September Hatch-A-Long

Awh man I'm sorry to hear that. Good news about the Silkies though
smile.png
and this whole egg hatching thing is so addictive, I don't know why I do it to myself! I forget to eat, drink water, I pace backwards and forwards and tell all my friends (most of which sort've roll their eyes, BUT when they see them they always melt)

You know what I have noticed, I'm very sensitive to high pitch noises now, even the slightest high pitch squeak of a spring in a bed, or a sparrow half a mile away....I love making the babies!

Good luck with the rest, what have you called your early hatcher?

Oh I think I got on everyone nerves talking about the eggs progression LOL! it is so addicting!
Since he is only one who made it and is lucky he wasn't in the incubator we've named him Lucky

It was because I had them in my homemade incubator, someone bumped the thermostat I think. So we are using one borrowed from a friend for the silkie eggs. I hope they both hatch. Our of 8 set only 2 are developing. I'll be happy if one hatches, Lucky needs a friend!

Oh I think I got on everyone nerves talking about the eggs progression LOL! it is so addicting!
Since he is only one who made it and is lucky he wasn't in the incubator we've named him Lucky

It was because I had them in my homemade incubator, someone bumped the thermostat I think. So we are using one borrowed from a friend for the silkie eggs. I hope they both hatch. Our of 8 set only 2 are developing. I'll be happy if one hatches, Lucky needs a friend!

Awesome :) mine are hatching as we speak, only got one out so far, rest rocking and pipping.
It's 10:15pm here and I need to go to sleep...but will probably get up in the early hours to check.
The one that has hatched I have named Max, I think we imprinted, he loves my hand and tries to climb on when I put it in! Here he is when he first came out. I left him in the 'bat or for a couple hours but moved him the the heat lamp because he was going crazy knocking the other eggs.

9 more eggs to go

Awesome
smile.png
mine are hatching as we speak, only got one out so far, rest rocking and pipping.
It's 10:15pm here and I need to go to sleep...but will probably get up in the early hours to check.
The one that has hatched I have named Max, I think we imprinted, he loves my hand and tries to climb on when I put it in! Here he is when he first came out. I left him in the 'bat or for a couple hours but moved him the the heat lamp because he was going crazy knocking the other eggs.

9 more eggs to go

love.gif
So cute! What breed?
When Lucky piped I stayed up until 7am, got up at 10am to see him fully hatched. When I went to put at 7 he was almost out, had the top half of the egg off. I hope the rest hatch for you!

I set my eggs on 9-6 at 3 pm so tomorrow at 3 pm would be lock down, right? The last couple of days I have noticed the humidity (doing a dry hatch) is steadily going up. It has been rock steady at 30% the entire time.. Then I noticed it went up to 32%, then yesterday it went up to 35%. We just had a storm come in and it started to rain last night. I know it could be the rain but would the humidity change before the storm got here?

Second question (yes I have done ton of researching and searching on here) my temp has been 101 for the most part the entire time. I have a LG 9200 still air incubator. At lock down I don't lower the temp but do up the humidity to 60%, right?

I set my eggs on 9-6 at 3 pm so tomorrow at 3 pm would be lock down, right? The last couple of days I have noticed the humidity (doing a dry hatch) is steadily going up. It has been rock steady at 30% the entire time.. Then I noticed it went up to 32%, then yesterday it went up to 35%. We just had a storm come in and it started to rain last night. I know it could be the rain but would the humidity change before the storm got here?

Second question (yes I have done ton of researching and searching on here) my temp has been 101 for the most part the entire time. I have a LG 9200 still air incubator. At lock down I don't lower the temp but do up the humidity to 60%, right?
I've heard 45% for dry hatches but having not done one myself, I'm probably not the person to take advice from. I do know that humidity rises drastically as chicks hatch, so you don't want to raise it too much.

I do dry hatches and raise my humidity up to 50% once the first pip i raise to 60% good luck! I start lock down at end up day 18, so end up tomorrow. although i do ot turn day 18, i do the last candling and work on raising humidity. My humidity is usually 16%-15% furing first 18 days.

Last edited:
I have a question for the more experienced hatchers. I started with 8 eggs, currently have five still in the incubator at day 16. One of the eggs I have not seen any movement for two days and cannot see any veins. When the egg is rotated it looks like a hazy cloud moving inside. There is a dark spot, which I assume is the chick. The air cell is getting bigger and there is no smell.

Would you pull that egg?

Rainier, please be careful. I had the same exact situation but with an egg with a detached air cell. I thought I couldn't see movement or vessels because of the DAC and color of the egg. The egg got darker similar to the rest but exploded in the incubator on day 16. IMO, If you think you have enough other eggs growing normally and you still don't see anything, I would pull the egg. I wish you good luck whichever way you decide. Keep us posted.

Rainier, please be careful. I had the same exact situation but with an egg with a detached air cell. I thought I couldn't see movement or vessels because of the DAC and color of the egg. The egg got darker similar to the rest but exploded in the incubator on day 16. IMO, If you think you have enough other eggs growing normally and you still don't see anything, I would pull the egg. I wish you good luck whichever way you decide. Keep us posted.

I will candle that egg before we get to lock down and if I still cannot see any movement I will pull it. It just looks so different from the other eggs (inside) that I really don't think the chick is still viable but don't want to pull and kill it if it is still alive.

This is my very first time hatching eggs and I only put in eight and still have five in there. The one that I think quit and the other four. The other four I can clearly see the veins and movement. I actually got some really good pictures and video.

As soon as these ones hatch I have more to put in. So I'll clean and sterilize the incubator, let it run for a day and then put the new eggs in.

ETA
My daughter and I both candled the egg and agreed it just didn't "look" right. We broke it open and it had quit on day 10 or so. It didn't smell and the yolk was still yellow. Candled today and I think there is another one that quit but it was moving yesterday so not going to pull it.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom