San Diego Chicken meetup and Chat thread

Quote:
gave some mealworms this morning, and she made such happy little noises
love.gif

Hi everyone. I called Lake Murray today because last time we had trouble and they said we required a permit. So... as of Jan 1st the park requires a permit to have our gathering with a fee of $27 in order for us to have "livestock" there.
roll.png
I am setting it up, we should be ok with the date but they are double checking and getting back to me along with the paperwork.
If you can afford to pitch in a dollar or 2 at the meetup that would be helpful and appreciated. I'll keep you posted.
fl.gif
our date is ok.

Just talked to them - now they said we DONT need a permit and there's no fee!!
roll.png

The lady that bothered us last time was confused and the livestock clause is for large animals.
They were concerned whether we had money changing hands or if the birds would be out of cages. I just told them we trade stuff and yes they will be caged. The rangers could care less what we are doing so nothing to worry about.
We just have to let them know we will be there ahead of time in case other events are going on. They said there is 2 large events the next 2 weekends after this one.

Thanks for the suggestions, Cari and craftychicken. Building a box for them probably won't work. I think we will move the youngsters in tonight and shutter the coop windows to reduce light. Hopefully that will be enough to prevent any skirmishes. Also, hubby lets them out pretty early.

We had an issue with a couple of birds that started feather plucking (leghorns) and gave them 27% protein turkey starter. It cured them instantly. Feathers grew back in a week. We did not even need even to separate them.

Magical stuff!!!!

I will bring something yummy and probably sweet to the meet.
Also can bring some young birds if anyone is interested. I don't have many but eggs came from great breeders.
Pullets: 2 Wheaten marans and 1 buff orpington , matching boys are free
tongue.png
(had 11 maran eggs hatch, 9 boys and 2 girls
th.gif
) . Also unsexed lavender Ameraucanas and white silkies. Please pm if anyone wants me to bring them.

Also does anyone know of someone looking for a very tame cameo peahen and has space to free range her and has other peafowl? She really does not like being penned which is the only reason we are considering giving her up. She had a bunch of pied and loud pied babies this year, so she carries either pied or white or both genes.

Edited to say the pehen is 2 years old

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom