Neighbor's dog killing my chickens

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am just as guilty as everyone else, but how about we turn this thread into something more productive? Like giving ideas on how to protect chickens and other livestock from the predation of dogs, and also fencing ideas to keep our beloved dogs safely confined to our property. Someone saw a weakness in my fencing idea, anyone have suggestings on improving it?

I'm not sure what you could try to fix it. Is there any way to use the angled top like the rest of the fencing so that gap doesn't exist? Bungees like suggested would create a visual barrier, which may be effective for some dogs.

I'm not sure what you could try to fix it. Is there any way to use the angled top like the rest of the fencing so that gap doesn't exist? Bungees like suggested would create a visual barrier, which may be effective for some dogs.

The leaners come in stardard size and corner post size. The gate was built using top rail, which is smaller diameter than standard posts. If I could make an adapter to go from top rail to standard post I could do that. But I haven't figured out how yet.

The leaners come in stardard size and corner post size. The gate was built using top rail, which is smaller diameter than standard posts. If I could make an adapter to go from top rail to standard post I could do that. But I haven't figured out how yet.
Will a very short section of standard post fit over the top rail? Slide it over, use a couple of washers as shims if need be, drill through the whole thing and bolt into place, two bolts one on top of the other, at 90 degree angles from each other.

Seriously, what is everyone's problem here? Clearly the animals are not being taken care of properly if they are escaping from pens and breaking off chains. Finding better ways to IMPRISON them is not the answer. There is a lot more to successful containment for dogs than just having a physical barrier for them.
If your dog's are escaping, that shows there are problems that need to be addressed and no amount of wire, electric or other wise is going to change it.

I had a neighbor who had this problem, even with a fully electrified fence, his dogs were still getting out because their NEEDS outweighed their pain response.
I believe every owner should be responsible for keeping their dogs contained at all times. It seems that a lot of people don't realize how much is actually necessary to prevent breakouts.

and I'm not anthropomorphizing, dogs are naturally wanderers, confining them to a run/pen/kennel enough to the point that they are trying to break out shows they are not being given what is necessary.
If they aren't in prison, why would they need to break out?

Last edited:
Seriously, what is everyone's problem here? Clearly the animals are not being taken care of properly if they are escaping from pens and breaking off chains. Finding better ways to IMPRISON them is not the answer. There is a lot more to successful containment for dogs than just having a physical barrier for them.
If your dog's are escaping, that shows there are problems that need to be addressed and no amount of wire, electric or other wise is going to change it.
Not necessarily. I have dogs that you could play with for 10 hours a day, and they would still attempt to escape when you were done. They are just that energetic.

The electric fence worked for them. Now they confine play time to the backyard, where they belong.

Great response. Train the dog instead of a barrier.

I'm a dog trainer and have been since a kid. To train dogs to not jump out of the bed of the truck, I leave the tailgate down and drive, drive, drive. It's training so I find a quite, lonely place where the dogs couldn't get run over or hurt during the exercise. You could just close the gate (barrier), but it's better that they are trained to stay in.

If your animal busts out of its cage/pin/kennel and kills other animals, don't blame the cage. Blame yourself. Train the dog and this won't happen.

BTW I'm training my chicken killing puppy now. Accidents happen but with training there will be no fences and barriers and they will be taught to live with each other.

I had a neighbor who had this problem, even with a fully electrified fence, his dogs were still getting out because their NEEDS outweighed their pain response.
I believe every owner should be responsible for keeping their dogs contained at all times. It seems that a lot of people don't realize how much is actually necessary to prevent breakouts.

and I'm not anthropomorphizing, dogs are naturally wanderers, confining them to a run/pen/kennel enough to the point that they are trying to break out shows they are not being given what is necessary.
If they aren't in prison, why would they need to break out?

Most dogs break out because something stimulates them. Males smell a female in heat, a strange dog walked by and your dog had to meet or fight it. Maybe they just want to see whats out there, ithappens. The thing is, a lose dog can be hit by a car, shot for trespassing, attacked by another dog, or get lost and never find its way back home. This is why containment is essential. To protect the dog as well as others. My Belgian routenly got out, ran the neighborhood, and returned when he was done. But he nearly got hit by a truck, and someone picked him up and thought about keeping him before contacting me to pick him up (lady and her boyfriend told me). This was while I lived in an apartment and I couldn't change his fencing, and had nothing in the yard to tie him to. He always returned, so he was happy living with me or else I would never have seen him again. But this does not mean I should let him do as he wants either. It is kinda of like raising a child, they need disapline as well as love.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom