Neighbor's dog killed my chickens. City ordinance issue??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Regardless of whether the dog is half wolf or not, it is running loose in the neighborhood. There HAS to be laws against that and animal control are the ones to deal with dogs running loose. Without looking, I am sure there are leash laws and regulations stating that dogs much be secured on the owner's property. The dog was loose, got onto your property and killed animals on your property. Whether your chickens were legal or not, that doesn't change the fact that the dog has to be dealt with. On my property, the solution is SSS (Shoot, shovel and shut up) but I realize that not everyone can discharge a firearm on their property without raising a ruckus in the neighborhood. You have a dog running loose and killing animals. The authorities need to take action and it shouldn't take a lawsuit from you to get them to do their jobs.

thanks Karen. I've already looked into all of those CA codes. There's only two ways that Animal Control will take the dog away; 1) According to AC: if the dog attacks or exhibits any aggressive behavior within the next 12 months it will be declared "vicious", or 2) if I take the owners to civil court and pay hundreds, if not thousands, of dollars to sue. Unfortunately, I cannot afford that kind of legal expense. :(

It is really disappointing that AC in our town doesn't take wolf-hybrids more seriously. But yeah, I will definitely take matters into my own hands if that dog sets foot on my property while I'm at home.
If it was me I would beat him over the head with a big stick. I am super protective of my chickens and my friends chickens, and stories like this just drive all sane thoughts from my head
somad.gif

Next time you catch it in your yard, spray paint it. See if they let their dog loose again (they'd better not
somad.gif
). Better yet, trap it and take it in to animal control. It costs some serious money to bail them; they'll learn pretty quick.
yes, we called animal control, but they don't work weekends, so the police came out and took a report. They witnessed the dog eating my hens. The dog dug underneath the fence. My chickens were kept too close to the house (law says must be at least 50 ft. away) but I'm sure the dog would have broken into my yard regardless of how far away the chickens were. I think my chicken hobby is done, because these neighbors will just report me to the city to take revenge. :( But, I am going to call the dept of fish and game to see if they can get the dog tested for wolf genetics. The neighbor is trying to claim that the dog isn't part wolf, but I think she's lying.
OOooooooh! To get busted for a lie like THAT! If all your chickens are in heaven, then I wouldn't let them off the hook with an illegal mutt in their own backyard.
Now, she might not be lying. Some dogs are just really big, and there is a chance that he's a mutt between two dogs instead of wolf-dog, so do some more digging and make sure before you pay to have him tested. I imagine that would cost a fair bit o' pretty pennies.

If it was me I would beat him over the head with a big stick. I am super protective of my chickens and my friends chickens, and stories like this just drive all sane thoughts from my head
somad.gif

Next time you catch it in your yard, spray paint it. See if they let their dog loose again (they'd better not
somad.gif
). Better yet, trap it and take it in to animal control. It costs some serious money to bail them; they'll learn pretty quick.
OOooooooh! To get busted for a lie like THAT! If all your chickens are in heaven, then I wouldn't let them off the hook with an illegal mutt in their own backyard.
Now, she might not be lying. Some dogs are just really big, and there is a chance that he's a mutt between two dogs instead of wolf-dog, so do some more digging and make sure before you pay to have him tested. I imagine that would cost a fair bit o' pretty pennies.

Yeah, this dog definitely has some wolf in it. It looks like a wolf/husky mix. This lady came over to my house this morning and tried to pay me half of what she owes for damages, but I refused to accept less than the full amount. Then she tried to tell me that her dog who was a wolf mix died last year and she replaced it with another non-wolf, who strangely looks exactly like the first one
barnie.gif

Doesn't matter if it has wolf or not it a dog your chickens are livestock also known a part of the food chain so if you do something to the dog you will be in trouble just saying and by the sound of these neighbors just might do something back to you so keep that in mind.

Doesn't matter if it has wolf or not it a dog your chickens are livestock also known a part of the food chain so if you do something to the dog you will be in trouble just saying and by the sound of these neighbors just might do something back to you so keep that in mind.

I hear where you're coming from however it is NOT OKAY for another persons pet to help himself to your livestock on your property. It is the responsibility of the owner to keep their dog secured on their own property! I had this same thing happen to me. I now have a gun propped up by the back door to protect my flock and I don't hesitate to use it. Yeah, it's just a bb gun but it works to get the point across. It's just sickening how irresponsible and inconsiderate people can be, especially after the stuff has hit the fan!

Edited by Staff

Last edited by a moderator:
Now is this a fence owned by both of you or is it your own and their dog got out of his own yard and into your yard if its both of your fence are the boards on your side or theirs if yours secure secure secure as soon as possible don't wait do it now if on their side make them secure it now.do you have small children if so can this dog get to them in your yard if so put 11/2" screws in boards of fence and big rocks the size of basketballs at base so if he digs they will fall in the hole blocking him from getting in your yard again.remember an ounce of prevention goes along way.

