The Wyandotte Thread

My GWL LAY Brown eggs I don't have a pic of them but that is what color GWL LAY I hope that helps
Dark brown ? Yes that helps cause that rules Goldie out and means my broody finally started laying after 3 months. Thank goodness. I am getting two rounder brown eggs. I have a barred rock , I know one is hers for sure! Then I have 3 RIR they lay a more oval shape and of course almost same color. Do your girls lay rounder or oval? Yes thank you for the help!! I'm down to my last two pullets any day. One being my GLW . I need to get a camera and film them while I am gone. Does anyone do the trap door thing? Of course I would do it while I was home for the weekend. I can see it now 2-3 in at once yelling away at each other
1f61c.png

My GWL LAY Brown eggs I don't have a pic of them but that is what color GWL LAY I hope that helps

my columbian wyandottes all lay a cream or almond colored eggs ..
I'm going to take a picture of the couple new ones I have acquired in the last week. I'm so confused between her and my rock maybe that way you guys can tell me which u think may be hers.

My GLW lays a light pinkish brown egg.
My blue laced red bantams also lay a very light brown egg.
my columbian wyandottes all lay a cream or almond colored eggs ..
after looking at pictures I'm thinking the middle two speckled eggs. The first two are my rock she's been laying for awhile. Her egg is always rounder . Then the bottom two would be my old english game who thought she wanted to go broody 3 months ago. Just starting to lay again. Yeah ! Also, they are to light. I have had a few speckled eggs over last two weeks. Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't it calcium deposits ? Am I feeding her something wrong or is it pretty normal? I'm a newbie. Hard to see speckled sorry. Thank you for all the responses ! If I didn't have so many different breed of brown layers it wouldn't be driving me crazy trying to figure it out! I'm obsessed when it's time to see who paid rent
1f603.png
1f414.png
1f373.png

Last edited:
Has anyone on here had issues with fertility with their wyandottes?
I have two hens and one rooster, they are mating all the time.
One hen went broody over a clutch of eggs but nothing came of it.
After 20 something days and then candling the eggs, there was no evidence that any of them ever were fertile so I cracked a few open- sure enough, there was nothing.. Sigh..
I ended up buying 5 x day old chicks for her to adopt which went really great.. I guess all wasn't lost afterall.. I still want to hatch some of my own though :-(
I've just bought a small incubator (it holds 7 eggs) and I want to try again but I can't tell if my eggs are fertile!
Here's a picture of yesterday's fresh egg:

And here's a picture of today's fresh egg:

Can anyone tell me if they are fertile?
I have been googling this topic to death trying to find answers..
The breeder that I bought the baby chicks off said that she's heard of some people having to "trim" some of the feathers away from the vent area to increase fertility.
I've given this a of a few weeks ago, other then that, I'm lost with what else to do?..
My rooster is about 12 months old and is very "active" with the ladies..

^^ he looks so much nicer without his rooster collar on but unfortunately the neighbours wouldn't agree, lol..
Can anyone help me out?

Ok, so my incubator arrived here last Saturday morning and I've set 7 of my eggs in it to try and get to the bottom of this,
We are on day 5 today, I candled them all this morning but I can't really see anything going on yet, no veins or anything.. Maybe it's still too early to tell?
My other hen has gone broody as of yesterday over some fake eggs I had set in the best box so I need to find out of my eggs are fertile to decide if I will set her own eggs underneath her or if I will have to buy some fertile eggs to give her..
Ahh I really wish that breeding my own chickens wasn't so complicated!
Hatching my own eggs would be my ultimate goal but I want to increase the size of my flock this year before I have to wait for next spring/summer to try again..

Ok, so my incubator arrived here last Saturday morning and I've set 7 of my eggs in it to try and get to the bottom of this,
We are on day 5 today, I candled them all this morning but I can't really see anything going on yet, no veins or anything.. Maybe it's still too early to tell?
My other hen has gone broody as of yesterday over some fake eggs I had set in the best box so I need to find out of my eggs are fertile to decide if I will set her own eggs underneath her or if I will have to buy some fertile eggs to give her..
Ahh I really wish that breeding my own chickens wasn't so complicated!
Hatching my own eggs would be my ultimate goal but I want to increase the size of my flock this year before I have to wait for next spring/summer to try again..
I believe there should be a faint additional circle around the one in your picture. Some you can see better .

I have a question if anyone here might know the answer?,
I have 2 gold laced wyandotte hens and 1 gold laced wyandotte rooster (who seems to be infertile).
I also have five 8week old baby chickens that I purchased as day olds(3 hens and 2 roosters)- they are blue laced gold wyandottes.
Now my one of my hens have gone broody and it appears that my eggs still seem to be infertile so I've been looking around for a "plan B". I'm thinking about buying some fertile eggs from a local backyard breeder but they are purebred silver laced wyandotte eggs.

My question is, if I have gold laced, blue laced gold and silver laced wyandottes all free ranging together in my yard, would this affect the quality of any offspring that I might want to hatch down the track?
I really just enjoy this breed and the different colour variations in the lacing so it's not overly important that they are "perfect" or anything but I do enjoy having nice looking birds in my yard.
They should only throw out one of the combinations that I would already have right?

I hope this makes sense!
Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom