September Hatch-A-Long

2 pips last night. 2 more this morning, so 4/8 have pips, and a couple have moved.

OOOoo, exciting! I have two external pips tonight and perhaps? the beginning of a zip! All the others seem to be quietly contemplating life inside an egg - in no hurry to find out what's on the other side
jumpy.gif

OOOoo, exciting! I have two external pips tonight and perhaps? the beginning of a zip! All the others seem to be quietly contemplating life inside an egg - in no hurry to find out what's on the other side
jumpy.gif

LOL.. They all seem to wait until that first one hatches, there may be a pause but then sometimes its like popcorn... Funny, I always get the best hatches during the nighttime when the house is quiet and everyone is sleeping..
wink.png

Hey all, I'm a late joiner to this hatch a long. ....my 5yo has labelled me the duck killer from the previous hatch

Welcome to the Hatch-along

Oh, dear... No good deed goes unpunished, eh? Hopefully you'll have some fuzzy little quackers from this hatch to make the memories of previous attempts vanish. Just remember, no hatch it seems is without drama! Good luck on your survivor eggs!

Your late Icelandic may have been a sticky chick, not shrinkwrapped. Sticky chick is the result of too much humidity, not too little.

After seeing your post and doing some research on it I think this problem might have been from a larger than usual air cell on a few of the shipped eggs I got. Looking at everything that happened I think the chick exhausted itself getting through the membrane and then the shell. It might have just not had the energy to do any more.

Parts of the membrane were almost as hard as the shell, leading me to think it hardened quite a bit well before pipping. Some posts I found indicated they had that problem with shipped eggs that might have sat around too long before shipping. I will have to watch my air cells more closely. At this time I don't think the humidity was too high as no other eggs had any trouble like that and my late quitter had an abnormally large air cell. Hopefully more experience will help with the next hatch.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom