September Hatch-A-Long

Each incubator has it's own personality and foibles. I thought mine was a steady one, but then I got exuberant misting and some water got up by the wafer and switch and I had some zooming temps. Lesson learned. Still had a hatch, but wondered if that was the cause of the late quitters.

Consider anything you learn from your incubating experiences to be educational.

Setting 3 doz eggs tomorrow, provided I don't drop any between hither and yon. 1 doz TJ's, 7 CCL, 10 wheaten marans and 7 EE (ccl x rir). They're all getting their air cells settled and up to room temp.

wee.gif
LOVE incubating and hatching!

Setting 3 doz eggs tomorrow, provided I don't drop any between hither and yon.  1 doz TJ's, 7 CCL, 10 wheaten marans and 7 EE (ccl x rir).   They're all getting their air cells settled and up to room temp.

:weee   LOVE incubating and hatching!

Your enthusiasm is contagious. You're setting 3 doz and I just set 3!! I'm excited, too, lol. :highfive:

I finally tossed all but one of the Legbar eggs - wishful thinking trying to incubate dirty eBay eggs!
somad.gif
Most of them had blood rings anyways.
The good news is I'm back in the game!!!
wee.gif

Ameraucanas and the one clean Legbar egg were moving on Day 17!!! Can't really tell about the Maran eggs though. Put the incubator on lockdown and am sitting on my hands. Tomorrow is Day 19 and I am already going crazy worrying if the little chicks will hatch. Don't think I'm going to sleep much the next few days.

Also, I somehow ordered more hatching eggs to troubleshoot my incubator. If all goes well, they should hatch on 9/30. Do not know how I'm going to hide all these chickens from the family.
hide.gif

Can someone tell me,, does a water heater thermometer hold the temps fairly tight? I am thinking of building a new incubator, I do not like the "knob/temperature control on the one I bought, I feel like it is way too sensitive, a minute turn changes the temp by degrees....

I am using my home built incubator with water heater thermostat, two light bulbs as the heat source, and computer fans to circulate air. I hold steady at 100. Trick is to drill holes in the thermostat and have it close to one of the light bulbs to sense the radiant heat. I'll try to post pics if you'd like but have to work in a little bit.[/QUOTE]

I made two incubators and use this thermostat...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/10A-110V-Di...758?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19ebf67fe6

I love it! I set the temp digitally and it holds within one degree. I don't even have to think about temp during incubation. I did find that I had to set the temp by my thermometer in the bator and not just the digital read, if that makes sense.

I made two incubators and use this thermostat...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/10A-110V-Di...758?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19ebf67fe6

I love it! I set the temp digitally and it holds within one degree. I don't even have to think about temp during incubation. I did find that I had to set the temp by my thermometer in the bator and not just the digital read, if that makes sense.

Your thermostat looks like it does a great job for the money. Might have to keep it in mind.

I have been using this controller leftover from my homebrewing days: http://www.ebay.com/itm/RANCO-ETC-1...394?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item58b0147792.

Well, I unexpectedly won an auction for some more Barnevelder hatching eggs. They came in on Friday.... letting them rest a day or two and then I guess I will be setting them this weekend. My last hatch of my Blue DL Barnies was only 3 chicks outta 9... I don't have high hopes for this hatch as they took 4 days to get to me but... here's hoping!
fl.gif

Back
Top Bottom