How Much DE (Diatomaceous Earth) Should I Feed My Chickens

I found a Material Safety Data Sheet for DE on http://www.apacapacas.com/msds.html
It also includes feeding rates for different livestock and poultry. I think this farm used the official MSDS and added the feed-rate information since I can't ever recall seeing that on one before.

Also, I have always read caution should be taken when spreading DE to make sure it did not get into your eyes, or that you breath too much of it in either: It can be a strong iritant for both the eyes and lungs. For that reason alone, I make sure that the chickens are out free ranging when I treat the coop and nesting boxes and I wear a dust mask.
Earlier this year my auto waterer tipped over and flooded part of the coop floor overnight (it has since been tip-proofed). Within two days a swarm of flies of biblical proportions had invaded the coop and the smell was horrid. I donned my dust mask...chased everyone out and dusted the floor with a couple cups of the food-grade DE. All the flies were gone within 48 hours and the smell much improved as well. I put a layer of it under the bedding in all their nest boxes and dust their roosts once a month as well, but have yet to add it to their food. I inherited a flock of birds last year from somebody that could no longer afford them: They all had severe cases of leg mites. Between heavy applications of bag balm and DE dustings the mites were irradicated and the birds safely added to my flock.

I also use the stuff underneath the bedding in my daughter's guinea pig and rabbit cages. They are house kept and seem to attract this tiny fly called the lesser house fly: I hate them. Since beginning the DE regimine, we no longer have the issues with these pests that we previously did; it seems to kill the maggots that dig their was under the bedding. We would literally have these things within 48 hours of cleaning the rabbits cage....it was ridiculous. Now, we do a full clean weekly and add that crucial layer of DE before bedding. Oh, and I also use it in my garden for fire ant control. The ants nearly killed my eggplants and I dusted them with DE then poof...the ants left and never came back. While I am not saying that it is magic powder, I can say that I love the stuff and have found a ton of uses for it.

In the study mentioned which showed no effect on worm infestation for those free range hens fed an organic diet which included 2% DE, is it possible they were simply not fed enough DE to make it effective on the parasites? Other posts mentioned a rate of 5% for parasite infestations with good results. I am just learning about all this so this is just a thought.

Last edited:
A lot of you are saying you sprinkle it in the feed to control bugs in the feed...
Wouldn't a chicken peck at or eat any bugs in the feed?

Idk about everything said on here but I bought a five pound bag at my local grange for 25.00 it says to use 1-2 cups for 50# of food I'm not real good at math but I would say a tablespoon or so in a pound I bought a 40# bag opened it poured in a little over a cup and shook. I'm a newbie to chickens but willing to try anything that might keep them happy and healthy and was suggested to me by someone I think is experienced in chicken raising you really have to pick a couple people and use their advice or you could go nuts :) I did I stopped sleeping spent 9 hrs in the sun with no water because I was terrified I was doing something wrong and they wouldn't be safe if I wasn't watching them. Use your best instincts at some point is where I have gotten to. Like I said my info is from the bag it was in the poultry section and says for poultry on it I hope I helped to answer your question :)

A lot of you are saying you sprinkle it in the feed to control bugs in the feed... Wouldn't a chicken peck at or eat any bugs in the feed?
They might pick at bugs in the feeder, but that won't help any feed you have stored in larger containers
Chickens only eat a short time each day, while many bugs will basically eat non stop 24/7

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom