Saipan Jungle Fowl Thread

Hello, I recently rescued a Saipan Jungle Fowl hen. I am certain she is likely mixed with another breed. But I was wondering what can I feed her. She is currently 3 months old and for the time I have her on Purina non-medicated chick feed that has 19% protein. I know as she gets older she will need to be on other food. What is best recommended? Thank you

I am hopefully getting chicks this spring… last spring order was canceled by Hatchery.

What I have read is mixed on feeding this breed and I have not kept them yet but supposedly they can have troubles with whole grains, crop impaction… avoid dried beans and chocolate (which is usually suggested for all chickens)… some folks do the rice and meat (fish usually), others just use commercial feeds. The big thing seems to be watching their growth and adjusting for it because they do grow slow, so you don’t want them to put on weight faster than their skeleton can support. Anyway that is what I understand (hopefully a Saipan keeper with experience will chime in).

I had a few Oriental mixes and they grew slower, had similar body to Saipans, they did fine on the same feed we feed the others which is a soy free, corn free feed… lots of whole grains, my birds get supplement veggies/greens/sprouts, free range time, bugs, table scraps and so on as well. They do get a little corn in their diet but I limit it. I do feed a higher protein diet than most people as I found it stops certain flock issues in my mixed flock of laying hens.

I’m also trying to understand their feather type better, I keep reading small and tight… but that is it… anyone know what the texture of the adult feather is supposed to be… soft or hard or something else… just curious.

As a "pure" breed they are hard feathered, almost not enough feathers for Zone 5 and north.

My three Saipans, all boys… I need Saipan Eggs… I need a few girls. I did order 4 eggs but the incubator was dodgy and I don’t have high hopes for a hatch, sigh.
D099D6D4-C46A-4A2F-BACB-10BDC47DF7AF.jpeg
C9C36832-E043-4680-939E-6A6AE72D8E92.jpeg
B6689653-E164-4FAA-8F57-EFE8095B1B34.jpeg

Last edited:
Bummer MysteryChicken. The juveniles I posted are Cackle Chicks, one did not survive shipping (that was probably a female with my luck this year)… I placed the order for the first hatch, because last year the same thing happened to me the Saipans no showed (bad hatch)… I also heard they had a problem with their Production Red Rhode Island hatch this year.

Bummer MysteryChicken. The juveniles I posted are Cackle Chicks, one did not survive shipping (that was probably a female with my luck this year)… I placed the order for the first hatch, because last year the same thing happened to me the Saipans no showed (bad hatch)… I also heard they had a problem with their Production Red Rhode Island hatch this year.
The Red JungleFowl hatch got shorted due to the bad hatch, I received 4, + a BB Red JungleFowl Standard Old English Game chick.

They said they sent 4 Brassy Back OEGBs, but there was 5 with orange dots on their faces, which they identified as the brassy backs.

Oh wow, not sure what’s up with Cackle this year… but when I talked to them on the phone it was clear that there was problems with some breeds.

I saw some red jungle fowl eggs on eBay. The seller says the Line goes back to 1970s if I remember right.

I messaged the Saipan egg seller on eBay, hoping I can order a few more from them, but sometimes you can’t. I have 4 Saipan eggs in lockdown but I am afraid they are not going to hatch.

I did purchase some Asil eggs though to replace our Asils that got stolen. I hope they survive shipping and all hatch, as it is a specific line and they should be jaw dropping gorgeous Asils.

Oh wow, not sure what’s up with Cackle this year… but when I talked to them on the phone it was clear that there was problems with some breeds.

I saw some red jungle fowl eggs on eBay. The seller says the Line goes back to 1970s if I remember right.

I messaged the Saipan egg seller on eBay, hoping I can order a few more from them, but sometimes you can’t. I have 4 Saipan eggs in lockdown but I am afraid they are not going to hatch.

I did purchase some Asil eggs though to replace our Asils that got stolen. I hope they survive shipping and all hatch, as it is a specific line and they should be jaw dropping gorgeous Asils.
Someone stole your Asils? That's crazy.

I'll check out the Saipan Ebay seller, looked last time, & didn't see anyone selling eggs.

Back
Top Bottom