September Hatch-A-Long

My incubator is an ancient Miller (now known as LG). In the bottom are Styrofoam gullies. Keeping one gully full gets you to about 50% humidity; 2 full gets about 70%. In Las Vegas I had to use the third (middle) gully as it was close to single-digit humidity in the air and really hard to keep the levels steady.

My 2 remaining eggs are on day 19. I did a quick candling when I got home from work. (I don't strictly enforce a lock-down, I never saw a broody that did. ;) )

Smaller egg: The chick is pretty much fills the egg, (except for the air cell) but it has not pipped internally yet.
Larger egg: There is still some room to grow, but the chick seems very active. I'm hopefully optimistic.... and nervous, because I think "she" should be bigger than she is.

I just added another jar of water with a sponge, trying to boost that humidity up.

We'll see if anything happens by Sunday!

Our chick Lucky, the only one who made it. She is 5 days old now :) She looks just like an SS chick except she is more red. She is a Speckled Sussex/ Red Sexlink.

She will have a few Silkie friends in a week :)

I have a questions about keeping the humidity up during lockdown. I know the humidity needs to be between 60% & 70%. I will be trying for 65%.
I see some use a sponge to help bring the humidity up and I've noticed that I've had to keep adding water a lot over the past few weeks. So what does everyone do to add water during lockdown?

I have seen several threads where people have used aquarium tubing that is threaded through a hole to the outside of the incubator and then water is poured down into the water container/area/sponge when water needs to be added via the tubing. I did not do that this time but plan to in the future.

Last edited:
Day 20: The first one hatched early and .... It's a GIRL!!!!!
wee.gif

AND it's the lone Easter Egger (CCL x RIR) egg.

I popped in this afternoon to do a humidity check and saw that a CCL egg had pipped and was making noise. I had to go run some errands and when I got back (about 3 hours later) the CCL egg was still pipped, but there was this chipmunky one banging about the incubator. (over-achiever hadn't even pipped when I left)

I think you forgot to mention her name on this thread!

I know all the little chicks are precious and I thank you all for posting the pictures for us to see.... BUT the name on this one makes her so much more precious, and by looking at her, I can see her looks scream out her name.

Check out my incredibly chunky chick!
So so fluffy, really dense down.

Does anyone know of breeds with dense down like this? I'm trying to work out what he/she is.
Very broad chest and wide set.

The possibilities of purebred mixes are:

Silkie - all colours
Orpington - all colours
Welsummer
Speckled sussex
Black rock
Copper maran
Cuckoo maran
Buff sussex
Light sussex
Light brahma
Faverolles
Cream legbar
Brown layer
Pekin bantam

If anyone has any thoughts on sex that would be great too, but I know it's pretty much impossible at this stage :/

I think you forgot to mention her name on this thread!

I know all the little chicks are precious and I thank you all for posting the pictures for us to see.... BUT the name on this one makes her so much more precious, and by looking at her, I can see her looks scream out her name.

Guess what? Her name is....... Ethel!

Back
Top Bottom