San Diego Chicken meetup and Chat thread

plants the chickens have not eaten.... This i can list

Jade
Aloe
Potato bush - purple flowers (poisonous)
lavender
palm trees

This year I've been amazed at how few of the flowers they've touched but as soon as the grass starts to get brown they may go for more flowers so i don't want to list those only to find out they get eat-in to the ground in 3 months.... They are tender and i would think that they'd been gone like the Poppies, Flax -the kind you eat, flowers are 24" tall, pretty periwinkle blue. the nasturtiums lay untouched still, black eyed Susan's, morning glory (poisonous), no one touched the scarlet bean runners and i find they don't eat the green beans either.

I'd love to know hear more flowers that everyone has growing.

I went to the feed store this morning to get some feed. There were a group of people around the baby chicks so of course i had to check them out. To my horrible dismay a mom was letting her toddler pick up the chicks and drop them. I had to put a stop to the insanity immediately. The store owner thanked me after laying down the law to the offenders. two of the poor chicks were injured
he.gif
, one with spradle leg and another with what appears to be a slipped Achilles tendon. Well both chicks were given to me free of charge, as well as 2 more just to keep them company. And all I wanted was feed!!! The lil one with spradle leg brace was applied and although it is a bit annoyed seems to be doing ok. The one with the slipped tendon, I rolled it back into place and used a bendy straw as a splint. This one not looking so good
sad.png
They are all Anconas.
What feed store was this?

My husband left the house today to go to work, but did not shut the door all the way. About 15 mins after he left as I was working on the pc, I became aware that there was a terrible chicken screaming sound coming from near my front porch, I immediately went to investigate, the first thing I see (to my horror) was the front door, slightly ajar. I looked then to the left, out into the dog yard. Two of my dogs were outside but still in thier fenced yard, barking furiously at something I couldn't see (but had heard, as it was a screaming chicken and my third dog) outside the yard. I ran outside barefoot shouting for Sweetie to stop (Sweetie is a red dachshund). Realizing I was not going to catch her barefoot I darted back in to grab the closest pair of shoes I could slip on. I go ouside, and the chickens are all gone, the dog is gone, the screaming chicken is gone. Elsewhere in the yard I hear the sounds of chickens crying out in alarm and fleeing from Sweetie. I run around past the garage towards the henhouse, knowing from experience that the chickens often run back to the henhouse, where the dog tends to pin them down. No dog, but I pass by my female duck sitting on the ground, she doesn't get up and I KNOW as I continue on to try to stop Sweetie that the duck must be hurt, otherwise me running by would have alarmed her. I finally find Sweetie trying to get into the bantam Naked Neck pen, but it's inpenatrable, so she's out of luck. I grab her, deposit her in the dog yard and search for the next 30 minutes for the missing chicken that was screaming, which based on it's feathers and absence is a Barred Olive Egger Rooster. Didn't find him until the afternoon, unable to use his leg much. Huge punctures on the thigh and a gaping hole in the "armpit" area of the inner thigh, I can see all the muscles, etc. Cleaned him up, gave him antibiotics, hes in the garage. Duck has no visable woulds, legs seem unbroken, but she's not walking much. I guess for her it's a watch and wait situation. Not the dogs fault, we know how they are. My husband feels terrible, and I really have no idea how he left the house without shutting the front door.
barnie.gif
And that was my day. How was yours?

My husband left the house today to go to work, but did not shut the door all the way. About 15 mins after he left as I was working on the pc, I became aware that there was a terrible chicken screaming sound coming from near my front porch, I immediately went to investigate, the first thing I see (to my horror) was the front door, slightly ajar. I looked then to the left, out into the dog yard. Two of my dogs were outside but still in thier fenced yard, barking furiously at something I couldn't see (but had heard, as it was a screaming chicken and my third dog) outside the yard. I ran outside barefoot shouting for Sweetie to stop (Sweetie is a red dachshund). Realizing I was not going to catch her barefoot I darted back in to grab the closest pair of shoes I could slip on. I go ouside, and the chickens are all gone, the dog is gone, the screaming chicken is gone. Elsewhere in the yard I hear the sounds of chickens crying out in alarm and fleeing from Sweetie. I run around past the garage towards the henhouse, knowing from experience that the chickens often run back to the henhouse, where the dog tends to pin them down. No dog, but I pass by my female duck sitting on the ground, she doesn't get up and I KNOW as I continue on to try to stop Sweetie that the duck must be hurt, otherwise me running by would have alarmed her. I finally find Sweetie trying to get into the bantam Naked Neck pen, but it's inpenatrable, so she's out of luck. I grab her, deposit her in the dog yard and search for the next 30 minutes for the missing chicken that was screaming, which based on it's feathers and absence is a Barred Olive Egger Rooster. Didn't find him until the afternoon, unable to use his leg much. Huge punctures on the thigh and a gaping hole in the "armpit" area of the inner thigh, I can see all the muscles, etc. Cleaned him up, gave him antibiotics, hes in the garage. Duck has no visable woulds, legs seem unbroken, but she's not walking much. I guess for her it's a watch and wait situation. Not the dogs fault, we know how they are. My husband feels terrible, and I really have no idea how he left the house without shutting the front door.
barnie.gif
And that was my day. How was yours?
tuff day...

i got word my little immigrants in the Philippines have a nice little avian pox thing going. taking vaccination with me for the new hatchers and will isolate them till vaccinated.

Back
Top Bottom