September Hatch-A-Long

The main thing would be to keep it quiet and isolated from other chicks as they would peck at the rawness. I've found you can place them in a small Tupperware container in the incubator (lid off, of course) or even an empty yogurt cup if it's a small chick. Hopefully the umbilical sac/hernia will pull in in a day or two. The isolation will also allow the chick to catch up to being a chick... Looks like he was a tad eager to hatch!

Poor little thing. I had one hatched yesterday that had the same thing. As she started to dry out it did too. I put a little antibiotic ointment on it. Looked at it last night and it looks pretty good. I think the biggest issue is if there is anything coming out of it. There are lots of threads about that on here.

Well the baby detached on itself. Poor thing has so many problems dont know if it is genetics. E-bay eggs so I can't say. His right eye never fully formed and has a cross beak. S/he will not be used for breeding. s/he is the only one that hatched. only 2 made it to lockdown. I still have 1 more egg waiting to hatch.

hugs.gif
sorry to hear. this is why I suggested dabbing with flour.

I think I worded that wrong. The chick is fine, it detached just fine. and Seems to be healed. Sorry it's been a long night. As of right now s/he is still alive and a fluffy Silkie.
Just not sure what happened with its development. Why it only has one fully developed eye?

it might not have had enough heat at one point.

here is my morning hatch. all eggs went under mom hen at the same time but the hatch has been staggered because mom got off nest too much and had to finish incubation in house. I had one hatch on monday, one on tue, one on wednesday,

and these 3 today.

I have these 3 separate they are still wet. I am waiting for them to stand before putting them with active chicks. of these I have 2 blue Isbars pures, and one legbar/isbar dark one.

Yeah, that or genetics. I got the eggs from ebay so its hard to tell. I have a 10 day old chick who is lonely who this chick will join once s/he is walking and active. Is there anything I need to do to introduce the two? I am hoping this second egg hatches, also but only time will tell. but I have a feeling it isn't alive.

I like to have a hand warmer near by so if chicks peck each other they can go into a box together. ususally I have noticed they all get along. some times the older one gets pecked because the young one will be curios. below is the group waiting for the wet ones. The tall dark one is 2 and a half weeks old. she was the youngest in a diff. batch I had, so when the 2 next smallest hatched she helped them. the 2 next to her are 1 and a half weeks. the very smallest is the first of this last batch. that will be it till maybe next spring.

I think the cross over was genetic. The second egg didn't make it but I opened it up to see if it had the same genetic issues. Had cross over beak, not as bad as the Silkie who hatched this morning. Couldn't see the eyes though to see if it developed correctly. I will be introducing the chick to Lucky today. I have 4 for hatches, the latest due October 17th. I'l be happy once Lucky has her friend with her so she can start actign like a chicken.

Back
Top Bottom