September Hatch-A-Long

Hatching is finally over

Started with 12 - 2 quit early on.
10 went into lock down - 10 hatched.

Last 3 I had to assist after no progression.

Hatching started Saturday day 21 and I finished assisting on day 23. They were stuck and glued in shell. Those few are week but seem ok.

Here's one of the first to hatch.

Congrats! What is the breed? Adorable!

I left mine in as long as 24hrs. I've bee told that the ruccus a newly hatched chick makes will encourage the next chicks to hatch. The little fluffbutt will be fine without feed and water for 48hrs at least, and he wont be able to damage the chicks, even if he cracks their shells.
I left mine a little over 24 hrs..I had 11 babies running around and I really think it helped the slow hatchers along. The only two that didnt hatch were never going to anyway. I watched them a lot considering this was my first hatch and I swear I saw the oldest ones helping out. Of course it could have been deliriousness on my part from lack of sleep.

Last edited:
I have a question for the more experienced hatchers. I started with 8 eggs, currently have five still in the incubator at day 16. One of the eggs I have not seen any movement for two days and cannot see any veins. When the egg is rotated it looks like a hazy cloud moving inside. There is a dark spot, which I assume is the chick. The air cell is getting bigger and there is no smell.

Would you pull that egg?

I wouldn't take it out. I had an egg I thought quit around day 12 but left it in to the end. It didn't hatch, but no harm hoping

Day 13. I have 20 healthy active eggs. I had to candle them to make sure. I just couldn't wait. I have been on pins and needles worried that I wasn't doing something right. Everything looks good and air pockets are growing. :celebrate

So I just put 12 eggs in the incubator. This will be my very first hatch. 4 serama frizzle eggs, and 8 Cochin frizzle eggs. Hopefully I'll get at least a few frizzled hens out of it! I'm wondering what method to use as far as humidity goes. I've read about the standard and dry method and wanted to know what has worked best for you? The woman I got the eggs fromkeeps her hhumidity at around 25% until day 18... Help! Not sure which way to go!

I would take the breeders advice... she likely knows her own eggs! I just hatched a bunch of Seramas this month... all dry hatches!

Good luck!

She kept her humidity around 25%, I can't even get mine below 45%... I do have the incubator in the same room as my chicks which is pretty warm. Should I move it to a different room, or is 45% OK? I have the first hatch jitters!

Day 22 began 90 minutes ago and still nothing
1f629.png
where did i go wrong? Still hoping but gettig worried.
. Don't give up I had 3 hatch late on day 22 two more on 23 and almost to day 24 with one pip....three nothing going on yet!

ok I need advice I have a chick who has pipped kind of midways on egg but closer to the small end I don't know when it pipped I only noticed when my chicks rolled the egg I thought it had died inside but watched it fir awhile and saw movement around pip area. its been since yesterday evening should I give it till this evening then help it? I had to help one out yesterday its head was under its wing and it wad having trouble. It worried me cause it was all gooey but no bleeding, although its little belly was almost black from absorbing blood from vessels but it was very strong upon arrival. This morning it was up and moving around and chirping loudly :)

Back
Top Bottom