How Much DE (Diatomaceous Earth) Should I Feed My Chickens

I wouldn't feed it to them at all. Good for insects, bugs, etc. when put in litter and also kills lice on the chicks. Make SURE it is food grade DE, the other kind
can kill 'em.

That's what I read. I am getting some to just put in their bedding. I think some are using it for internal parasites, but I read about using organic apple cider vinegar {I use BRAGGS} in their water, and I've been doing that. I use a tiny amount, like 1 tablespoon per gallon of water. Our chickens drank it right off. You can find it online or in most grocery stores now. I also take it! Make sure it's stirred when first put in. I sure wouldn't want to feed Diatomaceous earth just in case it might harm them.

Last edited:
This study says there is value in putting DE in the Chicken's food.
http://www.absorbentproductsltd.com...arth-Free-Range-Organic-Laying-Hens-Study.pdf

This one does too, but neither of these make the amount to feed clear (at least to me). However this one has tables that suggest 1% would be right.
http://www.absorbentproductsltd.com...oiler-Performance-and-Odour-Control-Study.pdf
Both "studies" cited werec onducted by the people who manufacture the DE that was used in the studies. What a surprise that they found the product to be effective.
Check some more legitimate studies for very different results.

Nit too helpful. If you know of more honest studies you should cite them so we could read them.

Nit too helpful. If you know of more honest studies you should cite them so we could read them.

I have been sprinkling the DE at top of my shaving in the coop, and raking it around. I did it once, then again 2 weeks later to make sure. I think maybe once a month this way. BUT I have no desire to feed this to my chickens. I have put raw, unpasturized apple cider vinigar, with the Mother, right in the trough area of the waterer now and then. I read some where that this clears them of worms, etc. I only put a few drops, and moved it around with my finger to make sure it's not all in one place.

Also, if your chickens won't drink it, add less drops! I am going by the watering system we made up with the 5 gallon bucket. I don't put it right in the bucket, but in the "drinking area".

I use DE (food grade) around my home outside, sprinkle it on the floor of the coop during litter change and have it in the dust bath with couple of shovels of the dirt from the yard/pen. My friend who has a rescue is huge into organic treatments and swears by it for intestinal parasites. Again the jury is split, some say doesn't work, some say it does.

I use DE (food grade) around my home outside, sprinkle it on the floor of the coop during litter change and have it in the dust bath with couple of shovels of the dirt from the yard/pen. My friend who has a rescue is huge into organic treatments and swears by it for intestinal parasites. Again the jury is split, some say doesn't work, some say it does.

I'm not worried about it not working, I'm worried about it damaging delicate chicken organs. You never know! I will try the sprinkling it outside around the coop.

I used to use it around and on my mini lop rabbits. I really don't feel it will hurt the chickens, given they are out free ranging and who knows what they actually eat when our back is turned. The DE is microscopic ground shells. The sharp sides of the power are reported to pierce the outside of the hard shelled insect and dehydrate them from the inside out. Hope that helps. My birds have had it around them and yes, they must be ingesting it if it is in their dust bath and floats around. They have been around it for 14 weeks and I have very full of energy, robust, busy yard birds.

Back
Top Bottom