Poultry Breeds of Spanish Ancestry

I have some questions if you don't mind entertaining me briefly :)

I realize they're rare, do you know how rare? I'm wondering about the gene pool in the US.
They're said to be 6-8lbs; is that a historic weight or are you seeing this with your current stock?
Can you speak to the rate of growth and temperament (are you able to keep multiple cock birds)?

My opinion:
I'm sure the Catalana is considered a breed unsuited to new flock keepers (Mediterraneans never/rarely suggested instead losing out to the traditional heritage breeds like Orpingtons and Cochins) but the Mediterranean class in general seems well suited to my purpose and desires; the general description of them as flighty and intolerant of confinement does not dissuade me. The all business and no BS part is especially appealing. Perhaps I'll change my mind, get a breed that will pant in the heat and beg for lap time (tongue firmly in cheek), but that's why I've chosen to begin my research and learning well in advance :)

Thanks,
M

In the States they are very rare. I found after some serious looking, what I would call three breeding flocks. These are small flocks. I have one of them now. Of course there could be another somewhere, but I am not aware of it. Some of what is out there is from the hatcheries, and I do not count them. Not because I am anti hatchery, but because I have become familiar with those birds.

There are two hatcheries that carry what they call Catalanas, but I am no fan of them. One is obviously a crossed bird, and the other . . . well, it is not worth saying.

The non hatchery Catalanas that we have are well suited for new flock keepers. They are easy to manage. They are not flighty. Mine eat from my hands. They do not want to get picked up, and be pets, but they are easy to handle in your hands.

That stuff about being flighty and intolerant of confinement is from people that has never had this breed. Some Mediterranean breeds are like that. Some breeds and or strains are not. If you look back in this thread, you will see a post that I made coming from the experiences that someone had with this breed. A woman with some young girls that is a new flock keeper. She has some Orpingtons so that you know her frame of reference. I sent her some eggs wondering whether or not she would like them.

That lap time stuff we see here on here is silly. These chickens do not come to greet us, but looking for food. Some are easier to manage than others, and we have to decide for ourselves what is best for us. Easy to manage can be synonymous with lazy to.

I would only caution you by saying that a lot of the stuff on the internet is in fact BS. This surge in keeping poultry is new, and much of the information out there is posted by people that are new to poultry. Most do not have a lot of practical experience themselves. They tend to perpetuate what they have heard or read.

How many people have kept this breed themselves? I only know a few, so how is it known how they will behave or perform by so many?

The best way to know about any of these breeds is to take the time to discover what is a reputable source, and discuss the birds characteristics with that source. The good ones that know their birds, and have worked with them for some time will know and will give a good honest assessment. It varies from strain to strain as much as it does breed to breed.

Catalanas that we have here are active, so if they have the choice they will prefer to be out foraging. They also do well in confinement, but I would not recommend close confinement.

I could go on and on about them. They are the most delightful birds I have ever owned. These are good old fashioned farm birds. There are only downside is that they are so rare, and they need a lot of work. They have been neglected. For someone that is not intimidated by that, they are worth considering.

Look back and find that post with the experience with Catalanas. That is an objective view and was sent to me. I asked permission to post it. Many of these rare breeds have reputations based on the words of people that have never kept them.

Mine are undersized and they are here. They eventually get close to their weights, but this needs improvement. Keeping multiple cock birds is iffy. If they are raised together, maybe. Once separated, certainly not. They are birds with some spirit. They behave like a cock bird with vigor. Same with the females. They get along well within a mixed flock, but do not take to newcomers well. Everything good comes at a cost.

lau.gif

This struck me pretty funny there Ron! What are they doing that is so bad?
They think I am going to kill them each time I walk by--well I guess I am--and knock there water over. Then they jam themselves into the corner of the brooder when I clean out the wet shavings. I did move the pullet out because she was smashed into the corner and they were stomping on her.

Poor thing....

Oh, and they have bee crowing since they were a week old!

I am not supposed to have roosters so I have to keep things quiet until I can send them to the pace in Winters where I keep the boys.

Last edited:
ok so if i wanted to add more diversity to my wfbs gene pool, could i use andalusian, breed back to wfsb? or would that create more problems?
I would not use an Andalusion.

In fact I would not use another breed at all. There is enough decent Spanish around to use, and there is no need to go outside the breed. Some have went outside to the Black Minorca, and that is an option. But . . . some have already done it. I do not see a need to do it again.

The word diversity is overused and misunderstood, concerning the genetics of a flock. What you want is a strong ,healthy, viable, uniform flock that represents the breed well. Going outside the breed is a consideration when no accessible strain has the trait(s) that you need and you have become convinced that it is not in your flock to have. Then you play with that on the side and get it right before you commit to it. Otherwise you could make a mess.

I like the Spanish and have been watching who has what. A benefit that we have with the internet. I do not know who all has what completely, but I think there is everything that is needed is there based on what I have seen online.

I have not looked back through the thread to see what you have again, but for now, work with what you have. It will take a generation just to have an idea what you have. You do not just have what you see, you also have what is there that is unseen.

To make sure that your question is answered, you can change anything into anything by going back to one side continually. It is just a very long term commitment, and there would have to be no other good options to make use of.

I was able to get the Partridge Penedesenca chicks out. I have two pullets, one for sure cockerel and one likely cockerel.

This is the UofA Blue x Crele Penedesenca OE that had a white spot on it's head. It is a Cockerel of course:

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom