Need help with my incubator

Lowskizz

Hatching
May 2, 2024
Hello!

I just made my first still air incubator from wood scraps. The size is 20 x 18 x 16 (lenght, height, and width). Lightbulbs are both 50w and there are 2 holes on the sides of the incubator about 1 inch.

Was wondering if the lightbulb placement is okay and if there are other improvements i can do besides adding a fan

Attachments

• 20240503_122839.jpg
    20240503_122839.jpg
    262.9 KB · Views: 40
Have you seen this thread? It might help answer your questions as there are a ton of folks who make their own incubators. You also could try find one who's written recently to message. Or perhaps one of them will see your post. I just buy mine but kudos to you!!

Hi! Does it have a thermostat? If not, that would be the thing I would add - you want to have control over the temperature.

You can also add a computer fan to make it forced air, which will give you more even temperatures throughout the incubator. They are pretty easy to splice onto a phone charger so you can plug them into an outlet.

In a still air (no fan) warm air rises so you get different temperatures at different elevations. A fan can help mix up the air but in a homemade incubator you might still have dead spots.

Those look like quail eggs. Like any others they need to be incubated at a specific temperature (99.5 F or 37.5 C) in a forced air. The recommendation is 101.5 (38.6 C) taken at the top of the eggs in a still air. I highly recommend you set up a thermostat in there to keep your temperature where it needs to be.

You also want a thermometer in there so you can see what the temperature is. I also suggest a hygrometer which shows you humidity. I assume that pan underneath holds water. A hygrometer will tell you how effective that is in maintaining humidity and it will tell you when that water runs out and you need to refill it.

Hi!
In a still air (no fan) warm air rises so you get different temperatures at different elevations. A fan can help mix up the air but in a homemade incubator you might still have dead spots.

Those look like quail eggs. Like any others they need to be incubated at a specific temperature (99.5 F or 37.5 C) in a forced air. The recommendation is 101.5 (38.6 C) taken at the top of the eggs in a still air. I highly recommend you set up a thermostat in there to keep your temperature where it needs to be.

You also want a thermometer in there so you can see what the temperature is. I also suggest a hygrometer which shows you humidity. I assume that pan underneath holds water. A hygrometer will tell you how effective that is in maintaining humidity and it will tell you when that water runs out and you need to refill

You also want a thermometer in there so you can see what the temperature is. I also suggest a hygrometer which shows you humidity. I assume that pan underneath holds water. A hygrometer will tell you how effective that is in maintaining humidity and it will tell you when that water runs out and you need to refill it.

Hi!

Thanks for replying :3 I do have a digital temperature and humidity reader it’s just that it doesn’t match with the lightbulb controller I’ve been trying to figure it out for awhile on how to fix this.

Hi! Does it have a thermostat? If not, that would be the thing I would add - you want to have control over the temperature.

You can also add a computer fan to make it forced air, which will give you more even temperatures throughout the incubator. They are pretty easy to splice onto a phone charger so you can plug them into an outlet.

So far I cannot afford a computer fan as it’s not available in the market. I live in the province…

Thanks for replying :3 I do have a digital temperature and humidity reader it’s just that it doesn’t match with the lightbulb controller I’ve been trying to figure it out for awhile on how to fix this.
I don't trust any thermometer or hygrometer that has not been calibrated. It doesn't matter if it comes with the incubator or you buy them separately. Any of them can have errors.

I use a medical thermometer to calibrate my thermometer. Medical thermometers should be calibrated and accurate to the tenth of a degree. If you search the web you can find methods to calibrate a hygrometer. I like the ice method if your hygrometer has the range. The thermometer needs to be very accurate, the hygrometer doesn't need to be that accurate but it needs to be reasonable.

Hi!

As per suggestion i have managed to find a fan from one of my uncle's garage. I was wondering where would be the best place to place the fan in my incubator. I've read that it should be at the top since warm air rises but should i put it on the middle facing the opening? On top where it'll blow on top of the eggs? Or on the side like behind the lightbulbs or beside it?

Back
Top Bottom