Green Egger Naked Neck Thread

That's neat. I've actually seen hens lay eggs before but never have videoed it.

I think the reason she lays a blue egg though is beause her mother (if she was a blue egg layer) mated with a leghorn rooster which came from a white egg.
Well all the hens before her were green egg layers. The father would have been a white egg line.

That's as far as I know.. I'm pretty sure that's the only colour he was collecting from them.. Could be wrong. I know the ones I got from him before he bred them to the leghorn only laid green eggs.

I wouldn't call them perfect. They are a light sky blue. Not pastel blue like my Ameraucanas. But they are blue :)

Lucky I think? I'm pretty sure the mothers all laid a green egg too. Not sure how two of them ended up laying blue?? It's confusing, sure. I did take a video of the egg coming out of her, so no one can tell me there is no way she lays a blue egg! ha :)

Glad someone else knows what I'm talking about! Never got white eggs or even exceptionally light tan eggs either.

The usual wisdom is that blue eggers are result of the O gene combined with white.. green being O with variously tinted eggshells. Sure would like to know how the blue eggs happen when white egger hens are lacking.

Don;t get me wrong anyone, it is right to normally expect green eggs out of blue mixed with tan/brown eggers..

great video :)

Last edited:
I don't think any of my green egg genetics survived the massacre last year. Not all of this years pullets are laying, but all that are lay some form of tan. If / when I try to add green / blue back in it would be from hatching eggs of already nn colored layers. I don't want to add the non nn back into the flock and dilute the amount of nearly clean necks again.

I don't think any of my green egg genetics survived the massacre last year. Not all of this years pullets are laying, but all that are lay some form of tan. If / when I try to add green / blue back in it would be from hatching eggs of already nn colored layers. I don't want to add the non nn back into the flock and dilute the amount of nearly clean necks again.
If you go with pea combs, it reduces the bowtie. I think Kev told me that.. My white hens gave off completely naked chicks. :) I didn't keep any of them. Was so sick of seeing white chicks :/

Should have kept this one I know.

I noticed that in some of my current ones.

It even reduced the feathering on the breast of one of the cockerals. I think that one I might keep for a breeding rooster.

Not that I can even follow through with my current projects right now, but just posting cause I'm intrigued by the genetics here and want to follow along.

I have this rooster:

He is a full brother to this pullet:

He is in with three of my NN pullets. I think only one is laying at all right now. Anyway he is out of a green egg and has a pea comb. I'm hoping to get some Green Egger Naked Necks (GENN) out of him. I think he is pretty and am not going to hang onto him very long because he is kin to a lot of my hens plus he is not naked necked. Going to try to keep a naked necked one out of the current batch. Just trying to get a few more before he goes.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom