San Diego Chicken meetup and Chat thread

Hey everyone,

If you get up to Mammoth now and then and are looking for some new chickens, I'm located right where the 395 meets the 14. Pick them up on your way home! Currently I have the following available:

• Olive Egger (OE) chicks 3 weeks old $8/each straight run. (10 available)
  • Wellsummer/Black Copper Marans cross dark egg layer pullets, 10 weeks, $15/each (4 available)
  • Welsummer/Black Copper Marans cockerels, will be very handsome and perfect for OE project if you have blue egg laying Ameraucanas, 10 weeks, $10/each (2 available).
  • Pure bred blue Ameraucana/cockerel, non-standard coloring from Splash/White Am breeding, 10 weeks, $10/each (2 available).
  • OE pullets $20/each and OE roosters $15/each. 7 weeks old. Very handsome, black with white hackle feathers; some as yet all black.

An OE cockerel:

~Elaine
Hi Elaine... Not going up there but its just such a small world. I had family that lived in Inyokern still have a cousin.... Do you remember a restaurant called the Two sisters? My Aunt Lucia worked there for years...

Aunt Helen and Uncle Mitch had five acres outside of town... Uncle Mitch became the Police Chief of Ridgecrest He used to be an MP in the navy so it was a good fit. This was all back in the 70s They are long passed...

Exept for the cousin.

deb

Hi Elaine... Not going up there but its just such a small world. I had family that lived in Inyokern still have a cousin.... Do you remember a restaurant called the Two sisters? My Aunt Lucia worked there for years...

Aunt Helen and Uncle Mitch had five acres outside of town... Uncle Mitch became the Police Chief of Ridgecrest He used to be an MP in the navy so it was a good fit. This was all back in the 70s They are long passed...

Exept for the cousin.

deb

I used to eat there a lot, we loved it! We've only been here 4 and a half years, ten years before that in Ridgecrest. Most of that time was spent dreaming about moving onto property in Inyokern, lol. It's changed a lot because of thousands of acres of pistachios that were put in the last few years...we are now worried that the clock is ticking on how long we will have water in our aquifer. But for now it's our paradise. :)

Quote: I love the Mojave.... Uncle Mitch's cinderblock house should still be out there my cousin Richard bought it from their son Steve. All I remember of it was there was a huge water tower on the side of the house.... the old fashioned woooden kind.

I have a place here in San Diego County in the High desert. about two miles from the border. I love high desert too. This one has mild temperatures just dry...

Yep our aquefer has dropped a hundred feet... just from drought... No ag going up here. My well is 450 feet deep. Others in the area are being done a good 500-600 feet. I am worried.

deb

Do you all know of people who have bantams for sale in the SD area? I need to avoid roosters since I'm in the city, but would love 3 young pullets, preferable of different breeds. I should be ready by August or Sept. to have them, as I'm still working on the coop and finishing up some construction, so maybe some that are hatching in the next few weeks? I can't ship only 3 bantams judging from what I'm finding online. I'd like an blue or green egg layer, a feathered foot breed, and some sort of brown egg layer. I'd like to avoid the silkies and Polish, and other fluffy headed types as I don't want to worry about them getting their feathers pecked out. (They are super cute, however.) Do the feed stores only sell chicks? Anyone breed multiple breeds of bantams within a hour or two driving distance from SD that you know of?

Thanks!

I do! I have blue-layer feather-footed bantams. They are Silkie Showgirl x Ameraucana crosses, with small or no head tufts (not big fluffy ones like pure Silkies). I hatch more every couple weeks. I'll attach photos some of the ones that have grown up.

I do! I have blue-layer feather-footed bantams. They are Silkie Showgirl x Ameraucana crosses, with small or no head tufts (not big fluffy ones like pure Silkies). I hatch more every couple weeks. I'll attach photos some of the ones that have grown up.

Wonderful! Thanks! When I get the coop situated and construction calmed down, I'll contact you.

New to chickens, looking to get a couple chicks once the coop is finished.

Any suggestions on places to buy inexpensive chicks in east county?

New to chickens, looking to get a couple chicks once the coop is finished.

Any suggestions on places to buy inexpensive chicks in east county?

Halleluja... someone who is building the coop.... FIRST
gig.gif
Awesome.

East county you can take your pick.
Double S Feed
East County Feed
Carters May have chicks

I bought my Wellsummers at Double S...

What general area are you located

deb

Back
Top Bottom