September Hatch-A-Long

I stole these eggs from a broody so I don't now exactly when she started laying on them but I think I am on day 17 or 18 so tonight with Hubby's help we will take but the egg turner and put the eggs on their sides and increase the humidity.

I heard chirping!! I heard chirping!!! So I was cleaning the coop out and my Broody was in her box giving me the evil eye when she all of a sudden got up and went outside. So I went to look at the eggs and was slightly discouraged (cause I'm impatient) that there was no pipping or anything. So I went about cleaning then twenty mins or so later my broody came back and was adjusting the eggs slightly to get them all under her and I heard it. A few little chirps. So excited!

Nothing has changed here, Ethel is still either setting on a nest or MIA. She has not been seen for 4-5 days this time.

SO I sit here and twiddle my thumbs and wait for her to bring me 27 late fall slate blue turkeys!

(My wife thinks I am overly optimistic about the number of eggs she is setting on. 27 seems realistic to me, that is a 90% hatch rate, compared to my 157% last time.)

Last edited:
3 eggs out of 8 pip so far... chirping away but good LORD! The first pip was @ 9am...it's almost 5pm, when are they going to zip? One egg's pip is just a TEENY TINY hole...no chirping. UGGGHHHHH!!!! I am trying to be patient... thanks for occupying me some..

3 eggs out of 8 pip so far... chirping away but good LORD! The first pip was @ 9am...it's almost 5pm, when are they going to zip? One egg's pip is just a TEENY TINY hole...no chirping. UGGGHHHHH!!!! I am trying to be patient... thanks for occupying me some..

I know what you mean! my egg (only one out of three) pipped this morning about 6:00 I hear chirping inside. I don't hear anything from the other eggs yet. It's 2 now and no zipping yet.... praying for you

First candling was last night (day 8). Out of the 32 Icelandic eggs in the incubator I pulled 5 with obvious blood rings. 14 definitely have developing chicks. I have 5 I think are clears and the rest I am not sure about.

Of the 6 from my black australorp pullet and EE roo only 1 is developing for sure. None had blood rings so I am waiting to be sure before pulling any of those.

I have never hatched before and was wonderstruck when I saw movement in several of the eggs. This definitely is just the first of many hatches for me.

I have a zipper! The chick that pipped had a good rest and now has zipped and is cheeping loudly. No noise at all from the other two eggs.

Back
Top Bottom