San Diego Chicken meetup and Chat thread

I think I may have gotten in over my head here, but what else is new?

Anyway, we went horseback riding on vacation and my son has been talking about it ever since. So I was thinking about sending him to some sort of equine camp this summer, as I know nothing about horses. Does anyone know of a camp or lesson program they would recommend? I do want him to get a sense of the entire process of riding a horse. A program that has an emphasis on scooping poop would be ideal....

Alternately - anyone who has a horse want a poop scooper for the summer? Hehehe...poor kid, he has no idea how much horses poop.

I think I may have gotten in over my head here, but what else is new?

Anyway, we went horseback riding on vacation and my son has been talking about it ever since. So I was thinking about sending him to some sort of equine camp this summer, as I know nothing about horses. Does anyone know of a camp or lesson program they would recommend? I do want him to get a sense of the entire process of riding a horse. A program that has an emphasis on scooping poop would be ideal....

Alternately - anyone who has a horse want a poop scooper for the summer? Hehehe...poor kid, he has no idea how much horses poop.
There used to be a Horse camp called Rawhide Ranch where the kids spent six weeks in bunkhouses and learned horses from the ground up.... eventually graduating to riding on their own. and woo Hoo they still exist http://rawhideranch.com/

There are also numerous places that have summer programs some associated with the Boy scouts some offering their own program. The one I am familiar with is in Lakeside and its in a boarding stable named Heartland Ranch. http://www.heartlandranchonline.com/
they have a couple of excellent lesson programs geared just for kids either on a group level or on an individual level.

But there may be boarding stables in your area that offer the same or similar services. When they are just starting out they should learn all aspects along with riding..... Grooming, Saddle bridle care, clenaing hooves, SAFETY or what not to do how to hold a rope how to tie a rope, As well as Why these things are important.

But where ever you go the litmus paper for me is that they should REQUIRE helmets. And if the trainer rides without a helmet ask them why. Often times a trainer will have helmets to use but they are an inexpensive investment. Especially for a youngster still growing the Youth helmets are priced so that it wont break the bank when they grow out of it.

All of the places will gladly take volunteers for "cleanup duty".... LOL. As long as the child is safe and curteous and follows directions.

deb "who got her first horse in 1967"

Last edited:
Had to share ;)

Love our Ben :) he is a rescue we've had for about ten months . Yes there is lots of scooping LOL

I just saw a couple of traps at the temecula Walmart. For rats and gophers? I'll take some pictures of what kinds (next time I am there) and send them to you.

Last edited:
Quarterhorse. And yes lots of great mulch for the garden
smile.png

Speaking of which.... the squirrels and moles around here are killing my farmer dreams
sad.png
we fenced, but the squirrels climb over and the moles dig under.... suggestions????
i have a great squirrel trap its called a Squirrelinator. I got it at a feed store in escondido, but they sell them all over. just throw in some tomato scraps and they get stuck and cant get out. i relocate them about 10 miles away. if you leave it in the direct sunlight though you may find some dead squirrels after a few hours tho...
tongue.gif

Back
Top Bottom