September Hatch-A-Long

Ended up pulling a couple more, so now out of 40 original eggs I am down to 18. A couple of blood rings, 2 early deaths and the rest either scrambled or never got started. BUT the eggs that are left are full of lively active embryos. I'm worried about a couple of really wonky ugly air cells, though.

Worried that with my daily dwindling future flock might not have enough layers, I swung by TJ's today and picked up a dozen fertile eggs that I'll load into the incubator later, making hatch No. 2 just 10+ days behind hatch No. 1. At least I know this: Eggs from Trader Joe's are handled far more delicately than those handled by the USPS. I'm looking forward to some decent looking air cells in eggs that are easy to candle.

The store-bought eggs were packed 8 days ago....I've hatched older

you can hatch those eggs up to 28 days, so you have a good window if your first hatch fails. good luck! I totally want to see everyone's hatch day pictures!

My incubator is an ancient 25-year-old Miller (now known as a Little Giant). I've only had to replace the wafer and the windows due to age degradation. It was stored under Mom's house at one time where rats got to it and gnawed the outside a little bit. Added an auto egg turner and then a computer fan (which is only used to clear out excess humidity at hatch time). It's not pretty, but it sure is functional! I've hatched out chicken, duck and geese eggs in it.

Tip of the Day: The secret to these incubators is to elevate them off their bottoms because the bottom has air holes. So mine is resting on the lid to a large plastic storage container with the edges overhanging the outside lips of the plastic lid. This allows for natural air flow from bottom to top and fresh air, which is vital for good egg health.

Filling the Incubator Monday 8/25 will be due to hatch 9/16 Don't know how many I am setting yet...let just say until the incubator will hold no more... I am not using the turner and will hand turn, Hova Bator.. seems I read somewhere I can get 48 in??
lau.gif

Any idea how many and what kind this time?
Just a few. I'll probably just set whatever my golden Comets lay on Monday or Tuesday.
I've been thinking about setting one or two from my pullet who started laying at the end of last month. Only problem is that she lays small eggs and she didn't start laying until she was six months old, and my other two Leghorn mix pullets are still not laying (@ seven months old); that kind of leaves a bad taste in my mouth about hatching out her offspring.

Just a few. I'll probably just set whatever my golden Comets lay on Monday or Tuesday.
I've been thinking about setting one or two from my pullet who started laying at the end of last month. Only problem is that she lays small eggs and she didn't start laying until she was six months old, and my other two Leghorn mix pullets are still not laying (@ seven months old); that kind of leaves a bad taste in my mouth about hatching out her offspring.

I can understand that...

I cannot hatch here until spring, as winter is fast approaching. No one told Ethel I guess.

I am already trying to decide which roosters to keep. I would like to keep Brutus, he is a HUGE production red, but he walks like a CX already, he kind of lumbers. He is beautiful bird, but I wonder if he will be able to breed in the spring, or even be here with his size. I would love to have his babies, if they grow as fast as he did though...

Now a question, Ethel came up to eat a couple hours ago, I picked her up to carry her to some higher energy/protein feed. She is skin and bones. Is this normal during broody time? Should I find her nest and take her eggs to the incubator? Suggestion required.

Hello Everyone! I enjoyed reading all the posts in the August hatch so Im in for this month. The eggs that I set are due to hatch on Sept 9th, ordered a mix of eggs from ebay. 3 of the eggs seemed to be seeping slowly so I had to throw away a blue polish, golden lakenvelder and pumpkin hulsey. :(. Good news is there are 21 eggs left from the shipment. :lol:

Has anyone tried to hatch trader joes fertile eggs? I was in the market and I was so tempted to buy some and give it a try.

Ended up pulling a couple more, so now out of 40 original eggs I am down to 18.  A couple of blood rings, 2 early deaths and the rest either scrambled or never got started.  BUT the eggs that are left are full of lively active embryos.  I'm worried about a couple of really wonky ugly air cells, though.

Worried that with my daily dwindling future flock might not have enough layers, I swung by TJ's today and picked up a dozen fertile eggs that I'll load into the incubator later, making hatch No. 2 just 10+ days behind hatch No. 1.  At least I know this:  Eggs from Trader Joe's are handled far more delicately than those handled by the USPS.  I'm looking forward to some decent looking air cells in eggs that are easy to candle.

The store-bought eggs were packed 8 days ago....I've hatched older

I should have read your post more carefully. I want to try trader joe eggs, and I think I will! :thumbsup

Back
Top Bottom