Neighbor's dog killing my chickens

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is going to be so helpful for keeping my shepherd mix in the yard, thanks!

Glad I could help. So far this experiment of mine has held 4 smart, climbing Siberians; 1 rottweiler that bulldozes things out of her way; and a Belgian/Chow-Chow mix that i swear is part Kangaroo.

You already met Rascal, the Belgian mix.

This is Sasha, my chicken killer

This is Dawn, my smart mouthy girl

This is Fiona, my bulldozer

This is Cheyenne using Fiona as a pillow

And this is Phantom as a baby

My fence successfully contains this rambunctious bunch.

When I was a child, we raised AKC Dobermans. We were probably the only folks who contained their dogs and we did it with that leaning top section of fencing just like in the picture, though I believe it was just wire, not with the pvc part. I don't even know if they had pvc when I was a kid, LOL.

ETA: Yes, it was invented then, I checked. Don't want anyone to think I'm close to 100 years old, ack!

Last edited:
instead of trying to imprison the animals why not try to actually fix their problems? They need exercise and discipline! And not beating the dog either, that just makes them fear you (not trust you) and lose respect for you. This is the exact opposite of what you want from a dog.

These dogs were bred to run hundreds of miles in days. You think it's going to be content to sit in a cage all day, or spend all of its time frustrated and trying to get out and once it sees something catch its attention, BAM! dead livestock.

It is not "imprisoning", don't anthropomorphize the dogs. Exercise, discipline, and training are all well and good, but the dogs still should NEVER be outside alone without being contained.

ok, here is how i set up my dog pen. here is a section of fencing. the corner leaners are leaning inside the yard, in the middle of where the 2 fences meet.

here you can see how each individual section is wired, and the galvanized screw holding the leaner in position.

for the gate area, i used fencing top rail, used couplers, then screwed it down with galvanized screws again. i also used the fencing tension rods to add support to the gate top.

Hope this helps.

That is some really nice fencing. However a really determined dog could absolutely get out of that still, with relatively little problem. That V shape where the gate meets the fence would be a breeze for a dog to jump up onto and wiggle out of.

It is not "imprisoning", don't anthropomorphize the dogs. Exercise, discipline, and training are all well and good, but the dogs still should NEVER be outside alone without being contained.

That is some really nice fencing. However a really determined dog could absolutely get out of that still, with relatively little problem. That V shape where the gate meets the fence would be a breeze for a dog to jump up onto and wiggle out of.
i also think that is my weak point and would advise anyone doing this to build taller than 4 feet. however, i usually close the gap, using the black bungie cords so that going in and out isn't too big a deal. I just mowed the lawn yesterday, i had to open the gate, and have yet to close that weak spot up again. I am trying to figure out a way to use leaners on the gate, the problem is the gate is made of fencing top rail and is too small. leaners are made in 2 sizes, standard post size and corner post size. so if anyone comes up with an idea for the gate area, please let me know.

Last edited:
How big is your kennel, and how much did it cost in total?
the wooden privacy fence was already there, as was the property line fence. so i just added 1 side of fencing and my parents had it already and gave it to me. As the 1 side was 4 feet, i went ahead and used it since it also was 4 feet.

to buy just the leaners, fencing wire, and PVC to enclose it i spent about $75.

Dogs are not "imprisoned". They are not wolves that "must run free". They are domesticated animals and should be contained, need to be contained.

Almost every state has some sort of dog law, whether or not the local area has its own specific law. Those state laws apply if there is no local leash law, though it is a rare area that does not have some sort of dog containment law. My own county ordinance echoes almost word for word the Georgia state law, so that means that EVERY place in this state has a dog law, even if there is no county ordinance in place. State law applies, which gives everyone the right to shoot a dog harassing/worrying/killing livestock and poultry (they divide up livestock from poultry in this state).

Ok, thanks, maybe my parents will build me that. Just a little bigger and taller. Lol.

If you already have kennels built, covered with tarp. you could just put those on top depending on how high the fence is. Siberian Huskies are very smart, agile, and great climbers. They also like to RUN, bred to cover 40 miles a day with very little homing instinct, and of coarse a high prey drive. Siberians especially need containment for those reasons and also because, at least where i live, people love to steal them! all my dogs are microchipped, but i would much rather my dog not run off, be stolen, or shot for trespassing in the first place.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom