Jersey Giants thread for pictures and discussion

well i used to raise lf show cochens and brahmas. when you take a black on a white you got 50% black 25% blue and 25%splash cochens !!! so i would think it would be the same for jersey giants two. i am new to jersey giants but not new to chickens lol im helping my sister with her jerseys just bought 10 blue and 10 black day olds from a breeder so im researching them alot so i know what to breed for before we get to the shows with them . well i like the pictures and hope my input helps you with your ? thank you want brahmas 2

well i used to raise lf show cochens and brahmas. when you take a black on a white you got 50% black 25% blue and 25%splash cochens !!! so i would think it would be the same for jersey giants two. i am new to jersey giants but not new to chickens lol im helping my sister with her jerseys just bought 10 blue and 10 black day olds from a breeder so im researching them alot so i know what to breed for before we get to the shows with them . well i like the pictures and hope my input helps you with your ? thank you want brahmas 2

What would I get if I crossed White JG with Black or Blue JG? New to all this!

Hello all. We'd like to welcome everyone to the Sussex County Poultry Fanciers Association Annual Fall Show. We'll be hosting the Jersey Giant Club National Meet this year. We are located in Augusta, NJ.

Please see the show thread for the catalog and discussion:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/708902/nj-sussex-county-poultry-fanciers-annual-fall-show-2012

Hope to see you there!

(For further questions, please pm me, as my notifications for this site still don't work - thanks!)

Wynette~ I think I just bought one of your JG hens today :) I bought her from SilkieChicken, she is about 4 months old and so big and sweet!
Yup - that would be my line! When Diana was wanting a large cock bird to replace the beautiful male she lost, I asked her to consider Giants! She had a really good hatch, and some lovely birds - I'm sure your gal is very nice!
big_smile.png
She told me that she went to a very good home and she was sure the pullet would be quite pampered!

Hello all. We'd like to welcome everyone to the Sussex County Poultry Fanciers Association Annual Fall Show. We'll be hosting the Jersey Giant Club National Meet this year. We are located in Augusta, NJ.

Please see the show thread for the catalog and discussion:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/708902/nj-sussex-county-poultry-fanciers-annual-fall-show-2012

Hope to see you there!

(For further questions, please pm me, as my notifications for this site still don't work - thanks!)

W O O T ! ! ! (Wish I could be there - if for nothing else but to see YOU again!
hugs.gif
)

Last edited:
Do Jersey Giants need a larger roost than regular size hens? My JG has yet to roost with the other hens at night, I'm wondering if I need to put in a larger roost, a lower roost, or rearrange the existing roost...? I had the first three for about a month and they all roosted just fine together, before adding the JG. I can imagine that the roost might be too small for the JG's feet, and possibly too close to the ceiling. She either sleeps in the nest box and gets poop in there, or she sleeps under the other hens in the corner, and gets pooped on there.

Yup - that would be my line! When Diana was wanting a large cock bird to replace the beautiful male she lost, I asked her to consider Giants!

And I'm SOOO GLAD I considered them! They are totally awesome birds! My dad told me they are turkeys. LOL

@slinglings

She was previously roosting on a grow out roost with the other JG's that was only about 12 inches off the ground. The grow out roost is only about 1.5 inches wide to fit baby feet.... so it's probably not a width issue. They started to roost at about 2-3 months old so she should know how.

I haven't had them moved to the layer coop yet, but in there, roosts are 2x4's with the 4 inch side up for them to sit on. It is possible the other hens are throwing her off the roost and not letting her up there. Inductee's to the layer coop often spend the first month sleeping on the far end from the ones who have been there, or on the lower roost till they learn "their place" in the world. Silly birds all love to cram themselves against the window side... and I think it's because the silly things get a clear view out the front window to watch and see if we are coming out from the house in the morning. LOL When you go to the side of the coop, they all stand on the lower roost and stare at you if you didn't let them free yet. hahahaha. It's hilarious.

900x900px-LL-9fe5b9a1_230_installed_roosts.jpeg

That was when the coop was newly painted... the walls, windowsills, roosts, and ceiling are well covered in poo/dust splotches now.

Do Jersey Giants need a larger roost than regular size hens? My JG has yet to roost with the other hens at night, I'm wondering if I need to put in a larger roost, a lower roost, or rearrange the existing roost...? I had the first three for about a month and they all roosted just fine together, before adding the JG. I can imagine that the roost might be too small for the JG's feet, and possibly too close to the ceiling. She either sleeps in the nest box and gets poop in there, or she sleeps under the other hens in the corner, and gets pooped on there.

It's not a good idea to place roosts more than a foot or at the most, 18" off the ground for Giants; they get so large and heavy that if they hop down from a roost much higher than that, they can easily injur a leg or foot. As far as her (or any chickens) sleeping in the nest box, you sure don't wnat to encourage that for obvious reasons.
wink.png
Get yourself a small bucket or even a wadded up feed sack, and stuff it in there when they go in at night, then remove it first thing in the morning. If you do this for about 10 days to two weeks, that should break that habit & you'll continue getting clean eggs!
thumbsup.gif

Diana...may, I LOVE that coop of yours! Most awesome ventilation, a window for them to look out...dang, that's the Taj Mahal of coops to be sure!

Back
Top Bottom