September Hatch-A-Long

I am sort of in the same boat. We started with 18 eggs and 6 are out so far, it's day 22. I have little hope for the other 4, BUT I did originally only want 6 eggs so I am happy. But only 1 chick is lavender so I may end up getting a few more in the spring.

How long should I wait to pull the chicks out? The last one hatched about 6 hours ago, I haven't seen any action from the other eggs so far. I know some people give them like 3 extra days.....I am sitting on my hands.

I would probably candle to see if there are any internal pips and if so, then make a tiny hole so that they don't run out of air. Check out the assisting guide on here. Honestly though, I have found if I wait days.... they are past the point of help. This is just my opinion.
smile.png

It is better to have incubation conditions so that the chicks can hatch on their own but if that wasn't possible, help may be necessary to get (more) live chicks.

Ethel was here!

She was in the yard this morning, she is looking tough but is still alive. She has no tail feathers to speak of left, just "bare stalks". The weather has been rough here, so I was worried about her.

She should have less than a week to go before she brings me the babies.
Go Ethel... I am cheering for you!! Can't wait to see baby turkeys!!

We have had storms on and off for the last 18 hours. The past few days have been violent rains here. I was worried about her. She is my favorite hen. (turkey) the one that comes to visit me regardless of which shed I am working in.

I awoke this morning to find one quite cold, but still alive, chick. I wish I had checked on them sooner, but I was so tired!! I put it in a warm washcloth and it is back under the heat lamp and looks like it is doing okay... I think it will live which is amazing considering how cold it was. I got it to drink a little vitamin water after it warmed up a bit. I still have two in the bator one out of it's shell now and one still absorbing some veins.... it looks good though just needs a little more time.

I divided the brooder into two sides... the bruisers and the nappers. I hope to get photos after MY nap today
wink.png
which I am about to take...

I'm up at Trader Joe's today doing my shopping and just happened to glance at the Fertile eggs. Rats. All at least 10 days old. Then I see a TJ's employee walking by. I don't know why as I'm going to have passel of chicks if my 30+ shipped eggs hatch, but -- dang -- maybe I could put a few in the bator for fun in the 10 or so empty spaces (as I've done before with mixed result) and so I just had to ask...

Me: "Excuse me. These look kind of old. Do you perhaps have anything fresher in the back?"

TJer: "Let me go see."

He returns with a whole case of eggs and they're Julian dated 244.... Today is 247.

SCORE!!!!

Three days old? That's fresher than my shipped eggs! And, for once, the shells look really dense and not porous. This could be interesting!

I'm up at Trader Joe's today doing my shopping and just happened to glance at the Fertile eggs.   Rats.  All at least 10 days old.   Then I see a TJ's employee walking by.  I don't know why as I'm going to have passel of chicks if my 30+ shipped eggs hatch, but -- dang -- maybe I could put a few in the bator for fun in the 10 or so empty spaces (as I've done before with mixed result) and so I just had to ask...

Me:  "Excuse me.  These look kind of old.  Do you perhaps have anything fresher in the back?"

TJer:  "Let me go see."

He returns with a whole case of eggs and they're Julian dated 244.... Today is 247.

SCORE!!!!

Three days old?   That's fresher than my shipped eggs!   And, for once, the shells look really dense and not porous.  This could be interesting!  

Good luck.

I'm up at Trader Joe's today doing my shopping and just happened to glance at the Fertile eggs. Rats. All at least 10 days old. Then I see a TJ's employee walking by. I don't know why as I'm going to have passel of chicks if my 30+ shipped eggs hatch, but -- dang -- maybe I could put a few in the bator for fun in the 10 or so empty spaces (as I've done before with mixed result) and so I just had to ask...

Me: "Excuse me. These look kind of old. Do you perhaps have anything fresher in the back?"

TJer: "Let me go see."

SCORE!!!!

Three days old? That's fresher than my shipped eggs! And, for once, the shells look really dense and not porous. This could be interesting!

You know, I may be heading to TJ's after these babies hatch...lol... I got 5 in there now from my own flock that had been the fridge for 3 days and they are doing great!

So after candling results were not up to the wife's satisfaction we take her stethoscope out and listen to the eggs. Eight out of nine have definitely got live ducks in them with six days to go.

I'm glad I picked the TJ's up as it seems my Welsummers are lost in transition. A shipping number was generated, but there's not any indication it has been through any postal facility or is in transit. (Other eggs are on their way...and I got my Wheaten Marans this morning)

The Wheaten Marans eggs are a bit of a puzzle as several of them do not have a pointy v. rounded end...both ends are identical! And to make matters more complicated, the eggs are EXTREMELY dark and you cannot see into them via candling where the air cell is.

Oh, wait. I know.... I'll float them!

Back
Top Bottom