September Hatch-A-Long

when the outer pip happens there is still a whole ball of yoke in the shell, but if it hatches early, dab some flour on the navel it helps stop bleeding if there is any.

the chick usually has to poke through a bit of membrane to breathe. I think the blood on the membrane, and the pain the chick feels from that makes it so the chick doesn't even want get out. at least for a while.

Never thought of the flour either. I had a early hatcher last hatch. Piped and started zp day 18, early day 20 she was out of the shell. I am thinking this one will be out around the same time.

Blood on the membrane means the chick hasn't fully absorbed the yolk sac yet. When the yolk on the outside gets turned into the yolk on the inside of the chick the blood supply will be in the chick. Until then if you pierce the membrane you run the risk of the chick bleeding out.

Oh I'm not messing with it. Just saying she piped started to zip but you can clearly see there are still veins on the membrane that she still needs to absorb. I don't mess with hatches, they come out on their own when they ar ready. Besides s/he piped on day 18 and its only day 19 now.

Thanks everyone for the advice. Reading everyone experience has really help with my hatch! I've had a really great hatch. 19 went to lock down and 18 hatched but one of those didn't make it due to his legs not working properly. They last one hasn't pipped. I candled it and didn't see any movement. I have such great mix of chicks.

Anything I need to do? Looks like he isn't closed completely.

This is one special needs chick. Poor thing. cross over beak and his right eye is weird. Either no eyelid or no eye I can't tell.
Obviously won't be used as breeding stock.

Back
Top Bottom