San Diego Chicken meetup and Chat thread

Quote:

Al, I think it is a very small niche for quail. Like I said, I just bought some quail eggs for Shabu Shabu and I got them at a Korean Market. It was 2 of the clear plastic sleeves, not sure if it was 8 or 10 eggs per sleeve? So either 16 or 20 eggs and they cost $1.40. I would not even want to know what that was wholesale. All I know is that I would be in the RED if I was selling them.
roll.png
They had the two sleeves of eggs stapled to a foam tray so time and money for supplies.

I had bought them near my sis's in Cerritos and I had come closer to my home looking for quail eggs and I could not find ANY at the Chinese Markets. Weird.

Nancy

I think the eggs are like $2 here in Seafood City. I don't realy see it in other Asian markets. But I only see frozen quail, no freash ones. How much does a dozen quails eat a day? And do they have an egg every day?
smile.png
It seems like the margin is tight but there must be money to be made. Chicken eats more and chicken eggs are about the same price.

Quote:

Al, I think it is a very small niche for quail. Like I said, I just bought some quail eggs for Shabu Shabu and I got them at a Korean Market. It was 2 of the clear plastic sleeves, not sure if it was 8 or 10 eggs per sleeve? So either 16 or 20 eggs and they cost $1.40. I would not even want to know what that was wholesale. All I know is that I would be in the RED if I was selling them.
roll.png
They had the two sleeves of eggs stapled to a foam tray so time and money for supplies.

I had bought them near my sis's in Cerritos and I had come closer to my home looking for quail eggs and I could not find ANY at the Chinese Markets. Weird.

Nancy

Al, It is the same here. I will have to go and ask if they even sell them in Chinatown anymore. They use to have them in cages but they must not allow it anymore because you walk into the Poultry shops and there are not any birds out front. Next time I take my mom, I will ask. Quails hatch quick and mature quick. And yes, when my dad had them, they laid like CRAZY. Everyday I would say. After awhile, we could not give them away. Family and friends were like no thanks.

I do not know how much they ate but I know the feed is more expensive than the chicken feed. Sorry, I could not be of more help but I am sure others will know.

Nancy

Quote:
roll.png

Nancy

I feed mine Gamebird/ Turkey Starter. They need high protein. It's the same price as a bag of chicken feed, but lasts longer, but you would really be surprised how much they eat. I only have 2 right now and they eat a big 44oz cup (like from the gas station) a week but that includes what they kick out of the feeder too. I have plans on expanding with females so if you guys want to buy eggs and quail and such let me know and I can give all the BYC'ers a really good break.
smile.png

Last edited:
So 50# would last only 18 weeks for 2!

I heard that quails are bottom feeders, I wondering if at lot less feed will be wasted if they are on the ground?

Quote:

Yeah that sounds about right a 50# bag lasts about 3 months or so, maybe a little more... My quail are in a hanging cage, so whatever feed they spill the chickens clean it up everyday, so it doesn't matter to me if they spill it because it still gets eaten.

Last edited:
Quote:
I learned something today. I did not know that Gamebird feed was the same price as chicken feed. I always thought it was more since the protein levels are HIGHER.

I'd better remember to buy the Gamebird Starter and have it ready when I hatch the quails.

Nancy

Back
Top Bottom