs than you are, no offense intended, and they can keep your dogs from dying when possible. They have access to medicines you don't, and information that you don't. Please let your animals have the proper care they deserve. Dying puppies are very hard to save at home unless you are either a skilled veterinarian or an experienced breeder who breeds dogs as a job or serious hobby. Please consider this before breeding new your dogs again.

Last edited:
You do not have to take the mother and the whole litter to the vet, I have along with my late mother bred dogs just fine.

Try giving the puppy some vitamin d, C, and b12 in the water mixed with a tad bit of honey if this does not work asap take the puppy to the vet.

Honey should not be given to neonatal or young animals. It contains a level of botulism that can be tolerated by adults but not infants with immature immune systems. This is the same reason you should not give honey to human infants.

Additionally, vitamin D in an animal that does not need it can cause a host of calcium regulation issues, all of which would play havoc on a developing animal. If a puppy or litter is sick, one should not play around with home remedies and should take the animal to the vet sooner rather than later IMO.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom