September Hatch-A-Long

I have HUGE news!

We are on Day 20, and there has been no chirping, no movement of the eggs, nothing.... I was 110% convinced all my eggs were dead, especially since there is a death-like smell in the nest, and we had two rotten eggs explode over EVERYTHING on Day 14, including the other eggs and my Broody Hen.

Anyway, I went into the coop this morning and it was dead quiet.   I fed everyone and watered them, and then decided (against all my better judgement) to just have a quick look under Broody and see if anything was happening......

As I lifted her front end up gently, I was met with the beautiful face of a little baby chickie!   :weee

I have no idea if 'he' is a boy or a girl, but 'he' was obviously born overnight because 'he' has had time to dry off and fluff up.  I am going to call 'him' Peepers, for now! 

'He' is just so darn cute I want to eat him up!     :love

So, for anyone who thinks no movement and no chirping = no chicks - have hope.    Peepers is a miracle chickie.  There are 6 other eggs under my Broody so I will watch and keep my fingers crossed he/she gets someone to play with too.

I am so happy, especially for my dear Broody who has worked so hard.

- Krista

Fantastic - congratulations!

Just an update, 6 healthy happy babies hatched! 3 Cornish X, from my spring chickens (Cornish x that I let mature) , 2 RIR and 1 buff orpington X RIR

How do I upload pictures from a cellphone?

Set my 3 dozen eggs this morning. The four girls (well 3 RSL's and one OE who we've named Pat because we just don't know) have hit their one-week birthday (hatchday?) and they are just little piggies at the trough. They had their first go at some tomato bits which, at first, they were terrified off. They're gone (the bits, that is) so I'll presume the girls are expanding their repertoire of things edible. (I know, like I should be worried right now; right? They're chickens and soon will destroy all foodstuffs)

The incubator is holding steady as the eggs are warming therein. If all goes according to the 21-day plan, hatching will be happening on my nephew's birthday. I may have to ask him which one he wants named after him!

gratz  to the winners and their birds!!!

Thanks! Just wanted to say I did what you were talking about with the Cornish X's. I kept them inside in a box for 2 weeks, then outside pen for another 3, then I let them out, 95% free range and only fed them one scoop of food a day. They are still thriving and I haven't lost one(2 we did eat) but they are healthy, huge but thriving and producing more eggs, double yolkers too, then my RIR and buff Orpingtons! They are now 6 months old and those pics are their babies.

At 13 days I candled and have 14 of the 32 shipped Icelandic eggs with movement. 5 of the 6 from my black australorp have movement.

I lost one Icelandic egg today. I came home for lunch and my 11 year old son was on the verge of tears. He had tried candling an egg and it slipped out of his hand onto the floor. I told him accidents happen sometimes and he will learn to be more careful. He is ok now, but was really mad at himself. He was back to playing with the chickens this evening so I think he will get over it soon.

Now I am eagerly awaiting lockdown. Just 5 days to go!

Back
Top Bottom