September Hatch-A-Long

Thanks for the advice Duluthralphie. The eggs luckily came off the carton without breaking. I'm praying the bloom does its job now more than ever and protects those chicks. I'm sorry for your lost chick.

You hatch in cartons?

I never thought of that until I saw it here. Does it work well for you? Does it matter if it is a foam or cardboard carton?

Do you incubate in cartons to or just hatch?

I have a turning tray, and have thought about lining each "cup" with a paper of something in case an egg explodes again.

I am no expert by any means, only hatched once before using my same set up. The previous hatch, as well as his one were from shipped eggs. On the previous eggs, had a lot of detached air cells but most of the chucked grew until the end. Unfortunately I had 8 die at the end I believe when I took them out of the carton and laid them down on their side to hatch. They were fully formed etc. I had 10 out of 30 make it on that hatch. Would have been 18/30.

This hatch I started with 32 eggs. 14 clears, 1 blood ring, and 1 exploded egg. I'm down to 16 viable eggs which show great movement every time I candle, and yes, I have candled on day 10, 11, 13, 14, and 16. Day 17 for me now. I left two eggs in the carton on my prior hatch and they hatched without any problems. I am thinking of doing the same thing on this hatch but we'll see how it goes. The air cells on the remaining 16 eggs look real good. I may play it by ear so to speak.

Anyone else leave their eggs in a carton or turner in an upright position to hatch? I use a standard cardboard? carton, not styrofoam.

These pics were from before I removed the clears, blood ring one and exploded egg.

Last edited:
Prepping for lockdown!! I'm so stinking excited I think I might turn inside out! I've got a bit of a staggered hatch so I'm moving 3 of the 10 into a second bator. Fingers crossed!!
celebrate.gif

I am no expert by any means, only hatched once before using my same set up. The previous hatch, as well as his one were from shipped eggs. On the previous eggs, had a lot of detached air cells but most of the chucked grew until the end. Unfortunately I had 8 die at the end I believe when I took them out of the carton and laid them down on their side to hatch. They were fully formed etc. I had 10 out of 30 make it on that hatch. Would have been 18/30.

This hatch I started with 32 eggs. 14 clears, 1 blood ring, and 1 exploded egg. I'm down to 16 viable eggs which show great movement every time I candle, and yes, I have candled on day 10, 11, 13, 14, and 16. Day 17 for me now. I left two eggs in the carton on my prior hatch and they hatched without any problems. I am thinking of doing the same thing on this hatch but we'll see how it goes. The air cells on the remaining 16 eggs look real good. I may play it by ear so to speak.

Anyone else leave their eggs in a carton or turner in an upright position to hatch? I use a standard cardboard? carton, not styrofoam.

These pics were from before I removed the clears, blood ring one and exploded egg.
I hatched upright. Started with 16 eggs. Had 10 clears. 6/6 in lockdown hatched. I hatched upright in a carton and all pipped on the right end. I had one assist because she was shrink wrapped after pipping externally because I opened the incubator too soon. She was pipped for 36 hours before I assisted.

My 11 year old came running in to my room this morning yelling "We got one! We got one!"

I go in the laundry room where I had the incubator set up and find one of my Icelandic eggs had opened up and given me a chick. About five minutes later we saw one of my five BA X EE eggs give us a little black chick (with the Icelandic next to it cheering it along). After the black one got its legs under it they both went back and forth to two other eggs that are pipping (one Icelandic and one BA X EE) to give pep talks. Hopefully we'll have a few more by the end of the day.

Sorry the pics aren't the best but only had my phone handy.

Update: 20 out, 6 more have piped, 5 are internally piped and 1 upon candling looks to be a late bloomer, at 1pm marks day 21 so I am very happy with this incubation.. If all but that last one hatches I will have a 99% hatchrate of those that made it to lockdown... I think I am figuring it out and hopefully will be ready when the Turkeys start laying in the spring... Although I have done this now because I have been able to sell the chicks I am really doing it to get what to do and not do because the turkeys are the money shot and I want to be able to hatch out every fertile egg
wee.gif

Update: 20 out, 6 more have piped, 5 are internally piped and 1 upon candling looks to be a late bloomer, at 1pm marks day 21 so I am very happy with this incubation.. If all but that last one hatches I will have a 99% hatchrate of those that made it to lockdown... I think I am figuring it out and hopefully will be ready when the Turkeys start laying in the spring... Although I have done this now because I have been able to sell the chicks I am really doing it to get what to do and not do because the turkeys are the money shot and I want to be able to hatch out every fertile egg
wee.gif

So much smarter than me!
I started with my turkey eggs this spring and managed to kill 82 of them before giving up and just letting Ethel do the work.

I am on day 15 I have a staggered hatch so I prepped my home made styrofoam incubator to hatch in. I have two thermometers/ hydrometers. One reads higher humidity and one reads higher temperature. They are not off by much and have settled with one at 100 and the other at 99. 65% humidity. The eggs are shipped so I may hatch in an egg carton in case any had detached air cells. I have had great fertility so far with these eggs. 36 shipped eggs, 2 clears, 4 quitters. Now I just need to get them out of the shells.

Back
Top Bottom