September Hatch-A-Long

Ok all!! I need some reassurance! I left my shipped eggs standing in egg carton this time and this is day 19 and just happen to see one is pipped but it was more in the middle and toward the back where the egg carton was touching. I hate when I don't know what is right and wrong. I went ahead and real quick turned the egg so the pip is more toward the front and has a little room.. the chick is peeping so its alive. Do I just not worry about them and they will get out even with the confinement of the carton?? I just am so worried now that I won't be able to see the pips if they are in the wrong area. All the air cells were great this time. Dry incubating was perfect for me this batch but just not sure what is the right thing to do when the pip in the wrong spot and the egg is in the carton. Really hate opening incubator!! So far my humidity and temp have been perfect since lockdown, staying at 77 H/ 99 T. Please let me know what you do and feel is the right thing to do and watch for
fl.gif
Thank you!

Ok all!! I need some reassurance! I left my shipped eggs standing in egg carton this time and this is day 19 and just happen to see one is pipped but it was more in the middle and toward the back where the egg carton was touching. I hate when I don't know what is right and wrong. I went ahead and real quick turned the egg so the pip is more toward the front and has a little room.. the chick is peeping so its alive. Do I just not worry about them and they will get out even with the confinement of the carton?? I just am so worried now that I won't be able to see the pips if they are in the wrong area. All the air cells were great this time. Dry incubating was perfect for me this batch but just not sure what is the right thing to do when the pip in the wrong spot and the egg is in the carton. Really hate opening incubator!! So far my humidity and temp have been perfect since lockdown, staying at 77 H/ 99 T. Please let me know what you do and feel is the right thing to do and watch for
fl.gif
Thank you!

That is the hardest thing about hatching eggs upright! With my recent batch of eggs, though they were on their sides, I had several pips mid egg or on the wrong end and a couple pipped on the spot they were laying on! Fortunately with the dry incubating there wasn't excess fluid so the chicks didn't drown, which was pretty amazing!

I know people say a thousand times not to open the bator but honestly I think that just freaks people out unnecessarily. Those non air cell pips come before any other pips anyway so I move the egg to make sure the pip is on top. They need at least another 24 hours to absorb after that before they can be helped out... usually about the time other eggs are zipping.

You may have more miss pips...you could check before you have any air cell external pips... shipped eggs are likely to have malpositions but they likely won't drown because you dry incubated. Just try to keep an eye on them and if there are eggs that seem to not be doing anything when others are hatching you can check them for pips in odd places.

I personally do not have a problem with helping chicks out... incubation is an unnatural simulation and when things are slightly off it can be hard for chicks to get out, I don't find them to be unhealthy or weak in any way... that happens when you wait days to help them.
Disclaimer... this is just my opinion!

fl.gif
Thank you!

That is the hardest thing about hatching eggs upright! With my recent batch of eggs, though they were on their sides, I had several pips mid egg or on the wrong end and a couple pipped on the spot they were laying on! Fortunately with the dry incubating there wasn't excess fluid so the chicks didn't drown, which was pretty amazing!

I know people say a thousand times not to open the bator but honestly I think that just freaks people out unnecessarily. Those non air cell pips come before any other pips anyway so I move the egg to make sure the pip is on top. They need at least another 24 hours to absorb after that before they can be helped out... usually about the time other eggs are zipping.

You may have more miss pips...you could check before you have any air cell external pips... shipped eggs are likely to have malpositions but they likely won't drown because you dry incubated. Just try to keep an eye on them and if there are eggs that seem to not be doing anything when others are hatching you can check them for pips in odd places.

I personally do not have a problem with helping chicks out... incubation is an unnatural simulation and when things are slightly off it can be hard for chicks to get out, I don't find them to be unhealthy or weak in any way... that happens when you wait days to help them.

Thank you soooo much!! It makes me feel much better but so nervous and worried that I won't see the pip. All 14 were alive and good on lockdown now to just get them to hatch!! I do feel better about them not drowning since the dry incubating seems to have done so good this time but just going to try my best to keep them where they can get out. I do have to say I have done much better with my humidity now at lockdown so I think I will have better luck maybe keeping up even if I need to move an egg. I have been pretty relaxed this time but boy O boy does this part stress me...lol Thank you again for your knowledge and support!

I wouldn't worry so much about the pips in the cartons. Remember, the zip goes all the way around the egg and then the chick pushes out the top....not the side. So a pip barely down where you cannot see it is pretty inconsequential.

I usually cut the sides down on my cartons and trim away as much cardboard as possible.

If you do go into the incubator during lock down, carry a spray bottle and immediately spritz upon opening the top. I've found that way there is very little humidity loss.

I wouldn't worry so much about the pips in the cartons. Remember, the zip goes all the way around the egg and then the chick pushes out the top....not the side. So a pip barely down where you cannot see it is pretty inconsequential.

I usually cut the sides down on my cartons and trim away as much cardboard as possible.
Thanks! I wasn't thinking when I did the cartons, I only remembered that some cut out the bottom in case they pip the bottom. This is only my second hatch, and the first one a laid the eggs down. I'm quite certain I will learn something new with every hatch!!! Maybe most won't give my stress and pip where I can see them...lol So far I have 2 pips!! The second one is very much toward the top so I can see it good and the first one is doing just fine!! Being new at this I just panic the thought that I would be the cause of them dying. The first hatch I had my humidity to high and then laying them down along with malpositions I lost 5 that were alive and rocking eggs on hatch day but never got out. I did hatch 4 but I'm still learning!
jumpy.gif

Back
Top Bottom