September Hatch-A-Long

Yes, I do admit, I'm one that has a hard time keeping my hands off.
hide.gif

I'm on day 20. I only have 2 eggs left.
I did a quick candling. The chick in the smaller egg has pipped internally.
wee.gif

The chick in the larger egg is still very active, but has room to grow... so I don't think (s)he will be pipping internally for a few more days.
I'm just hoping that they both make it .
fl.gif

Yes, I do admit, I'm one that has a hard time keeping my hands off.
hide.gif

I'm on day 20. I only have 2 eggs left.
I did a quick candling. The chick in the smaller egg has pipped internally.
wee.gif

The chick in the larger egg is still very active, but has room to grow... so I don't think (s)he will be pipping internally for a few more days.
I'm just hoping that they both make it .
fl.gif

I thought if you opened the incubator after lock down it was a death sentence (for the most part). I had no idea that you could do a quick candle
th.gif

Hi! I haven't been posting in this hatch a long because this has been my first experience with hatching chicks but since everything is going so well I had to share with people that would appreciate it! I've got a pretty mixed flock 1 half banty rooster (he is in Heaven), 2 half banty hens (they were my first chickens and I was hooked)
love.gif
, 3 ameraucana hens (rescued), 2 leghorn hens, 2 barred rock hen, and 1 rhode island red. The last 5 of my crew I raised since they were chicks. Seriously chickens just multiply out of no where!
big_smile.png
Well anyway, my banties have always been broody but I would always break them of it for one reason or another. I finally decided to let one of them set on some eggs since the weather has turned a bit cooler here and I'm so glad that I did! She's been sitting on 9 eggs and they started hatching last night! It's been so much fun watching all this go down!
yippiechickie.gif
So far we have 2 leghorns, 1 ameraucana, 2 banties! We've got 1 more banty, 1 more Ameraucan, and 1 more leghorn on the way! I candled the last leghorn egg because I didn't' see it trying to peck through like the others and it seems a bit sloshy with no movement. I'm kinda sad about it but I'm happy with how all of the others are doing. I'll keep you posted!

* A cute side note- My banty hens are besties and the other hen couldn't stand being away from her friend so she just joined her in the nesting box and they have been sitting together for the past couple of weeks. The poor chicks aren't going to know who to follow!
lau.gif

The proud mamas and their first baby! I'll post more pics ASAP

Day 21 and so far we've got Ethel and 2 CCL boys. I moved them into a brooder box so the remaining 8 eggs can hatch undisturbed. (Ethel is a tad bit pecky and needed no introduction to chick crumbles.)

Par usual, the marans are late. I'll let the eggs sit for a couple of days before we candle. I see NO pips in any of the 8 still in the incubator.
(BTW, misted with water when I went in to get the chicks and shell remnants, not a drop of a degree in humidity.

My Brower brooder still has the four from last hatch in it, so the newest trio have an EcoGlow and Mason jar feeder and waterer to keep them occupied. They look so tiny compared to the four nearly one-month-olds. The coop is progressing, but as with most things construction not at the pace I'd like. (I would've like it finished yesterday, but I'm still framing)

I'll take pics tomorrow of Ethel & Co., but for now they're all tucked under the EcoGlow for the night.... If I'm lucky, maybe I'll have more hatching to report about tomorrow.

Thanks everyone for all the advice!!!

Day 18 lockdown!!! Can't wait to see some fuzzy little ones running around. I still have 19 that are moving. :yesss: Not much room for some of them. I'm so excited .

Quote:
Best wishes for a healthy happy hatching! I still have three days before lock down...only chicks could get to want the weekend to fly by!!!

at 3 pm today it was officially day 21 and those eggs are not doing anything. No cheep, no pip, nothing, nada, zero. I thought maybe I should
frow.gif
to them and maybe they would want to come out, but nope. Then I thought a
rant.gif
would get their fluffy butts moving but again nada. I
he.gif
trying to think what might motivate my little babies to get moving. I finally
duc.gif
and instead of
smack.gif
DH who suggested that I leave them alone and come to bed I am going to give them some
hugs.gif
tell them how much we
love.gif
them and instead of
pop.gif
I'm headed to bed and hope to wake up to
jumpy.gif

Last edited:
3 Days until my remaining Silkie eggs go into lock down :) I hope atleast one hatch so Lucky will have a friend :) I have 7 more silkie eggs and 6 egg from my flock due in 3 weeks. This is so addicting!! haha

Check out my incredibly chunky chick!
So so fluffy, really dense down.

Does anyone know of breeds with dense down like this? I'm trying to work out what he/she is.
Very broad chest and wide set.

The possibilities of purebred mixes are:

Silkie - all colours
Orpington - all colours
Welsummer
Speckled sussex
Black rock
Copper maran
Cuckoo maran
Buff sussex
Light sussex
Light brahma
Faverolles
Cream legbar
Brown layer
Pekin bantam

If anyone has any thoughts on sex that would be great too, but I know it's pretty much impossible at this stage
hmm.png

Looks identical to one of my black copper maran chicks. Great chick!!!

Back
Top Bottom