September Hatch-A-Long

Mine due to hatch tomorrow night!!!!!! OH MY GOD OH MY GOD!
I keep finding myself sitting by the incubator and 'waiting' I eat my breakfast next to them in the mornings...
Brooder all clean and looking good for the babies.
I usually put them straight from the incubator into what I call my prima brooder, which consists of a plastic crate with a blanket, ceramic tiles on the sides and the bottom, and a heat lamp (and eventually a little bowl of food and a drinker).
Then when they're a week and a half/two week old, I move them to CHICKVILLE for more space to run and chase each other. I put some dried flowers and lavender from my back garden in there in an attempt to keep it smelling fresh...

CHICKVILLE!

Second hatch of the month completed - tried dry incubaton on my quail eggs this time. (Forgot to add water until the 4th day so I just went with dry method to see what would happen.) 118 eggs set, about 85 made it to lockdown, 25 hatched. Not nearly as good as my hatch on Sept. 1 (75/120).

Hatching is finally over

Started with 12 - 2 quit early on.
10 went into lock down - 10 hatched.

Last 3 I had to assist after no progression.

Hatching started Saturday day 21 and I finished assisting on day 23. They were stuck and glued in shell. Those few are week but seem ok.

Here's one of the first to hatch.

I am on day 20 and I have a pip! I hope to get at least 2 chicks out of the deal! We will see what happens!

how long do i leave my chick in the incubator? he fully hatched this morning between 7-10. he is only one that hatched out. its only day 20. im afraid to put him in the brooder without anyone to huddle with if he gets cold.He is pecking the other eggs so not sure if we have a pip in one of eggs or if he caused one of the crc=acks, its below the air cell so i did peel the shell away just incase and was greeted with membrane. I have the humidity up to about 65-70 right now.

Hi everyone!! Hope all hatchings are going good!! I was wondering for some input on a rooster question. What are everyones thoughts on whether or not to have 2 roosters in a coop/run. I have 9 laying hens and will have more in a few months. I have 2 really nice roosters, one is a 5 month new hampshire red and the 2nd is a 6 month rhode island red. My RIR is a big baby and the hens have him so scared he isn't coming out of the coop but then again its only been 10 days. I just got the new hampshire red and he is huge, not sure of his demeanor. My hens are RIR, barred rocks and 2 silver wyandottes. Does anyone think I would be able to keep both roosters or is it a bad idea?? If I should get rid of one, which one do you think is a better breed to go with the hens? Thank you for any input! Happy hatching!

how long do i leave my chick in the incubator? he fully hatched this morning between 7-10. he is only one that hatched out. its only day 20. im afraid to put him in the brooder without anyone to huddle with if he gets cold.He is pecking the other eggs so not sure if we have a pip in one of eggs or if he caused one of the crc=acks, its below the air cell so i did peel the shell away just incase and was greeted with membrane. I have the humidity up to about 65-70 right now.
I left mine in as long as 24hrs. I've bee told that the ruccus a newly hatched chick makes will encourage the next chicks to hatch. The little fluffbutt will be fine without feed and water for 48hrs at least, and he wont be able to damage the chicks, even if he cracks their shells.

I have a question for the more experienced hatchers. I started with 8 eggs, currently have five still in the incubator at day 16. One of the eggs I have not seen any movement for two days and cannot see any veins. When the egg is rotated it looks like a hazy cloud moving inside. There is a dark spot, which I assume is the chick. The air cell is getting bigger and there is no smell.

Would you pull that egg?

Back
Top Bottom