Muscovy keepers share your pics!

Myrtle (The hen who got rolled underneath a car on the road last year) Has started laying again!! YAY, she truly is a miracle Muscovy!! Twitch, the chocolate, is setting on a dozen eggs.. yes she rebrooded, after trying to hatch 2 in January's cold. But now Mom slipped Pekin eggs underneath her instead of scovies... Imagine her surprise when they pop out a week earlier. The blue still wants nothing to do with Naughty. THe other Pied scovy, Gertrude, is becoming a Houdini duck. We have a gate on their wooden pen, where the wire only comes up to waist height instead of our chins (so like 2.5-3 feet as opposed to 4.5 ish.) I think she jumps it! And naughty is still a goofy boy.

I have a question though aout the feathering. I know we hatch out a few I want to say barred or rippled ducklings each year. But as they molt they lose it entirely. . I know some of you have really beautiful barred adults. How do you keep them like that? lol. I don't think we're breeding anymore scovies, We'll get rid of the blue this year sometime if she still doesn't breed with naughty, and then the rest are just pets. Mom likes the pekins. But I'm just curious.

I dont have any pics, but I have questions, I have 20 some odd eggs in the bator, Candled, removed clear ones, candled the following week, they are growing well. But thats half the battle I suppose, mom has hatched chickens, but never ducks. These were started under a hen, but she abandoned them after a week, so here we are. I'm nervous about the hatch lol Like did I screw up somehow? Lucky for the eggs, the bator is at my mother's so I can keep my mitts off of it lol IDK if I should head over and candle them again or not, I did at about 10 days, and 16 days, and they have 2 weeks left. I have to keep telling myself she's done this before, I have not.

Hopefully Duckie goes broody soon. I'd rather let her hatch a batch than do the bator thing again. The last duck that tried to brood was only 10 months old. Teenagers, with their short attention span lol

Your doing a great job. Makes me think my flock need some serious counseling:rolleyes:

No mine would be doing the same but at the youngest age possible I start introducing them to all the different kinds of animals that way when their adults and it's harder to change what their use to it doesn't matter because they grew up around all of them. :) We use to have just 8 laying hens(this is before I went bird crazy)and every time we would try to move in new birds they would brutally kill them! And it was because we only introduced new birds every few years.My flock now meets new birds every single spring at least so they are use to the adjustment of course they still have to find their spot in the pecking order but they don't masacre them!

Myrtle (The hen who got rolled underneath a car on the road last year) Has started laying again!!  YAY, she truly is a miracle Muscovy!!  Twitch, the chocolate, is setting on a dozen eggs.. yes she rebrooded, after trying to hatch 2 in January's cold.  But now Mom slipped Pekin eggs underneath her instead of scovies...  Imagine her surprise when they pop out a week earlier.  The blue still wants nothing to do with Naughty.  THe other Pied scovy, Gertrude, is becoming a Houdini duck. We have a gate on their wooden pen, where the wire only comes up to waist height instead of our chins (so like 2.5-3 feet as opposed to 4.5 ish.)  I think she jumps it!  And naughty is still a goofy boy.  

I have a question though aout the feathering.  I know we hatch out a few I want to say barred or rippled ducklings each year.  But as they molt they lose it entirely. . I know some of you have really beautiful barred adults.  How do you keep them like that?  lol.  I don't think we're breeding anymore scovies, We'll get rid of the blue this year sometime if she still doesn't breed with naughty, and then the rest are just pets.  Mom likes the pekins.  But I'm just curious.  

Breeding genetics is always a luck of the draw.Unless you know the percentages of all the colors they have in them and then you can get a good idea of what they will look like.I hatched some chicks recently for my breeding project 'The Perfect Chicken' & I was expecting a few to have a crest and feathered feet.1 out of 4 had both & the other 3 had feathered feet! So I was close now their colors came out very odd......but that's not the point lol! Those chicks had 1/4 Silver-laced Wyandotte & 3/4 polish/sizzle/unknown so the weight of the polish/sizzle/unknown side I knew would come out more dominant in this batch but there was also a chance the wyandotte would come out in a few too.Thats why I believe they had no crests except 1 but they all had feathered legs!

I dont have any pics, but I have questions, I have 20 some odd eggs in the bator, Candled, removed clear ones, candled the following week, they are growing well. But thats half the battle I suppose, mom has hatched chickens, but never ducks. These were started under a hen, but she abandoned them after a week, so here we are. I'm nervous about the hatch lol Like did I screw up somehow? Lucky for the eggs, the bator is at my mother's so I can keep my mitts off of it lol IDK if I should head over and candle them again or not, I did at about 10 days, and 16 days, and they have 2 weeks left. I have to keep telling myself she's done this before, I have not.

Hopefully Duckie goes broody soon. I'd rather let her hatch a batch than do the bator thing again. The last duck that tried to brood was only 10 months old. Teenagers, with their short attention span lol

I would like to say your doing great but hopefully your mom knows the humidity and temp for scovies.I don't hatch scovies but I know they have to be cared for a bit differently then chicken eggs.But I'm glad your candling them that's good! :)

Hey guys, i havent been on in a while but i really need help! my ducks just had chocolate, i know its fatal but can i stop it?

There's not a lot of chocolate in coco pops. That might be the saving factor. I'd say keep an eye on them, make sure they have plenty to drink.

How much did they eat?

If anyone else can chime in on possible solutions, that'd be great.

There's not a lot of chocolate in coco pops. That might be the saving factor. I'd say keep an eye on them, make sure they have plenty to drink.

How much did they eat?

If anyone else can chime in on possible solutions, that'd be great.
not much, probs 3/4 of a cup maybe and i gave them alot of water

not much, probs 3/4 of a cup maybe and i gave them alot of water

The amount of actual chocolate in that amount of coco puffs is pretty small. It's mostly just sugar... which isn't good for them, but isn't toxic, either.

I'd just keep a close eye on them. Hopefully they'll be ok.

The amount of actual chocolate in that amount of coco puffs is pretty small. It's mostly just sugar... which isn't good for them, but isn't toxic, either.

I'd just keep a close eye on them. Hopefully they'll be ok.
thank you for helping

Back
Top Bottom