Show off your Peas!

I have no idea on what wormer we use, some are injections for cattle and horses and some we just squirt in the horses mouth I will ask my dad what the wormer is.
The wormer that you want is Safeguard or Panacur, liquid *or* paste. If you have the antibiotic LA200 (oxytetracycline), that might be helpful as well.

Sigh... Can you bring her inside where it's warm? Sick birds need to be kept warm, 80° to 85° is ideal. She's probably also dehydrated and will need fluids and I'd start with 60ml every 4-6 hours.

DylansMom is correct, it's not usually the disease that kills them, it's dehydration and starvation. Bad news is once they lose too much weight they don't usually recover. @Birdrain92 , this is an emergency, if you can find a vet to see her today that would be your best option. Do you have fish-zole, Baytril or Safeguard? Can you go to Tractor Supply and get a large syringe and to a Petsmart to get a tube, babybird food and metronidazole?

From: http://avianmedicine.net/content/uploads/2013/03/07_emergency_and_critical_care.pdf
Supportive Care
SICK-BIRD ENCLOSURES
Sick birds are often hypothermic and should be placed in heated (brooder-type) enclosures b (Fig 7.7) in a quiet environment (see Chapter 1, Clinical Practice). A temperature of 85° F (29° C) with 70% humidity is desirable for most sick birds. If brooders are not equipped with a humidity source, placing a small dish of water in the enclosure will often supply adequate humidity. A moist towel that is heated and placed on the bottom of a cage or incubator rapidly humidifies the environment, as indicated by the fogging of the acrylic cage front.

FLUID THERAPY
Oral Administration
Oral administration is the ideal method of giving fluids. This method is more commonly used in mildly dehydrated birds or in conjunction with subcutaneous (SC) or intravenous (IV) therapy. Oral rehydration (30 ml/kg PO q 6-8 h) also may be used in larger birds (eg, waterfowl) that are difficult to restrain for parenteral fluid therapy.

ORAL NUTRITIONAL SUPPLEMENTS
Below are listed some of the oral nutritional supplements that can be gavage-fed to debilitated birds. Various hand-feeding formulas are on the market and, as a whole, are far superior to the homemade formulas used decades ago that contained monkey biscuits, peanut butter and ground seeds. Commercially available hand-feeding formulas for baby birds are often utilized in the treatment of sick and debilitated adult birds. The quantity that can be fed at one time to a sick bird is greatly reduced from that of baby birds. On the average, a baby parrot can accommodate 10% of its body weight per feeding due to the elasticity of the crop and its rapid emptying. Adult birds have a greatly decreased crop capacity, averaging 3% of their body weight. Additionally, sick birds are less tolerant of food in the crop and care must be taken to avoid regurgitation and/or aspiration. A sick or debilitated bird should always have its hydration corrected prior to attempting to initiate oral gavage-feeding.

-Kathy

Glad you are here Kathy! I'm better at "doing" than "telling others how to do" the first aid stuff. Wish I was close to him, I have all the meds and equip and just got a supply of baby bird formula and a set of 30 syringes. I hope we do not lose Thor/a/Calypso she is almost like a mascot.

Glad you are here Kathy! I'm better at "doing" than "telling others how to do" the first aid stuff. Wish I was close to him, I have all the meds and equip and just got a supply of baby bird formula and a set of 30 syringes. I hope we do not lose Thor/a/Calypso she is almost like a mascot.
You're pretty darn good at giving advice and I agree, it is too bad that we aren't closer.

-Kathy

Symptoms that I can see: Loss of weight, poop all over her butt and the poop is looks like if it's almost made of nothing but water so I think she's drinking but not really eating, the wormer we have is called Ivermectin for our large livestock and that says 1 ml for every 110 pounds and the wormer we have for our dogs is Heartz UltraGuard plus which is 5 ml for 5 lbs. The LA200 sounds very familiar. I looked at some of the diseases in my poultry book that I have though I'm sure it doesn't list all but the one that sounds like it could be the disease affecting her is Avian Influenza. The other disease that sounded like it could be it but can't would be Coccidiosis, but the treatment is says to apply is Amprolium which is in the feed they eat so I don't think it's that disease.

It's probably blackhead, E. Coli, some type of enteritis, worms or maybe coccidiosis. Ignore that it says their poop is yellow with blackhead, trust me, sometimes it is, sometimes it isn't. Medicated feed does *not* prevent coccidiosis and it certainly *won't* treat it, that is a fact. Capillary worms can also cause what you're seeing.

So my guesses are:
  • blackhead
  • E.Coli
  • Enteritis
  • Worms
  • Coccidiosis

Clock is ticking... you really should get Safeguard, metronidazole, baby bird food, syringe, tube and maybe LA200 *before* Tractor Supply and Petsmart close, I'm afraid she doesn't have much time left.

I know lots of people here do use ivermectin with their poultry, but I have seen studies that say it's not an effective poultry wormer.

-Kathy

Symptoms that I can see: Loss of weight, poop all over her butt and the poop is looks like if it's almost made of nothing but water so I think she's drinking but not really eating, the wormer we have is called Ivermectin for our large livestock and that says 1 ml for every 110 pounds and the wormer we have for our dogs is Heartz UltraGuard plus which is 5 ml for 5 lbs. The LA200 sounds very familiar. I looked at some of the diseases in my poultry book that I have though I'm sure it doesn't list all but the one that sounds like it could be the disease affecting her is Avian Influenza. The other disease that sounded like it could be it but can't would be Coccidiosis, but the treatment is says to apply is Amprolium which is in the feed they eat so I don't think it's that disease.

I lost 2 peachicks to Coccidiosis last summer, both were eating the feed medicated with amprollium. The feed only has enough amp. in it to knock the cocci down a bit so the bird can build up a natural resistance to it, it doesn't have enough to get rid of it completely. My vet said it was likely my chicks got some other bug that put them off the feed then they were getting no amp. and the cocci was able to multiply and become damaging. If she doesn't appear to be eating because the poop is watery she isn't getting any amp. either. It sounds to me like you need to get feed in her, what's her favorite treat? maybe try some scrambled eggs with some feed in them, if that doesn't work you've got to tube feed or you will lose her. Mine were gone 24-36 hours after the onset of noticeable symptoms. Is that Ivermectin injectable? and what is the active ingredient in the Hartz?

The feedstore I go to also lost 3 peachicks to coccidiosis, they were about 12 weeks old. And yes, they were being fed medicated feed.

-Kathy

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom