Metzer Farms

I live in West Virginia, and even though there are other hatcheries closer, I always order geese from Metzer. Last year, I placed an order and all of them arrived in perfect shape. This year, I had to mail my order to a post office in Ohio (because Metzer cannot ship to W.Va. anymore), and we drove over an hour to pick them up. One gosling didn't make it, but the rest were ok. They looked a little bit weary from their trip, but they perked up when I gave them water. Also, I discovered that one of the goslings that I requested to be sexed female was sexed as a male. I called Metzer Farm and they're mailing me two replacement goslings free of charge! I will definitely continue to buy my geese from Metzer! Here are pics of my Embden goslings with their baby Ancona duck friends : )

Last edited:
My 3 goslings from Holderread shipped without a heat pack June 11th and arrived in good shape. They went from Oregon to Virginia in 2 days.

I ordered 11 ducks in my first order (all different breeds). The post office took an extra day to deliver them so they didn't arrive until Thursday. Fortunately I ordered grow gel with the order and all arrived in good condition. All but one black runner were very healthy. The black runner was a bit weak and stopped up, but with a little help, she pulled through. There was one mis-pick, my Welsh Harlequin had been replaced with a second White Crested. I called Metzer Farms and they offered to refund me the price or ship a replacement. I opted for the replacement as I wanted my WH and they said they would need a second bird to ship because they couldn't ship just one bird. I ordered a second WH both sexed F. They charged me for the second bird and its sexing. I wasn't charged for the replacement, the replacement's sexing, the heat pack, the grow gel or the shipping. The second shipment arrived on Wednesday and the ducks were ready to keep up with the rest of the flock although they were a week younger. I later ordered two to replace ones that were eaten by a raccoon (won't fall for that again), and although this was pretty expensive (they try to discourage such small orders) it was perfect except for the fact that the post office was again a day late.

So in conclusion total ducks shipped: 15
errors 1 (corrected)
losses 0 (despite 13 of 15 ducklings arriving a day late - thanks for that USPS)

In my area I can not get sexed ducks locally. All 15 ducks were sexed correctly. I would definitely do business with them again (but I don't have room for any more ducks).

More goslings from Metzer! They all arrived in perfect health. Except one of the white Chinese goslings is aggressive and biting the other gosling's wings! There was blood everywhere when I opened the box. Has anyone else had that happen? I've never seen anything like it! The aggressive one has calmed down since I got it home and gave her food, and grass. I've never had this happen before...

I ordered a pair of Tufted Roman geese from Metzer's, fingers crossed they arrive safely. Though now that I somewhat have an idea of what my 4 week old Indian Runner ducklings are, I am pondering adding a few more females.

I'm thinking of ordering some from them next year. :) Not this year because we have our first chickens coming Meyer Hatchery this month and I've heard ducks are messier/smellier and louder but I'm thinking maybe next year, after we've had the chickens a while. I've heard great things about both Meyer and Metzer but for waterfowl I'll probably go with Metzer as they sort of "specialize" in it and they seem to have quality stock, not just hatchery stock.

We are getting 9 chickens and will probably eventually add more (again, from Meyer as Metzer doesn't have chickens) so we really can't have many ducks so we'll probably only order between 2-4. If I could I'd love to add like 8, 2 or 3 of several breeds, like I did with the chickens, but alas, we can't. Especially with ducks being messier and requiring water.

But anyway, when I do, I'm thinking of Welsh Harlequin, Swedish (probably black but maybe blue), and possibly Buff. And possibly Khaki Campbell or Rouen but those probably won't be for years till I get my own place.

I'll probably wind up with a pair of WH and a pair of Swedish or a WH drake then a WH, Swedish, and Buff female.

Everything I've heard about Metzer has been great so I can't wait until we are able to order some ducks, whether here or in a few years at my own place

Ordered ten birds. Have one runt and one with a thymine issue. No problem, they sent extras for nobadditional charge.

Adding to the metzer farms review!
I ordered a couple weeks ago. Received my order today!
10- runner ducklings. I ordered sexed females. So wont know if thays correct for a month or two.
But all arrived very active, eating and drinking immediately
Got all the colors i asked for.
Very happy with the condition they arrived!

Back
Top Bottom