Muscovy keepers share your pics!

awsome so spray for the first 10 days, then every week after that put it in their water or?
It says to spray 3X a day for 10 days I haven't had to use it as a treatment but I'd do it according to the directions, don't buy the Citric acid to use with it you cannot use it with animals just the plain Oxine ah only mixed with water. I use it to spray roosts to spray my flock if I have been somewhere where there are other chickens or fowl, I've sprayed my shoes and clothes with it even my tires when I took care of a friends chickens while she was on vacation. I use it in their drinking water a couple times a week only 1/8th tea. to 1 gallon so a little goes a long way for preventive. To spray your birds spray over them and let the mist come down over their faces they will inhale the mist you want to make sure they inhale so it gets into the respiratory system. If you can find a spray bottle that has a fine mist then you could spray them directly in the face short gentle sprays.

It says to spray 3X a day for 10 days I haven't had to use it as a treatment but I'd do it according to the directions, don't buy the Citric acid to use with it you cannot use it with animals just the plain Oxine ah only mixed with water. I use it to spray roosts to spray my flock if I have been somewhere where there are other chickens or fowl, I've sprayed my shoes and clothes with it even my tires when I took care of a friends chickens while she was on vacation. I use it in their drinking water a couple times a week only 1/8th tea. to 1 gallon so a little goes a long way for preventive. To spray your birds spray over them and let the mist come down over their faces they will inhale the mist you want to make sure they inhale so it gets into the respiratory system. If you can find a spray bottle that has a fine mist then you could spray them directly in the face short gentle sprays. 

can I use it with any animal of any age? Also what can I use till it gets here?

I have another outbrake of uri.. in my new and healthy flock of pullets, which were put in a coop where health5 birds were..now they are sick. My ducks are right with them, do I have to get rid of them too??

I've had really great results with Tylan for URI. I used the injectable but there is a form of it to dissolve in water (which I'd think would be more ideal for pullets). TSC had the injectable, not sure if they have the powder form by you but you could probably call or check online if they have it in stock or carry it. From what I've read some people decide to pull eggs for 2 weeks after treatment but some don't - all it seems to come down to is theres potential for an allergic reaction. We ate our eggs and we're still kickin! ;)

Here's more info:

http://poultrykeeper.com/poultry-medication/tylan-used-to-treat-respiratory-problems

Also, you can give it to both the chickens and your ducks, which if the ducks were exposed you should treat them too as a precaution.

Have you changes the bedding in your coop recently? Moldy bedding will cause URI.. maybe try to see if theres something causing it. Hope they get better soon!

Last edited:
Tylan will only work on some bacterial infections like mycoplasma. It will not work on most gram negative infections like E. Coli. It would be best to have a sick chicken tested before treating with an antibiotic. Should cost office visit at vet plus about $30 for a gram stain.

-Kathy

Ah ok. So by now would I be seeing the more dominant nature of a drake come out?
Have acquired them due to their previous owners ill health, and it was her neighbour who was rehoming them for her. Neighbour could not really tell us very much just that they desperately needed to go. I am terrible for rehoming an animal in need!

Back
Top Bottom