Metzer Farms

I ordered 3 ducklings from chickens for backyards. The gro gel was included in the order. They arrived in great shape and very talkative. I was very pleased. I was nervous b/c they weren't big name like metzer. I'd order from there again

I have watched a few of Metzer's blog posts, and he seems to really love ducks, and takes good care of them. I just have one picky correction though. His pronunciation of "Cayuga." Metzer says, "Koo-yah-gah," when we all know it is really "Kigh (like "high")-yoo-gah." I hope this is the most serious mistake Mr. Metzer ever makes! p.s. I plan on ordering next Spring's flock from him.

About the sexed females I order from Metzer (they will be 2 weeks next Monday)...

Does anyone have advice for getting the tape off of their legs? Without injuring them of course.

Metzer says it will fall off in 14 days, but it's showing no signs of coming loose. I'm getting worried and impatient because it looks like the tape is starting to squeeze around their growing legs.

Any help much appreciated!

Well, everyone seems to think they are a good company, so I hope my experience is just a fluke.

I ordered embden and toulouse goslings on April 9th with a hatch date set for April 28th and delivery date set for today, Aptil 30th. Was there early this morning waiting for them at the post office...no goslings. Was worried they had gotten lost in transit.

Contacted Metzer farms and discovered they were never even shipped to begin with even though my card had already been charged for the order and I had been sent a confirmation email confirming the ship date. They said they would try to ship them next Monday and assured me they would not re-charge my card.

Hoping I have not been scammed and a bit disappointed today. This was my first time trying to order from them. :(

UPDATE:

My two goslings were delivered on time yesterday. I had called Monday and made sure they really did ship them out that day, and they assured me they had. The Embden seems a bit weak and was throwing up water yesterday, but was a little better this morning, hoping it pulls through. The Toulouse is alert and active though.

Quote:
About the sexed females I order from Metzer (they will be 2 weeks next Monday)...

Does anyone have advice for getting the tape off of their legs? Without injuring them of course.

Metzer says it will fall off in 14 days, but it's showing no signs of coming loose. I'm getting worried and impatient because it looks like the tape is starting to squeeze around their growing legs.

Any help much appreciated!

I just got mine, but one seemed extremely bothered by the tape and it looked tight on the legs so I decided to remove them.The second one the tape was not directly stuck together so I easily peeled it apart, but the first one was ridiculous.

I placed it on its back and gently held the body down with one hand with my fingers holding the leg.

I was able to slowly work a thin metal file between the goslings leg and the tape. I tried to cut it with a small pocket knife (with metal file underneath, not the skin), but it wasn't sharp enough and made me a bit nervous. I eventually went and borrowed some tiny sewing scissors from a friend and was able to cut it off.

Very nerve-wracking, was afraid I would accidentally hurt them! :/

If the tape is displaced a little where they stuck it together, the easiest is to try to get the edge and just peel it apart. If it right on and there is no way to catch an edge...just be very very careful.

Quote:

I just got mine, but one seemed extremely bothered by the tape and it looked tight on the legs so I decided to remove them.The second one the tape was not directly stuck together so I easily peeled it apart, but the first one was ridiculous.

I placed it on its back and gently held the body down with one hand with my fingers holding the leg.

I was able to slowly work a thin metal file between the goslings leg and the tape. I tried to cut it with a small pocket knife (with metal file underneath, not the skin), but it wasn't sharp enough and made me a bit nervous. I eventually went and borrowed some tiny sewing scissors from a friend and was able to cut it off.

Very nerve-wracking, was afraid I would accidentally hurt them! :/

If the tape is displaced a little where they stuck it together, the easiest is to try to get the edge and just peel it apart. If it right on and there is no way to catch an edge...just be very very careful.

Thank you. I am going to try to get two extra hands to help me tonight. I will start with the tiny scissors. At this point, it's so tight, I don't think I'll be able to get something underneath to shield the skin... hence the extra set of hands. I'm going to cut the lose tab into two sections, then try to peel the tape from there. I will be very careful. Thanks again for sharing your experience!

Well we got the tape off of each of the 4 ducklings' legs. My SO held them down one at a time with the belly facing down against the kitchen counter. We loosely covered them with a t-shirt to get them to relax. Then I extended the leg backwards (like they do when stretching while laying down). I cut off as much of the tab (where each end of the piece of tape meet, it's kind of like a flag) as I could without slicing the leg using manicure scissors. Then it was pretty easy to peel the rest off.

I let them go for a swim before hand. Getting the tape wet made the whole process a little more difficult because the adhesive on the tape got all gooped up (imagine peeling a price sticker off of a drinking glass after running it under the faucet). I would do it while dry next time.

Some skin came off with the tape, but I think the skin was already dead as it didn't cause any pain.

Quote:
I didn't call them. In their catalog, they say that the tape will fall off after 14 days, and after getting into it a little earlier, I now see that the tape really was beginning to break down. It probably would have fallen off soon. But I feel better having it off now anyways. And it gave us some time to handle the ducklings and get used to us.

They are reputable establishment. I have ordered and picked up Pilgrim Goslings and been to their farm. I have not, however, received the animals in the mail. This is a well-known hatchery and I have been on the premises. I have never had any problem with any of the birds I have received.

Back
Top Bottom