San Diego Chicken meetup and Chat thread

From the Crazy H-Bar Ranch;
I see many asking about a Meet-Up. I want to know how many people would want a Meet up sooner than November? What is the interest level for doing a Elsinore meet in July or August...

Halleluja... someone who is building the coop.... FIRST   :gig Awesome.

East county you can take your pick.
Double S Feed
East County Feed
Carters May have chicks

I bought my Wellsummers at Double S...

What general area are you located

deb

I 2nd double S. Got 2 flocks from them so far both 1 day old total of 10. EE, NHR, and BA. Rita is very helpful and informative!

A friend told me that Diamond D Feed in Ramona has over stocked chicks and the chicks are growing up in the brooder pens. They are large and overcrowded and stressed! If anybody wants to help some of these chicks out....? Should call first to make sure they still have them before driving very far. They had RIR and Rocks and something white....

Halleluja... someone who is building the coop.... FIRST
gig.gif
Awesome.

East county you can take your pick.
Double S Feed
East County Feed
Carters May have chicks

I bought my Wellsummers at Double S...

What general area are you located

deb

Santee. Just down the road from EastCountyFeed. Was in there the other day (in the area, they had super cheap propane) and they didn't have chicks at the moment. They said there would be more in soon.

Any suggestions on good layer breeds that are friendly for east county? Thats the next ? I have. want to get something that can withstand the 100 degree weather without wilting (like I do!) and isn't a PITA like I have read some chickens are.

Last edited:
Quote:
I am living in Santee right now with my Grandmother.... near the Santee Lakes.... Been in Santee for almost fifty years now. off and on

You know I was very pleasantly surprised about my Welsummers... Lovely brown speckled egg Beautiful shiny feathers. My home is 60 miles east of El Cajon and it can get up to 105 in the summer there. I had more eggs than I knew what to do with.

I dont handle the chickens more than just occasional inspections and to give them treats when I sit down by the coop. Treats from me are a handfull of scratch or even just their own layer pellets. they would flock around me...

Welsummers are self sexing... meaning you can identify boys from girls by their color patterns as chicks. The girls have very pronounced "eyeliner"
lau.gif
not kidding. And if you are able to have a roo the Welsummer roos are stately and very good with their girls and as far as I could tell respectful of their humans.

I also had great success with Easter Eggers... The chicks are soo cute and you wont be able to tell what color they are going to be when they grow up... some will lay blue green eggs some will lay pink eggs and some will lay white.... Blue and bluegreen are pretty common.

Double S is where I got my Welsummers. They were using Redwing hatchery at the time.
I got my EEs at East County.

You can call either and ask what they are getting in as well... Both Rita and Marty are very knowledgeable.
You also can order chicks in the mail... its a real kick to go to the post office and have someone go back an bring in a peeping box....

deb

Last edited:
There is a gal here that raises them for sale....  but I will be danged If I can remember her name. 

Maybe someone else will remember.....  But I havent seen her post in a very long time.

This may or may not be her

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/grd/5127869892.html

deb

Thanks Deb.. I was hoping for someone in north county so i wouldn't have to spend the money on gas to get down there... But i will still check it out, if her prices with the added gas money can compare to pet store prices then i might make a trip over there : )

Back
Top Bottom