San Diego Chicken meetup and Chat thread

Quote:

Yeah those definitely look like girls. Looks like you have a crowing hen!
ep.gif
You can try putting a real rooster in there and see if he submits them down the chicken ladder. Let them establish new hierarchy and see if that helps. Not sure if that is an option to you though.

Only other thing I can think of is to separate the offender for a while and put her in "time out" in her own cage of sorts. Or to get rid of the offender.
idunno.gif
You can try doing a search on here though and see if there are more options.

And you might want to check and make sure there are no broken egg shells or sticky stuff in the nest where they lay. It could just be the winter, but it could be you have an egg eater too. Watch closely.

I have a bantam hen that crows when there is no rooster in her pen. I hear stories of this alot and I bet it's more common than we think. With backyard chickens it's probably just more likely to be noticed. I don't know how to help though aside from getting a roo. Mine didn't do it often and it was sort of a pathetic attempt at random times of the day. I wonder if a decoy roo would work or if they would be freaked out... maybe a tape recorder (do they even make those anymore?) in the coop at night with roo crows on low...lol
idunno.gif

Quote:

Ok I am having a Webs glitch and can't update it. Anyone else available to if I walk them through it?

Cari, Just PM me the user name and password for Webs and I should be able to fix it.

Oct 9 works great for me. Cari, thank you for doing the food run again.

Coastal Chick, I think my layers are on vacation as well. They range from 1 year to about 18 months. I have been getting 9-10 eggs from 12 layers for about the last 7 months, and before that I got 5-6 eggs from the 6 layers from the time they were about 5 months old. For the past couple weeks my egg numbers went down to 5-6 per day with a couple of 8 egg days. I think I even had a 2 egg day! I thought it was the heat wave that might have caused it, but it's been beautiful weather for quite a while. I know I have at least two that are moulting, but the others seem normal, with bright red combs and good energy. I think they're just being slackers....Even my dependable brown leghorns are hardly laying.

Back
Top Bottom