September Hatch-A-Long

Well, folks, my chickens reached hatching day... And I find I'm having increasing difficulty balancing humidity in my brinsea mini advance. I may just have to break down and get a hydrometer from the pet store. The first hatch I had too high of humidity because of constant rain but this one I shrink wrapped the chicks even though I filled the water pots full on day 18. Only one hatched out, pipped the wrong way, and he's all alone in his tiny little brooder. He likes to hide somewhere dark and soft and warm so I took a red solo cup and lined it with scrap rabbit fur on the top and paper towels partially shredded at the bottom. He loves to run and hide in his little cup. It's where he sleeps at night, and I think it makes him feel a wee bit less lonely. (No idea if it's actually a boy or not.)

I think if I get a real hydrometer I will have a lot more success. I won't hatch out any more until I know what my humidity levels are like.

September hatching complete with 4 EEs, 6 Brahmas, 2, SLW, 1 chick I am really confused about....and 12 eggs in lock down, which will be in Oct. :)

Lennie and Squiggie, 1 day old SLW - Photo taken 2 days ago.
Great hatch! Chicks are so cute!!
yippiechickie.gif

I had 19 eggs go into lock down. I have 9 hatched. One probable will not make one of his legs will not straighten out and the other leg is a little twisted. My husband was reading chick orthopedic but sense the leg won't straighten out the ortho won't help. Praying it works it's self out. The other 8 are doing great. 8 more have pipped, one I can't tell it there is a pip, the last one was put in a half a day late. Will post pics soon. They are so cute.

I had 7 eggs I put under a bantam hen. some were from a fridge, some were straight from a hen. The hen I used got off the nest for LONG lunches which caused a delay in hatch. I have moved chicks to incubator. So even though day 21 was monday this is what I have so far.The above chick hatched monday, the below chick hatched today day 22, and 2 more are in air cell. I will not help until Thursday which may be day 24 but only if there are no veins when I shine light through egg
That being said, I have hatched out many a chick in the past. both Incubator and hen. my rule of thumb has been, (so I do not expect too much or rush a hatch) If I see the chick in air cell meaning the triangle of a pointy beak, then the next day will be a pip of outer shell. Just a pip. when that pip is made, they are not ready to hatch they are just trying to get air to breathe and rest. (the first breath of air helps to absorb the yoke.) the egg is still full of blood and veins.. it may be 12-24 hrs later that the even make the hole bigger, once all the veins and yoke are absorbed it will continue to hatch.. For me anyway internal pip means 2 days to hatch.

day 22 hatch. glad I waited. Blue Isbar/legbar. came from a blue egg.

Is it a cross? If not, then I would definitely say Isbar. But it's cute either way. If it's a cross then its a good example for me when my Isbar hen gets old enough to walk with the CL roos. I only had two Isbars successfully hatch, and then my splash one died. She was so pretty. Your's looks like she/he will be a looker too.

Back
Top Bottom