The Silver Laced Wyandotte Thread

Mine look just like yours!! Ill get a better picture tomorrow. Yay a friend!

How old are they?
I noticed it only let me post 2 arghh! I just processed the remaining and kept the bottom one in the end. They are around 8 months now and he had the best lacing. Not the greatest comb but he's a Pullet breeder so won't have meaty combs anyway. Something to work with
1f44d.png

Is there any chance this is not a cockerel? It's a 12 week old hatchery chick. it has never shown any roostery behavior, but is very skittish and unfriendly. I don't see any saddle feathers or hackle feathers coming in.

Is there any chance this is not a cockerel? It's a 12 week old hatchery chick. it has never shown any roostery behavior, but is very skittish and unfriendly. I don't see any saddle feathers or hackle feathers coming in.
It looks like my hatchery cockerels. Don't be fooled by a lack of "rooster behavior"; 12 weeks is still really young. Mine are 5 mths old, and still not crowing- but they are definitely cockerels.

Well, that sucks, but I pretty much knew it was a boy a few says after I brought him homewhen he was a week old. How old are slw cockerels before they start crowing? All the other roos I've grown were so obviously roosters by now.

[/IMG]
I'm afraid I know the answer to this already but.....my SLW was supposed to be a pullet......thoughts? 4 months old, never talks unless picked up. Total loner.

Well, that sucks, but I pretty much knew it was a boy a few says after I brought him homewhen he was a week old. How old are slw cockerels before they start crowing? All the other roos I've grown were so obviously roosters by now.
Some of mine (various breeds) have started at 2 months, while others seem content to wait. Oddly enough, some of my current GLW started a couple months ago, while my SLW of the same age haven't started yet. They are all 5 mths at this time. All cockerels are individuals!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom