Muscovy duck Q&A

I love the resource availability on this website,. Everyone has expertise in different forms and we can call upon others when needed. This is a great interface. As for pics,. I can prob upload them to my profile but haven't figured out how to post to a specific forum every time I try it stays blank

Hi there! I would guess you are correct, the dark spot you see first is usually the eyes. You should also see alot of veins running along the inside of the shell. If you don't see veins, then either your light isn't bright enough, or it has quit growing. Be sure to shine down through the air cell on the fat end of the egg to get the best view. I look all around the egg, but always look thru the air cell.

Posting pics, are you mobile? Sometimes when I hit the pic icon, mobile screen will appear empty, but scroll up, and the attach link is there. A pic would definitely help.

Good luck!

Right now I made a big reservoir that I fill with water that's like 4 inches wide by 12 inches long and I fill it 1 inch deep with water and then I also have a wash rag I periodically soak and place in the proximity of the eggs is that not good? What could I do better?

What humidity is that keeping it at?

Surface area is the factor needed for higher humidity, not deeper dishes (thiugh that helps to keep from having to refill as often)... cups filled half or 3/4 full with water and narrow sponges stuck in them on end so one end sticks out far might help more...

I live in southern Utah it's typically hot and dry summers mild days and cold nights this time of year. As for incubator I made one

I know parts of Utah are high elevation. Do you live at a high elevation? There are some variations for incubating in higher elevations.

I don't use DE it's so dusty just plain ole pine shavings. If you clean daily just like you would for dogs in ones back yard there really isn't much smell. I also make sure to keep good ventilation in my flocks buildings. I also use fly deterrents can't think of their name now but I hang one in each building starting in spring and never have any problems with flies. It's not to catch them just keeps them out and can be used in feed rooms too. I'll look them up and post back. 

https://www.valleyvet.com/ct_detail.html?pgguid=30E079D4-7B6A-11D5-A192-00B0D0204AE5

K thank you,. I'm going to give this DLM a shot.
I just noticed foam in one of my ducks eyes rewarded and found a forum that you were in discussing this issue. Just put some acv in its drinking water we will see what happens. Since your discussion in the forum have you found any new info on this issue?

Most feed stores carry diatomaceous earth... and while it does help dry out the poop quicker for the most part, the fine dust particles can be much more harmful if regularly inhaled by the ducks...

Might look into Sweet PDZ or 'Stall Fresh' instead... it's more granular and not as dusty... but really, I prefer to keep it just plain shavings myself as well...

Thank you

Yea they were. This was my first attempt at hatching just surprised I made it that far. I had 6 healthy babies moving like crazy till I took that trip up north then I messed up by not checking the eggs in the box on the way down for the first 45 minutes which basically cooked them 3 days before hatch,. And the only one that survived I had hope for but determined that even though it survived,. The heat shrink wrapped the aircell around it so it couldn't hatch. I think I should have trusted my gut and opened the aircell 4 days ago to moisten the membrane. It was moving until 2 days ago.

Don't beat yourself up, that may not have made a difference either... I have not had success opening any air cells up before an internal pip, j/s...

You learned and can move ahead... don't let it discourage you from trying again, just try to plan for no long trips during the incubation timeframe... :)

I have read that muscovites are relatively quiet compared to most duck breeds, is this true?

In my experience, yes. The drakes pretty much only hiss and the ducks trill and occasionally make a soft quack. Contrast that with my Runner and Pekin - while I think both are great in their own way, the Runner (duck) is a shouter/honker, as are her mixed female ducklings, and the Pekin (and his male offspring) makes the typical quacking sounds. IMO, Muscovies would be better-suited to settings where quiet is important.

Back
Top Bottom