September Hatch-A-Long

Ethel does not like chickens either. She will run off every chicken she sees if it is close to her food. BUT she allows her "turkens" (the chicks she raised) to eat right next to her. For some reason she does not know her babies were/are chickens.....I am waiting to see if she still likes the "turkens" now that she has natural born babies of her own.

Turkens...
lau.gif
I imagined a bunch of little naked neck chickens or something funny like that. She just knows they are her babies and that is all that matters.
love.gif

Hi everyone!! I'm still working with 4 of my chicks. I posted in another thread but not sure if anyone is answering in it anymore. What has anyone learned from sticky chicks?? I remember I had one last hatch and my chicks didn't seem to fluff quickly. This hatch has been awful. My 4 blues are pretty good, had a 2 with some dried hard spots but are in the brooder and look good. My BLR's are just terrible. I made sure yesterday and anytime I help a chick out, I clean them up before leaving them. I woke up this morning and they are sooo sticky I had to wash them and towel them and put back in the bator. 2 chicks I think if they fluff will come out and go to brooder. 1 chick I saw has a curled foot and will have to tape it and the other chick I'm not sure will make it. The chick that I don't think will live can't get its neck right and is just flopping on its side. Anyways all the chicks are so much smaller this hatch, I'm guessing the humidity difference. I don't know anything much about the blues but I'm hoping that I have one or two black! I is for sure blue and 1 is splash. I will take pictures soon. Good luck to all!!
Several years ago I had a chick with wry neck, (I think that's what it's called) Someone on BYC suggested a product called Sav-A-Chick. http://www.savachick.com/product.php?p=125
I think a packet makes a whole gallon or something, I just used a small amount of a packet dissolved into a cup of water, changing the water a couple of times a day for a week or so, and she got better. If you don't have save-a-chick, try some diluted gatorade or pedialyte, maybe with a drop of infant vitamins w/o iron.

Several years ago I had a chick with wry neck, (I think that's what it's called) Someone on BYC suggested a product called Sav-A-Chick. http://www.savachick.com/product.php?p=125
I think a packet makes a whole gallon or something, I just used a small amount of a packet dissolved into a cup of water, changing the water a couple of times a day for a week or so, and she got better. If you don't have save-a-chick, try some diluted gatorade or pedialyte, maybe with a drop of infant vitamins w/o iron.
Thank you!! I did give both of my chicks that now just seem to have maybe leg problems, the vita sol...not sure of the spelling...lol I just didn;t know what the dosage. I will research it tomorrow. The chick with the neck problem seems much better with its neck. I held it for quite awhile and had some other vitamin stuff I will have to look at the bag for the name, can't remember. The 2 chicks now just can't walk the flop. the neck chick has perfect feet, the other chick had a foot that was curled. Taped the curled foot and vet wrapped both chicks legs together hoping that will help and tried to leave them wrapped in a rolled up towel so they would be more upright. Had to put them back in bator since I didn't want the others to pick on them while I'm sleeping. More tomorrow :)

I thought sticky chicks came from humidity being too high during lockdown
hu.gif
I have been doing lockdown around 55 but sometimes it dips a little below that. I saw someone on here who did lockdown at 80% and their babies were practically covered in glue.
Well maybe it is and I should have not raised it so much. That was my mistake I thought it had to be around 70. Learn all the time! Always next time but just don;t want to mess up anymore chicks, not fair to them. Thank you! Off to bed :)

We set four under our broody three weeks ago. Her first time and ours too, so I didn't want to overwhelm her or us. 1 hatched 9/8, 2 on 9/9 (21 days), 1 on 9/10. Today, all are up and around and watching their "mama" scratch in the sand in their fenced part of the hen house. and running to what she shows them. Eating and drinking from the baby feeders. Mesmerizing! If we knew it was going to go so well, we would have doubled her clutch.

Last night on day 11 I candled our eggs out of 38 we had 10 clears, 7 questionable, and 21 developing 1 of the 21 "good eggs" we could clealy see two little legs kicking! Even the teenagers were excited! Kinda wondering if this egg is farther along than the others,( it came from a friend and not from my chickens)or is it because its a white egg and I can actually see into it better?
I moved the questionables to a row a row of their own in case they get weird. I'm still new to the candleing /incubating thing so I didn't want to toss any potentials. I did toss the clears thou DH broke each one out of curiosity an he said they were not fertile. So as least I was right about that much!

Hi everyone! I'm new to the site and the world of chickens, started the adventure back in April. So far I have done well. I decided to hatch a few eggs on my own in a homemade incubator because I have Leghorns and Rhode Island Reds...I had purchased a silkie hoping for a broody hen but instead it turned out to be a roo. Also have acquired 3 game hens but they are still to young. Anyways, I started with 15 eggs..13 days ago and have lost three so far...one was double yolk by mistake. I have read and read trying to be prepared for every scenario but still find it nerve wracking. I candled yesterday all seems well with remaining eggs. It has basically become an obsession!

Hi everyone! I'm new to the site and the world of chickens, started the adventure back in April. So far I have done well. I decided to hatch a few eggs on my own in a homemade incubator because I have Leghorns and Rhode Island Reds...I had purchased a silkie hoping for a broody hen but instead it turned out to be a roo. Also have acquired 3 game hens but they are still to young. Anyways, I started with 15 eggs..13 days ago and have lost three so far...one was double yolk by mistake. I have read and read trying to be prepared for every scenario but still find it nerve wracking. I candled yesterday all seems well with remaining eggs. It has basically become an obsession!
Good luck with your remaining eggs! I hope it all goes well.
Oh, and of course! Welcome to BYC!
welcome-byc.gif

I'm in too!
I bought 10 eggs from a lady on Ebay, I asked her what breed they were (so that if I need to sell any I'm not keeping, I know what to advertise them as)
Her reply was,

'I HAVE OVER 300 CHICKENS of which I have 30 DIFFERENT BREEDS AND THEY VARY IN LARGE FOWL, BANTAM and all the colours, as well as 30 DIFFERENT COLOURS OF PEKIN'

I'M SO EXCITED! All the eggs are different colours, shapes and sizes and I have one blue egg.
They're in my incubator now and due on the 24th!

All my hens were killed recently whilst I was away, and my housemates forgot to shut the coop door.
They were all my babies and so so tame and affectionate. I didn't think I'd have the energy to do it all again, turns out I do, and thinking about it, it didn't take me long to convince myself :)

Good luck guys!

I gave my weak chick some vitasol last night and he hated it. He shook his head and started throwing himself around the brooder trying to get it out of his mouth

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom