Neighbor's dog killing my chickens

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seriously, what is everyone's problem here? Clearly the animals are not being taken care of properly if they are escaping from pens and breaking off chains. Finding better ways to IMPRISON them is not the answer. There is a lot more to successful containment for dogs than just having a physical barrier for them.
If your dog's are escaping, that shows there are problems that need to be addressed and no amount of wire, electric or other wise is going to change it.

I had a neighbor who had this problem, even with a fully electrified fence, his dogs were still getting out because their NEEDS outweighed their pain response.
I believe every owner should be responsible for keeping their dogs contained at all times. It seems that a lot of people don't realize how much is actually necessary to prevent breakouts.

and I'm not anthropomorphizing, dogs are naturally wanderers, confining them to a run/pen/kennel enough to the point that they are trying to break out shows they are not being given what is necessary.
If they aren't in prison, why would they need to break out?

Excuse me!! I worked really hard on my husk to get her to were she is today. So if you don't know how hard someone has worked with there fog don't say anything. Not all dogs are alike. Some are more stubborn then others. Ex specially when my husk all her family are sled dogs, from Alaska. So thank you very much, cuz I worked my butt off.

Great response. Train the dog instead of a barrier.

I'm a dog trainer and have been since a kid. To train dogs to not jump out of the bed of the truck, I leave the tailgate down and drive, drive, drive. It's training so I find a quite, lonely place where the dogs couldn't get run over or hurt during the exercise. You could just close the gate (barrier), but it's better that they are trained to stay in.

If your animal busts out of its cage/pin/kennel and kills other animals, don't blame the cage. Blame yourself. Train the dog and this won't happen.

BTW I'm training my chicken killing puppy now. Accidents happen but with training there will be no fences and barriers and they will be taught to live with each other.

Not everyone on her is a dog trainer. I am not, but I do my best with knowledge gained from a lifetime of owning dogs. I exercise them, train them, play with them, give them time to really run and play with other dogs, groom them daily, cut their nails and shave their foot pads, feed them quality food, and tons more. I have rehabilitated some problem dogs, but an by no means a trainer. Some dogs are also more stubborn than others, some are dumb, some just are so energetic it's like they have ADD. I do my best to make sure they are happy and contented in life. Case in point, my Belgian was lonely, got him a girlfriend and he would stay home fence less unless another dog walked by and then he wants to protect his girl. One problem and solution often leads to another. I now have a pack that stays together, when 1 got out the front door, she wouldn't leave because she was alone and ran right back for the door. Another time 3 got out, none left my yard even though it took me 20 minutes to realize the repairman left the dog pen gate open. I still believe as a responsible pet owner it is my job to insure their safety, so I contain my dogs.

i have had good results training my Belgian and Rottweiler, but the second they see a dog walk by the yard, they go crazy trying to get to it. Do you have that problem? If so, how did you train your dogs to resist the urge?
My Siberians, sadly must stay confined at ALL times, either on a leash or behind a fence. Those suckers are fast and and keep going forever, so i don't take chances with them off leash. But I would like to train the Belgian and Rott to be chicken guardians, any tips or advice? Both on how to make them chicken friendly and how to train them to stay in our yard even when a dog walks by.

That can be a tough one, and there are a lot of ways people go about it. For us it's about teaching our dogs where the boundaries of our property are - any dog inside the boundary is fair game (meaning they are free to *invite* said dog to depart), with the exception of when dogs are brought by invitation and they are told it is "okay". My GSD is my go to dog at removing unwanted dogs - she will take them to the line and when she gets to that line she stops and they keep going. Our command for stopping the pursuit is "off" - meaning OFF of what you are pursuing....minute she hears that she hits the brakes and turns around to see what command we are going to give next. The command is really a moot point at this point with her as she stops and returns to us w/out it anyway. I started by teaching her to stop pursuing a toy on command - working at first with a line attached (so I could give a physical enforcement of the command if she tried to run through the verbal - then you graduate to off leash with the toy and then you can generalize it to pursuit of anything, not just the toy.
All of our dogs know the boundary lines of our property - and they know what side of that line they belong on (if only the rest of the dogs around us had the same training - I absolutely despise the herd of yappers next door who have ZERO respect for boundaries and owners who have no interest in teaching it to them). It is a process, but it is entirely possible to accomplish.

This is my beautiful husky *****(technical term) ;

NaLa 2 years 3 months. Killed 3 turky hens, 4 ducks, 5 ducklings, 2 roo's, 3 wild rabbits. But I love this dog, she's my 4-h show dog. Only resin we still have her. Today she almost killed my RIR roo. IF YOU SAY ANYTHING BAD ABOUT ME OR MY BABY.... I WILL REPORT!!!
Wow. Took me this long to realize that you are just trolling here.

That can be a tough one, and there are a lot of ways people go about it. For us it's about teaching our dogs where the boundaries of our property are - any dog inside the boundary is fair game (meaning they are free to *invite* said dog to depart), with the exception of when dogs are brought by invitation and they are told it is "okay". My GSD is my go to dog at removing unwanted dogs - she will take them to the line and when she gets to that line she stops and they keep going. Our command for stopping the pursuit is "off" - meaning OFF of what you are pursuing....minute she hears that she hits the brakes and turns around to see what command we are going to give next. The command is really a moot point at this point with her as she stops and returns to us w/out it anyway. I started by teaching her to stop pursuing a toy on command - working at first with a line attached (so I could give a physical enforcement of the command if she tried to run through the verbal - then you graduate to off leash with the toy and then you can generalize it to pursuit of anything, not just the toy.
All of our dogs know the boundary lines of our property - and they know what side of that line they belong on (if only the rest of the dogs around us had the same training - I absolutely despise the herd of yappers next door who have ZERO respect for boundaries and owners who have no interest in teaching it to them). It is a process, but it is entirely possible to accomplish.

Thanks i will try that. Rascal is very intelligent with a high need to please me. Both mean he learns well and fast. But since he got his first girlfriend, and we have added to the pack so that it is now 6 strong, He is very territorial and protective of his pack. When i take him out of the yard, any dog can approach and no problem, same at the dog park, I can even bring a dog inside the yard on a leash and he will leave it. But if the dog is loose and on the street, Rascal becomes a raging lunatic. Whats worse is that he is starting to teach that behavior to my Rott, and that is just a disaster waiting to happen.

This is my beautiful husky *****(technical term) ;

NaLa 2 years 3 months. Killed 3 turky hens, 4 ducks, 5 ducklings, 2 roo's, 3 wild rabbits. But I love this dog, she's my 4-h show dog. Only resin we still have her. Today she almost killed my RIR roo. IF YOU SAY ANYTHING BAD ABOUT ME OR MY BABY.... I WILL REPORT!!!

If you don't want people to say bad things about your dog, don't list her kills so gladly. Unless you mean to stir up more trouble..........

Wow. Took me this long to realize that you are just trolling here.

yup! exactly my thought as well

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom