Harry horse & Charlie adventures! Horse chat & much more! Everyone welcome!

Keeper is home! :ya
Settled in his cage right now but he’s not overly impressed! He’s only allowed to come out on his lead and the blue rubber ring is really annoying him!
197E2115-5DC3-451C-ACBE-C41B44F0522C.jpeg

DFF0B576-9D89-49AC-B67D-2DF5B91CA16B.jpeg

So pleased to have him home with us again even though we have a long road ahead of us.
Thank you everyone for all your kind words :hugs

What a beautiful face :love

That’s his lure you in face :lol:

That is fabulous news Kim!! I am happy he is healing so fast!

When can his flotation device come off, Monday? :) I am sure he can't wait to be romping the fields soon.

And what a face he has!! :)

Yes fingers crossed Monday for the float to come off. When the stitches are removed it should be able to go!

Hey Kim, how's Keeper doing? (And Harry too of course)

Yes we need to know!!! :D

He’s doing good in himself thank you both :hugs Extremely frustrated though at being in his cage :barnie He’s doing quite a bit of crying/barking when in there because he knows if he starts creating one of us will get him out. I’m afraid today though he just had to take it as I was snowed under in the office. His paddy eventually stopped when he realised I wasn’t going to get him out.
We had some snow yesterday and he was trying to pile it up on the grass and was rather giddy but could not play because he was on the lead. Poor lad!

Harry is doing ok :) He had to stay in today as it was treacherous under foot with the ice. Some of the snow had slightly melted but then it froze overnight so everywhere was like an ice rink :( No way could we risk taking them down the field. He wasn’t happy but it was the safer option.

We are back from the vets and he’s settled in sleeping at the moment as he’s still a tad groggy. He has his buoyancy aid back on as he has stitches again. The original screw had to come out as it would not bite in to the bone and was still loose. He has used a slightly bigger one now but it goes through right to the other side so he had to make an incision on the inside of his leg and snip the end off. Fingers crossed this one holds ok or at least long enough for the bone to heal :fl

Maybe Keeper needs to be on mild sedatives to keep him calm? Not long term or anything too heavy so that he's totally out of it, but just enough to make him a bit sleepy. Less inclined to bounce around.

Keep us posted Kim. :hugs

We tried the ACP Leyla but it only lasted 3-4 hours. We are now going to try having him out longer whilst he’s on the lead in the house. Hoping this will stop him being wild when he does come out of the cage. I have also looked at one of those plug in devices that are meant to calm them down ~ https://www.adaptil.com/uk/ Not sure if it will work but right now I’m willing to give anything a try!

Yes, his breed and age does not exactly lend itself to calm and quiet recuperation, does it! It might be worth discussing with the vet a longer term low level sedative.... not sure if the ACP can be used on a daily basis like that or if it is more of a "one off when needed" type drug.

This is where our problem lies, his age and breed! Orthopaedic vets says he does not want him on sedatives but to keep him entertained more :hmm It’s hard work thiughwhen he leaping around on the lead like a spring lamb!

Kim, so sorry you're going through this. :hugs hope the new screw works. :fl

Aww no! So sorry to hear that. :(

Thank you both :hugs

arrgh... Sorry for more puppy problems. If not sedatives, maybe keeping a bulky soft cast on longer to keep him from doing too much too soon with his leg... like a kid in a snowsuit? This little guy isn't going anywhere! :D
DSC04517.jpg

Hoping for good news soon.
Hang in there, Kim. :hugs

I really wish that was an option with the snowsuit!

Thanks for the update Kim! Glad he's feeling better but being hyper is worrisome...poor guy just doesn't understand the need for rest. It's hard to keep a good dog down.

It is worrisome and trying to find that balance is proving difficult but I’m sure we will get there in the end.

Glad he's filling better!

And that sounds like a good plan!

Kongs are good cause you can stuff them full of peanut butter or whatever he likes and him keep him occupied longer.

Although if he's a strong chewer you'll want the black/extreme one but if not the regular red or puppy one should be fine.

I don't know if you have anything similar to a Tractor Supply or feed store there but I got a bag of hooves from TSC and Gator loves them even with nothing on them. He'll just grab one and gnaw away. Though sometimes I do put something in it. They might have them at a regular store too. Or bully sticks, he loves those too. But some chews might require a bit more supervision.

I'm sure you know all this though having Mac.

But one thing is I wouldn't recommend rawhide. It's dangerous for dogs if swallowed

My plan on the kong failed yesterday, all they had were the regular red puppy ones and he would shred that! His teeth are still sharp! They have an order coming in next week of the black one’s so I have asked they put one on hold for me. I did manage to get some other pretty strong chews though which are keeping him happy :)

How is Keeper doing today? :)

He’s good thank you Leyla :) Full of beans but we have put him out in his run for a while today. He’s always been good in there from being a puppy and it’s done him the world of good today! His run outdoors has always been part of his routine so it’s been nice to have a little of that back today. He was settled in there with a chew, had a little nap in his kennel then wanted to come out. Thankfully he has been good in there. No running, no jumping and quiet!

He has Scott yes. He has one more year left at secondary school then he's going to college to study gamekeeping Sept 2018.
Not sure which course yet as it all depends on what grades he gets next year in his final exams. He's hoping to get accepted here ~ http://www.newtonrigg.ac.uk/

If he gets accepted there he will have to live on campus and move out of home, at least during term time :(

Back
Top Bottom