I have to talk POLISH!

Pics
i went to the coop this morning and my WCB Polish rooster was all bloody around his beak and neck...also had feathers missing on his chest. there
is no other rooster in pen with him but one of the hens just started laying 3 days ago and has layed two eggs. would the hen be
beating up on him as i have no clue how he got this way.....

I posted that a while ago, and you're complaining now? I'm not saying fiddling is a bad idea, all colors and new breeds were made that way. I'm not trying to put you down either. How come you didn't PM me about this?

i looked for signs of predator and none was noticeable.

i also looked for blood on wire and never found any.

that is why i was wondering if anyone every had a hen attack there rooster as i am running out of things to think of that coud have injured him...

yes some hens will try to dominate rooster, but if his beak is bloody and the hen is uninjured I doubt that was the case. it is more likely he either self inflicted the damage to himself, or he fought something that snuck in. even a rat, or a cat, or who knows.

I am wanting to get polish chickens (a small flock) this spring of gold laced beauties and am planning on one coop with three spearations for my different breeds. I have toyed with the idea of covering one of the runs to keep the polish chickens .out od the weather bc i have read about them getting their crests wet and would like to keep them as clean as possible. My question is this: the run obviously will turn into dirt quickly, from both the chickens amd the lack of rain - is this ok or should i plan on throwing a sand bed in the run or someother type of bedding-like material? Like wood chips? Their coop will be pine shavinfs amd i plan on building some ladder type toys for them to play on in the run but am concerned with their cleanliness. Any input is greatly appreciated! Am only plannimg on a trio of these beautoful birds to start, but i have read on here about chicken math.....
tongue.png
tongue.png

Quote:
Hi and welcome! The dirt is fine. In fact it's good for them, they take dirt baths to actually get clean. If sand would make you feel better, it's okay to use it. But dirt is just fine.

I have covered sand and really like it. My polish are not too good about getting out of the rain. They seem to think standing under a bush is helpful.....

Quote:
If you live in an area that does not get a lot of rain or is pretty sheltered dirt is fine. I have had 3 large pens and after they get rid of all the grass and it is just dirt it is fine until the rains and snow come...then it is muddy feet, but of course most of my bantams are feathered legged. But even my cleaned legged track the mud in and sometimes ends up on the eggs. Also one of my problems was the accumulation of poop. After a while the rain just does not do a good job keeping it clean. So...long story short I think the best decision I made for myself was putting down 6 inches of sand. But...a lot of this is trial and error. Maybe let them enjoy eating the grass down and if dirt does end up a problem you can always add sand. But keep in mind a little dirt is good for them to keep their immune systems working. Good Luck! You are making a great decision...I LOVE my Polish!!

Back
Top Bottom