Last edited:
If I caught it in the act HE would become part of the food chain. I would gladly kill any dog that dared even chase my chickens. Wolf or not, I'd hang it's hide on my wall. They aren't "just chickens", they are MY chickens, and if you don't have any control over your stupid, disobedient dog, he's either gonna get some college education *pounded* into his head or he's gonna die
somad.gif
somad.gif
somad.gif

Excuse my rant - a little

thanks Karen. I've already looked into all of those CA codes. There's only two ways that Animal Control will take the dog away; 1) According to AC: if the dog attacks or exhibits any aggressive behavior within the next 12 months it will be declared "vicious", or 2) if I take the owners to civil court and pay hundreds, if not thousands, of dollars to sue. Unfortunately, I cannot afford that kind of legal expense. :(

It is really disappointing that AC in our town doesn't take wolf-hybrids more seriously. But yeah, I will definitely take matters into my own hands if that dog sets foot on my property while I'm at home.

I'm not sure why you think it will cost you hundreds if not thousands of dollars to sue. Don't you have a small claims court? Find out what the jurisdiction is there. Usually it is around $5,000. Then all you need to pay is a filing fee. No attorneys are necessary. All you need is proof their dog killed your chickens. Did anyone else see anything? Do you have pictures? Even pictures of your dead chickens, especially if the neighbor's dog has been loose more than once and you can recognize it.
You need to ascribe legitimate value to your birds killed. Often a laying hen is worth $30.00 and for another animal killing your birds some states allow treble damages (That would be $90.00 a bird but don't know your state laws.) Anyway, if you win the you can ask to be reimbursed for your filing fees.
Perhaps if you can find a way to do this that is not too expensive to you, your willingness to proceed will be enough to cause them to pay up or if they think they are going to get into trouble, get rid of their dog.
In a case with a wolf dog and irresponsible owners, I would cut them no slack.

I'm not sure why you think it will cost you hundreds if not thousands of dollars to sue. Don't you have a small claims court? Find out what the jurisdiction is there. Usually it is around $5,000. Then all you need to pay is a filing fee. No attorneys are necessary. All you need is proof their dog killed your chickens. Did anyone else see anything? Do you have pictures? Even pictures of your dead chickens, especially if the neighbor's dog has been loose more than once and you can recognize it.
You need to ascribe legitimate value to your birds killed. Often a laying hen is worth $30.00 and for another animal killing your birds some states allow treble damages (That would be $90.00 a bird but don't know your state laws.) Anyway, if you win the you can ask to be reimbursed for your filing fees.
Perhaps if you can find a way to do this that is not too expensive to you, your willingness to proceed will be enough to cause them to pay up or if they think they are going to get into trouble, get rid of their dog.
In a case with a wolf dog and irresponsible owners, I would cut them no slack.

You're right. Small Claims court is much cheaper, but that is only for recouping lost money. Civil Court is the only way to have the dog taken away.

****UPDATE*****

My neighbor came to my door tonight and, for the first time, was apologetic! She reimbursed me for the full amount owed. Not really sure why she changed her attitude so quickly, but I'm thankful. I didn't really want to sue her. Whew!

I'm still a bit concerned about the dog, though. I'm going to bury wire fencing all along the base of our fence line and reinforce the slats. Hopefully we can avoid this same scenario from happening again. I wonder if Animal Control spoke with her today, as is the procedure, and that's why she changed her tune. They were supposed to give her a warning that if the dog attacks again, it will be destroyed.

You're right. Small Claims court is much cheaper, but that is only for recouping lost money. Civil Court is the only way to have the dog taken away.

****UPDATE*****

My neighbor came to my door tonight and, for the first time, was apologetic! She reimbursed me for the full amount owed. Not really sure why she changed her attitude so quickly, but I'm thankful. I didn't really want to sue her. Whew!

I'm still a bit concerned about the dog, though. I'm going to bury wire fencing all along the base of our fence line and reinforce the slats. Hopefully we can avoid this same scenario from happening again. I wonder if Animal Control spoke with her today, as is the procedure, and that's why she changed her tune. They were supposed to give her a warning that if the dog attacks again, it will be destroyed.
well this is a start anyway. According to code he owed you double the amount of the birds. This dog is gonna kill something again. It was fun for it. There is no way to rehab a chicken killing dog. The only way I heard might be effective is to tie a dead chicken around the dog's neck for several days. Don't think that is gonna happen here, sigh. If you get chickens again, it ill try again, esp. since it actually broke into your poultry yard to get them. The police did actually see the dog eating one of your chickens. I think your best bet is to keep and eye on this dog. might want to keep some pepper spray up of kids reach where you can get at it .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom