San Diego Chicken meetup and Chat thread

Quote:
I would love to try some of the feta, mozzerella cheese, and goat milk please
smile.png

Looks like we don't have enough orders to fill a second pallet, though we could get about halfway.

So I will be placing the order tomorrow morning for the 1 pallet.

To be distributed at our next Meet-Up at Lake Murray on October 9th (Sunday) at 11 am.

Please PM me and let me know if you would like your invoice emailed to you.

Thanks!

Hi Everyone-
I've been out of the loop for awhile now & need some advice from this knowledgeable community.
The laying of my three 10 mos. old SLW hens has seriously dropped off in the past month. They still all eating & free ranging when I'm home - I haven't changed the type of feed or treats and now one of them has started to CROW
sad.png
in the wee morning hours (while still in the coop). I can't tell which one is crowing yet - but it's definitely a crow and not an egg(less) song:rolleyes:. I did find on BYC a thread about damaged ovaries & testosterone taking over & changing the hen into a rooster more or less but the occurrences were very rare like 1 in 100,000. Could I be so lucky? Anyone ever have such a thing happen in their flock? Any possible solutions? My closest neighbor has been ok w/them because "they are so quiet & we love the eggs" but now I have no eggs to bribe w/ and the one is not at all quiet at 6 am .... what to do?

Quote:

I have heard of hens crowing when there are no roosters around. Is it possible that you could post a picture of your chickens so we can look at them and make sure they are indeed girls?

And yes, with the shorter daylight hours and fall approaching egg laying will be declining. Mine are too.

Hi Cari,
I just want to re verify that the meet up will be Sun. Oct. 9th as earlier you had said Oct. 8. I need to let flower know as I'll be picking up a rooster for her and need to get it to her at the meet up. Thanks!!

Quote:

I have heard of hens crowing when there are no roosters around. Is it possible that you could post a picture of your chickens so we can look at them and make sure they are indeed girls?

And yes, with the shorter daylight hours and fall approaching egg laying will be declining. Mine are too.

Hey Cari, I'm pretty sure they're all girls as I returned the boy to you awhile back. Here's pictures of them I just took. If it is the case of a hen crowing because there's no rooster is there anything I can do about it? Put a rooster poster in the coop maybe
wink.png
? As for eggs it went from 2-3/day to 1 every 2nd or 3rd day which I thought was fairly dramatic. Thanks for your help!

69864_dsc03347.jpg

69864_dsc03349.jpg

Back
Top Bottom