San Diego Chicken meetup and Chat thread

Just about a month old now. They like getting out in the yard. Integrating with the rest of them... not so good.

They are growing well!
:love

Hi "Peeps", My name is Monta and I live in South Park and have had my flock for about 5 years now with several new additions in the last year. All different breeds-- Orphinton, Barred Rock, Easter Eggers, Silky, Marin, and one more kind I can't remember name of.
Love having variety in birds and eggs-- so fun!

I have a question:
I am paying a fortune for Organic feed down here in Central SD. We always say we eat the most expensive eggs in the world. Usually buy at City Farmers or SD Pet Supply, but I have a feeling I could be getting a better deal if I went to a feed store. I mean, after all, isn't "chicken feed" an expression for something that's really cheap? ; ) I'm willing to drive ways-- I perform storytime at libraries all over the county each month, so often visit Inland N. County, as far as RB or in East county, out Santee way.

Cheapest I've found own here in town is San Diego Pet Supply in Lemon Grove $35 for 50 lb bag of organic lay crumble or $25 for non-organic. Seems like only brand these places carry is Kruse brand.

Another question-- anyone ever had your vet say that organic feed causes problems? Vet at SD Avian & Exotic admonished me for giving my hens organic feed, telling me he sees nothing but problems with hens fed organic. He also has his own flock. My hens are healthy and happy and lay a ton. This admonishment came when I had a sick RIR who had to be put down. They all eat the same feed and she's the only one who's died. She was 4 years old.

I'd appreciate any and all suggestions.

@Porch Chickens Howdy fellow city dweller. We buy our feed at City Farmers, as well. We're aware we pay a bit of a premium but doing so also supports one of our favorite businesses.

I would gather the feed store in Santee would be a bit cheaper and the more into Riverside or Imperial counties the cheaper you'd find stuff at feed stores. The only thing thing I'm not stoked about getting gauged on right now is straw... $17/bale is a lot more than it should be.

As for the question about organic feed. I think there are just some vets who have preferences on stuff. They tell me the same stuff about my dogs flee meds, I just smile and nod. We give our chickens plenty of table scraps which saves us a bit on the $$$ side of things, especially when the garden is really going.

Adam

Check out Double S Feed they carry organic

http://doublestackandfeed.com/products/

They are on old highway 8 next exit after Chase... as you are heading out El Cajon.

They also carry exotic feeds. Flamingo Chow, Monkey Chow..... I bought Mazuri Game chow for a supplement for my Guinea Fowl. Mazuri usually runs about sixty a bag but they brought it in at thirty five. I fed it at the rate of five percent added to their regular feed. Made no difference by the way.

One of the issues some have about Organic is many brands have no animal protein in it. Chickens are omnivores.

East County is the closest to me but the last time I was in there she didnt carry Organic. quite a few years ago I am sure that has changed
http://eastcountyfeed.com/

Carter's Hay & Grain Inc
4.7 (17) · Animal Feed Store
Long-standing feed store carrying hay, pet food & tack supplies, plus ranch equipment.
Lakeside, CA
(619) 561-0631
Open until 6:00 PM

Here is an interactive map

Give em each a call ....

deb

Thanks so much-- I will check these out!
I also since called a feed store in Poway since I'll be up there next week.
Same price as SD Pet supply for organic, but only $14.99 for 50 lb bag of regular feed.

I do like to support my local businesses, but also need to feed my kids and have one soon to leave for college, so may have to give up on organic. The non-organic at the Poway store is vegetarian, anyway. I don't like chickens being fed chickens, and I've heard that's the "animal protein" that's going in there. My birds get plenty of bugs from the yard.

I do like to support my local businesses, but also need to feed my kids and have one soon to leave for college, so may have to give up on organic. The non-organic at the Poway store is vegetarian, anyway. I don't like chickens being fed chickens, and I've heard that's the "animal protein" that's going in there. My birds get plenty of bugs from the yard.

Most of em use fish meal.... I know Purena does. You can read all the lables on line.... I know I did.

Costco (at least our Costco - Poway) sells an organic 40lb layer for around $19/bag... it's worth trying. FWIW, I'm in a co-op for Modesto Milling feeds; that helps save a lot of money.

Back
Top Bottom