San Diego Chicken meetup and Chat thread

Vanna I was thinking. I am in the same kind of environment as you.... and I have Crows and Ravens big time... But the most stealing I have experienced was from Ground squirrels.... Not only will they eat food but they also will steal eggs. Little Bas$%ds. They mined my coop so one day when I went in I sank up to my ankles when the ground gave way.

Oh and My turkey tom was death to intruders....... Or thought he was...
gig.gif
Mr T did a great job keeping Barnyard peace. Wild Turkey He was a good flier too. His wife Mrs T was always around ignoring him.... ::snort::

wanted to throw this in before the site switches over.
deb

Hi Deb,

Thanks for the info. I do think there's either a rat or a squirrel eating the eggs in one of my silkie coop (I did see a large scary rat when I went in to to check on the hens), because every so often I find the eggs with a hole eaten out of the side. I think in my big girl coop it started out with crows because the eggs would disappear and my golf balls would be strewn out all over the place. I haven't seen a crow in a while since putting up bird table, but i'm starting to think one of the chickens up there has become an egg eater. That or there are squirrels up there that I'm just not seeing. I didn't have this problem last year, but last year I also had guineas and they may have scared away rodents and crows. No guineas this year though. I re-homed them because they were also terrorizing the chickens.

Hello everyone. I live in Chula Vista and I am new to having chickens. I am always curious which and how many of my neighbors also have chickens and how its going for them. Anyone from Chula Vista on this thread?

Hello! I used to live in Chula Vista down in Ocean View Hills. Before I moved though I had like 16+ chickens that I kept in my backyard. No roos, all hens. My neighbors were pretty cool about it. I bribed them with free fresh eggs :)

I'm beginning to get overrun with babies here! On top of the chicks I'm keeping and a BUNCH of cockerels, I have 4- 4 week old F1 Olive Eggers (CL/ Blue Marans), 5 CL pullets (including 2 sports), and 3 EE (CL/EE) chicks, just hatched, available for $15 each, and 2 BCM's for $25 each or both for $45. They have all had their Mareks vaccine. I'm in Escondido. Message me if interested or for pics!
I currently have 48 CL, 3 Sapphire (? CL/Ameraucana), 14 BCM, 9 B/S Marans, and 1 Wheaten Marans eggs cooking in the bators!! Some of the incubating CL eggs and the Sapphire eggs are from my own flock. (The sports are not from mine!) My Roo is from a blue egg, and I will only be hatching from the blue eggs in the next month.

Hello everyone. I am new to the group wanted to say hi. I have been reading through the thread and I have learned a lot already. My family is raising 5 chickens who are 5-6 weeks old (2 EE, 1 Buff Orpington, 1 Autrolorp, and 1 Welsummer). I live in the city of San Diego so we are at our limit (we would love more).

I have a few local questions that I was hoping that someone might be able to answer for me. In our climate (I live near near the 125) at what age can I put our chickens out in their coop overnight? I have read a range of answers across the forums for different parts of the country and my chickens are not happy about being in the brooder.

Also, Carter's Feed in Lakeside has Modesto Milling starter for about $34.00. Am I going to find a better deal in our area?

check out Double S as well
http://doublestackandfeed.com/

They are on Old Hwy 80 near Blossom valley in El Cajon.

Welcome To BYC. :welcome

Locations do vary... LOL.
The chicks can go out once they are fully Fledged on their bodies. Protected from the wind and given a place they can dog pile .... LOL. They will sleep on the ground the first few days till they figure out how to get on a perch.

My coops dont have solid walls so I put up tarps or wood temporarily.

deb

Here are the new kids on the block at 12 weeks. Just 8 weeks to go until we start thinking about eggs!

The one on the left has had the helmet for the longest... one on the right, it's just taking shape.

View attachment 551514
It's crazy to see just how different they're turning out to be! Unless the had different parents altogether! They are beautiful though! Waiting for them to lay is almost as exciting as waiting for them to hatch!

Hello everyone. I am new to the group wanted to say hi. I have been reading through the thread and I have learned a lot already. My family is raising 5 chickens who are 5-6 weeks old (2 EE, 1 Buff Orpington, 1 Autrolorp, and 1 Welsummer). I live in the city of San Diego so we are at our limit (we would love more).

I have a few local questions that I was hoping that someone might be able to answer for me. In our climate (I live near near the 125) at what age can I put our chickens out in their coop overnight? I have read a range of answers across the forums for different parts of the country and my chickens are not happy about being in the brooder.

Also, Carter's Feed in Lakeside has Modesto Milling starter for about $34.00. Am I going to find a better deal in our area?
:frow Hi! I'm in Escondido. I usually start introducing them to the outdoors at 6 weeks and they're usually outside completely by 8-10 weeks. Weather is a factor as well, but I guess the heat is coming back now.

Back
Top Bottom